Sign in to follow this  
Pabs

Time to stick 'yer neck out...starting line up for Wigan?

Before this week''s pre-season games (which will probably give us a good indication of the team for Wigan) can anyone predict our starting line up AND subs for Wigan away?

A pat on the back and a half-eaten Mars bar for the winner...

Mine:

GK: Ruddy

RB: R Martin

CB: De Laet

CB: Whitbread

LB: Tierney

DM: Fox

DM: Johnson

AML: Surman

AMC: Hoolahan

AMR: Bennett

SC: Holt (c)

Subs - Rudd, Barnett, Naughton, Crofts, K Smith, Morison, Jackson.

This is based on Pilkington, Ward, Vaughan missing from injury and the fact that Crofts'' knock could rule him out of friendlies this week...? That was very difficult, considering all our new signings etc!

I would agree that is the most likely line-up, as I can see us playing fairly defensive away from home! Not long to go now

Ruddy, R.Martin, Barnett, Whitbread, Tierney, Surman,Crofts,Johnson,Hoolahan,Holt,Morison

subs-Rudd,De Laet,Drury,Smith,Lappin,Bennett,Jackson

excluding injuries etc

Ruddy

R.Martin           Barnett          De Laet       Tierney

Fox  

Crofts (if not injured)/Bennett           Surman/Johnson(if Crofts in injured)

Hoolahan

Holt                       Jackson

Very difficult, as I think Johnson could well be in the starting line up, but I think Lambert will start with the diamond with Fox in front of the back four. I think if Crofts is fit then he will start on the right of the diamond, with Bennett coming on later as a sub. If Crofts in injured however, then Bennett on the right and Lambert may well play Johnson instead of Surman on the left, to add some bite in midfield which we would be missing if Crofts was absent.

[quote user="ncfc_tooze"]Ruddy, R.Martin, Barnett, Whitbread, Tierney, Surman,Crofts,Johnson,Hoolahan,Holt,Morison

subs-Rudd,De Laet,Drury,Smith,Lappin,Bennett,Jackson

excluding injuries etc[/quote]

acctually change drury for naughton

You could be right, but if Holt plays on his own and still inists on doing his bit in defence, where is the target man?

What concerns me a little is that Holt will do well to lay-off and head down, but to whom - only Wes is likely to be forward, apart from the wide players.

I shall look with interest at the remaining games and the Wigan game, to see what PL decides. Given Bennett and Surman able to supply crosses, logically we need Holt and Morison to get on the end, but are they too similar, and could they get in each other''s way? I wouldn''t rule out Simeon or Martin C, the latter has had a good pre-season in terms of creativity

In the midfield I would go for Crofts rather than Johnson because of the former''s all round game and scoring record.

In defence Tierney seems to pick himself, although with de Laet able to play there, Tierney may have to deliver the goods. Similarly Martin and Naughton. In the centre the quickest pairing would be de Laet and Barnett. This seems a very marginal decision.

But we have almost two weeks yet before Wigan, and there may be injuries and other surprises!

Depending on injuries in the next 2 games i''d go for:

Ruddy

Martin

Barnett

De Laet

Tierney

Fox

Johnson

Bennett

Hoolahan

Holt

Jackson

Subs from: Rudd, Whitbread, Naughton, Morison, Crofts, Smith, C Martin, Surman

Ruddy
Martin     Barnett     De Laet    Tierney 
                        Fox
       Crofts                     Johnson
                     Hoolahan
        Jackson                    Holt

[quote user="Pabs"]Before this week''s pre-season games (which will probably give us a good indication of the team for Wigan) can anyone predict our starting line up AND subs for Wigan away? A pat on the back and a half-eaten Mars bar for the winner... Mine: GK: Ruddy RB: R Martin CB: De Laet CB: Whitbread LB: Tierney DM: Fox DM: Johnson AML: Surman AMC: Hoolahan AMR: Bennett SC: Holt (c) Subs - Rudd, Barnett, Naughton, Crofts, K Smith, Morison, Jackson. This is based on Pilkington, Ward, Vaughan missing from injury and the fact that Crofts'' knock could rule him out of friendlies this week...? That was very difficult, considering all our new signings etc![/quote]

I would say Crofts & Barnett ahead of Johnson & Whitbread

Ruddy, R Martin, De Laet, Whitbread, Tierney; Fox, Crofts, Hoolahan, Surman; Holt, Jackson

Subs: Rudd, Naughton, Barnett, Johnson, Bennett, Morison, Wilbraham.

