Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

Cody to Sheffield Wednesday?

I think that born 200 years ago you would have benn a slave trader and your demands for a financial piece of Cody''s future are disgusting. If as a Club we don''t want Cody to play for us we should wish him well and send him on his way asking only that we should be covered for the balance of his contract should he choose to sue the club.

[quote user="banburygreen"]not if he scores the goals that gets them out of that divison .... a la Holt for us[/quote]

Very true. [Y]

[quote user="paul moy"][quote user="First Wizard"]

They reckon we want 600 grand for him..seems a tad steep imo.

http://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=153212&st=200

[/quote]

Not in the context of what he will be worth next season after he has knocked in 25+ in League 1.  You only have to look at what CMS has moved for and he is nowhere near as good a finisher as Cody.

[/quote]

You''re going down fighting, I''ll give you that! [;)]

Indeed.... I have the same sick feeling in my stomach that I had when Mills and Sherwood left for a pittance.  

[quote user="paul moy"]Indeed.... I have the same sick feeling in my stomach that I had when Mills and Sherwood left for a pittance.  [/quote]

At the end of the day it''s your view against several respected football managers/CEOs - Lambert says he''s not good enough, and a couple of other Clubs (presuming Megson was talking about him)  have said he is not worth what we are asking. So, that''s three (us, Peterborough and SW) who disagree with your assessment of his abilities.

[quote user="paul moy"]Indeed.... I have the same sick feeling in my stomach that I had when Mills and Sherwood left for a pittance.  [/quote]

but those 2 had other issues and had to leave .... Mills falling out with Walker and Sherwood going on strike (or at least missing before a friendly) ... they both were disruptive inflluences and had to be moved on asap.

I have no issues with Cody and wish him well wherever he goes.

I think both sides are going a bit too far.

Paul Moy, i agree with you to an extent, but rate Lamberts judgement much higher than yours or mine or anyone else''s on this message board. Cody may appear to be a good footballer, but he''s obviously not good enough, because he wasn''t here last season, when Martin, Jackson, Wilbraham where all getting games.

But the other side, also seem to be going a bit too far, he isn''t utter rubbish, and if we want £600k for him, that means he''s definatly got some talent. He may well go on to score 20+ in League One, and might even then perform well in the Championship, but there is a huge difference in quality between the top three leagues, and Cody hasn''t proven himself in any (ok he hasn''t actually had a chance yet, but isn''t he nearly 26 now? even considering the late start he had in professional football, he''s going to find it hard to develop too much further i think the best he can hope for is fitting into a team perfectly like Holt did here.)

Completely agree with Gingerpele.

With Holt, Vaughan, Jackson, Martin, Wilbraham, Morison all in front of him, what''s the point in keeping him?

I did think it was probably worth keeping him at one point, but after seeing Wilbraham banging them in and probably meaning Lambert will keep him around there is really no point in having two lower league strikers in our Premier League team.

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]

At the end of the day it''s your view against several respected football managers/CEOs - Lambert says he''s not good enough, and a couple of other Clubs (presuming Megson was talking about him)  have said he is not worth what we are asking. So, that''s three (us, Peterborough and SW) who disagree with your assessment of his abilities.

[/quote]

Fair enough but it''s not a vote and I know that I am going to be proved right.... the guy has pace, can finish with head or foot and is definitely better than Jackson. I''ll remind you doubters in due course.

"You''re going down fighting, I''ll give you that! Wink [;)]"Lol!What people have to realise is that we''re not big enough to hang on to players becasue we think they could be premier league hot shots in future. Man Utd are doing exactly that with RDL and have done so with countless others like Darren Gibson or Danny Wellbeck. If Cody does go on to make it to the prem with another team and do well, all sorts of people will come on here feeling vindicated and shouting "i told you so" etc etc. But for NCFC right now, the most important thing above all else it taking the strongest possible 25man squad in to the new season in a couple of weeks time, with the best chance of keeping us up. We can''t be thinking about which player might help keep us up in two years time. Man U can, we can''t. Not now at least. It''s pretty absurd therefore, to suggest at some point in the future we will ''regret'' letting him go. It''s a judgement call to do so, and unless you can say he improves our squad for this season, it''s the right call imo. Plus, it''s Lambert''s call, so that''s good enough for me. He has earnt our trust in the last two years wouldn''t you say!?

Of course it''s Lambert''s call and he is naturally sticking stubbornly to his own signings.  Steve Bruce did similar with Andy Johnson when selling him to Crystal Palace and badly regretted it.  That''s life !!  

[quote user="paul moy"][quote user="Joanna Grey"]

[/quote]

Fair enough but it''s not a vote and I know that I am going to be proved right.... the guy has pace, can finish with head or foot and is definitely better than Jackson. I''ll remind you doubters in due course.

[/quote]

I believe Cody is not regarded as a particularly intelligent footballer. While he has moderate pace and can finish, what he does off the ball is not considered good enough for most Championship teams.

Before we signed him, he was scouted by a lot of teams who opted not to take the punt.