I reckon Jackson will start against Wigan, with the diamond formation retained. Am I the only one who thinks Wilbraham may get on the bench?

Personally cannot see many changes from the team that won at Portsmouth, but things will evolve over the season, with Surman & Jackson being most at risk.

RB: R. Martin

M: Crofts

M: Fox

M: Johnson

AM: Bennett (free role)

AM/S: C. Martin

S: Holt

I think Lambert is keen to play a 4-2-3-1 system, he knows Holt is capable of playing the lone striking role and has tried Morrison alone a few times this summer.

Ruddy

Naughton, Barnett, De Laet, Tierney

Fox, Johnson

Bennett, Hoolahan, Surman

Holt

Some tough calls because R.Martin, Whitbread, Crofts, Morrison, Jackson and C.Martin are right in the mix.

Having just watched the Coventry highlights i''ve now changed my mind. That midfield for the last half an hour looked quality and it was interesting to see Naughton playing left back. I think Lambo may be tempted by that option as i think he wants to get pace in the team. I think he may go for:

Ruddy

R.Martin, De Laet, Whitbread, Naughton

Bennett, Crofts, Hoolahan, Surman

Holt, Jackson

Ruddy

Martin, Barnett De Laet, Tierney

Fox

Crofts Surman

Hoolahan

Holt Jackson

I personally prefer Whitbread to Barnett, but think Barnett will start with De Laet. Bennett could start in midfield, i''m not convinced Surman will though. I think it will depend on the next two friendlies though.

Canary on the trent, Holt can''t play the lone striker role, he barley plays up front anyway. Having him as the lone striker, based on his performances and play style over the past couple of seasons, seems like a way to really limit his output, as he has no strike partner.

The reason he does so much work outside of the box is the diamond system, it requires the strikers to run the channels and create space, notably for Hoolahan. If the strikers remain narrow the system fails with absolutely no width (bar the full backs), it requires fluidity and movement up top and in midfield to open up defences.

If instructed to remain more central and around the box in a 4-2-3-1, I''m sure Holt can adjust his game accordingly.

[quote user="Pabs"]Before this week''s pre-season games (which will probably give us a good indication of the team for Wigan) can anyone predict our starting line up AND subs for Wigan away?

A pat on the back and a half-eaten Mars bar for the winner...

Mine:

RB: R Martin

DM: Fox

DM: Johnson

AML: Surman

AMC: Hoolahan

AMR: Bennett

SC: Holt (c)

Subs - Rudd, Barnett, Naughton, Crofts, K Smith, Morison, Jackson.

This is based on Pilkington, Ward, Vaughan missing from injury and the fact that Crofts'' knock could rule him out of friendlies this week...? That was very difficult, considering all our new signings etc![/quote]

Like that, bit of pace.

I feel confident Holt will definately start, not sure why some have said Morison/Jackson

Very difficult to pick the midfield particularly, since they have all settled well and are playing good football. However I think I''d go with the same team as yours Ben apart from Jackson. I''d be tempted to play Morison instead. If Crofts is unfit, I''d play Bennett in his place.

I get what you mean Canary on the Trent. Its just i am just worried that he won''t be as good playing as an out and out striker, something maybe Morrison or Vaughan can do better, as it seems like a huge chunk of Holts career has been playing like he has for us the past couple of season.

I hope if we are going to play the 4-2-3-1 formation, Holt can pull it off, i''m sure he will be fine, but perhaps will lose a bit of that extra something he provided by chasing all around the pitch, which when playing as the lone striker he can''t do as much.

Also, i just think with 6 strikers seemingly in the 25, that we will be wanting to play two most of the time. Vaughan, Jackson and Martin can probably play behind Holt in the 3 AM/wingers, but i feel Jackson, and probably Vaughan won''t be as effective there (although can then move into the middle striker slot when Holt goes running off), but C.Martin seems more like an AM than a striker anyway based on his championship showing lasyt season.