Like he is with Holt, Wes and Lappin? Like he is with McNamee and Oli Johnson - his signings who clearly aren''t in the final 25 plans. Why not just accept that it''s nothing more than a judegment call based on who the best 25 players are to keep us in the Premier League? PL rates Cody, the timings have just not worked out for him. Besides, you never know, he may go out on loan.

[quote user="Larry David"][quote user="paul moy"][quote user="Joanna Grey"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I believe Cody is not regarded as a particularly intelligent footballer. While he has moderate pace and can finish, what he does off the ball is not considered good enough for most Championship teams.

Before we signed him, he was scouted by a lot of teams who opted not to take the punt.

[/quote]

A year or so ago I would have agreed, but he has come on in leaps and bounds and has shown massive improvement and will continue to improve as he has only worked under a top professional coach for two seasons after having spent his previous time in non-league. He admitted last season that he was finding professional football much harder and was gradually adapting to the rigours and becoming stronger. His pace is also much better than moderate.  

[quote user="paul moy"][quote user="Joanna Grey"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I don''t think you do.

But in the off chance that it''s not just your opinion, can you PM me a few other facts from the future? Seems like easy money to me. You must be minted.

[quote user="paul moy"][quote user="Larry David"][quote user="paul moy"][quote user="Joanna Grey"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

A year or so ago I would have agreed, but he has come on in leaps and bounds and has shown massive improvement and will continue to improve as he has only worked under a top professional coach for two seasons after having spent his previous time in non-league. He admitted last season that he was finding professional football much harder and was gradually adapting to the rigours and becoming stronger. His pace is also much better than moderate.  

[/quote]

Compared to the players you want him to be playing against (ie. in the Premier League), he is not that quick and he doesn''t have the brains to really add anything else to his game. He''s a lower league player at best and always will be.

I am sure that if we had stayed in the championship he would have got a chance. Promotion ended his potential career here particularly with the new signings he was so far down the pecking order his chances were remote. If wehave a striker problem come January i am sure they will buy in someone with a more proven track record. He has 1 year on his contract and he needs to play games. a league 1 side is probably favorite although a lower championship one may take a punt. His transfer value will be modest

Oh dear it seems like alot clubs dont want to pay our asking price for Cody which is I believe around £500,000 to £600,000.  Well call me crazy but why is that deemed totally unrealistic to other club managers?  CMS went for £3 mil we have paid £1.5 mil and up for "unproven" strikers at prem level so how much do these clubs think hes worth £300,000 to £400,000 or even less?  He''s young, scored 25 goals last season and was Gillinghams player of the season and still had time to be out injured for a short while.  Strikers always comand a premium and I personally dont think we are being greedy, although I do hope he finds another club for his benefit and ours.

I find it amusing that other clubs seem to think they can dictate the price of our players. We dont need to sell so we can put the fee as however much we want.

If we can''t get our price then send him out on loan and keep our options open. If he scores 15 by xmas offer him a contract extension and then sell him for 1-2m with add-ons in the summer or keep him.  Recall him in Jan if we are struggling with injuries etc. You know it makes sense....

Birchfest,

Thats not strictly true. Cody has a year left on his contract and it appears that he will not make the 25 man squad. Unless we are able to sell him by the end of August we are looking at a loan and kissing goodbye to any transfer fee. Ultimately, we will have to settle for the price that the market will stand and it looks like we are in a game of poker with a number of clubs. The nearer we get to the deadline, the more volatile the situtation will becoem for buyers and sellers.

This is the same issue Arsenal face with Nasri, but at least they have an alternative as he will make their 25 man squad and they can choose to lose their transfer fee entitlement in exchange for a season''s football. Unfortunately, PL has set out his stall and we will have to sell at the best price we can get.

[quote user="paul moy"]If we can''t get our price then send him out on loan and keep our options open. If he scores 15 by xmas offer him a contract extension and then sell him for 1-2m with add-ons in the summer or keep him.  Recall him in Jan if we are struggling with injuries etc. You know it makes sense....[/quote]

Paul,

You are now truly clutching at straws. If we did as you say, we would be taking a huge gamble on persuading Cody to stay post Christmas. After all, in January he would be free to sign a pre-contractual agreeement with other clubs. It simply isnt going to happen.

[quote user="Desert Fox"]

[quote user="paul moy"]If we can''t get our price then send him out on loan and keep our options open. If he scores 15 by xmas offer him a contract extension and then sell him for 1-2m with add-ons in the summer or keep him.  Recall him in Jan if we are struggling with injuries etc. You know it makes sense....[/quote]

Paul,

You are now truly clutching at straws. If we did as you say, we would be taking a huge gamble on persuading Cody to stay post Christmas. After all, in January he would be free to sign a pre-contractual agreeement with other clubs. It simply isnt going to happen.

[/quote]

Agreed... I am clutching at straws [:D]

What a talent we are wasting here.

He could be the new Jamie Cureton..

Seems to me the best bet would be to drop our asking price on the condition of certain clauses (including a hefty sell-on percentage) in the sale contract.