Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

Cody to Sheffield Wednesday?

I saw this somewhere else yesterday, I think Wednesday have said they''ve made an offer for a striker on the fringe of the squad of a prem team, and speculation is that it''s Cody.

I think that would be an excellent move for him.

Not a bad move if true.A big club in the doldrums.Could be a big boost to his career if he does well.

Old news...

Megson also disclosed that the Owls are trying to sign a fringe player from a top flight club and are attempting to sign on loan another player with a Premier League outfit. He said: “Obviously when you are going for players who are Premier clubs, there is a great deal of competition.”

http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/owls_eye_norwich_striker_1_3627360

And of course I would have posted that yesterday but I''m unpopular enough as it is without starting ''another Cody thread''. [;)] [:P]

If true, Sheffield Wednesday fans should be doing high-fives and cartwheels! Cody is just the type of hot-shot you need in that division. I predict huge success for him at that club - and he deserves it after not being allowed to play regularly here. 

I''m still not sure Simeon Jackson is a superior player than Cody. Style-wise Cody reminds me of Kevin Phillips - someone who always knows where the back of the net is. Within 12 months I have a feeling Cody will be in the same bracket as DJ Campbell. If Cody''s knees are more robust than James Vaughan''s, I dare say we''ll regret letting him go...

[quote user="Mello Yello"]I''d rather he stayed here.....[/quote]

I''d still rather hope that he would stay here.....

We will regret this, but I hope it happens as he obviously is not rated here by people who should know better IMO, and good luck Cody as I''ve got you down to score 25-30 this season. 

[quote user="Norfolk Mustard"]

If true, Sheffield Wednesday fans should be doing high-fives and cartwheels! Cody is just the type of hot-shot you need in that division. I predict huge success for him at that club - and he deserves it after not being allowed to play regularly here. 

I''m still not sure Simeon Jackson is a superior player than Cody. Style-wise Cody reminds me of Kevin Phillips - someone who always knows where the back of the net is. Within 12 months I have a feeling Cody will be in the same bracket as DJ Campbell. If Cody''s knees are more robust than James Vaughan''s, I dare say we''ll regret letting him go...

[/quote]

I agree with all of that, especially the bit on Jackson. The problem is that any manager stands or falls by his own signings so tends to stick with them come what may.  Megson''s standing will thus be sky high !!!!!

[quote user="Mello Yello"]

[quote user="Mello Yello"]I''d rather he stayed here.....[/quote]

I''d still rather hope that he would stay here.....

[/quote]

Sorry Mello,e''s gorn!! I miss him already[:''(]

[quote user="star_manic"]just visited a sheff w board. last post on 17th july so nothing about cody (or anything else for that matter)[/quote]

I got there before you and was interested to see that they have Jon Otsemobor and Clinton Morrision in their squad. [:P]  

Wherever he ends up, a lower league club will get a decent goalscorer.  Fair play to Bryan Gunn & the coaching staff for taking a punt on him, and I hope he goes on to have a successful professional career.  At the end of the day, it has to beat scaffolding as a way of making a living.

I''m going to throw my opinion in, for what it''s worth, as a big fan of Cody. I rate him, think he could do really well, and I firmly believe that we may regret selling him. But.... I do think it''s the right thing to do, deep down, because I don''t think he is ready for minutes in the Premiership. I think it''s the right thing for Cody McDonald, because he has just come off of a season where he played with a lot of confidence, having lost his confidence at Carrow Road. He will lose it again here, he needs to be playing football. So good luck to him, thanks for the effort you put in when called upon, and I hope you score 25 goals again next season. I just hope we stick some decent clauses in, I want us to be putting in a big % of profit clause in the deal, say 30% of profit on next sale. If we sell him for £500k and he ends up moving for £2.5m, then a £600k windfall would soften the blow wouldn''t it? Lambert is capable of using that £600k extremely well, that''s what I would like to see. And if Lambert isn''t here, and we are playing Championship football, that £600k still represents enough to buy another talented lower league player. In addition, I want to see some other clauses too. Like £250k for any season that he scores 25 goals for Sheff Wed whilst they are in the Championship, unless it falls in a relegation season, as well as £500k if he plays over 20 games in a season that Sheff Wed get promoted to the Premier League. Basically, if he ends up moving for £500k to Sheff Wednesday then that is potentially embarressing for this football club and for McNally and for Lambert, and could come back to haunt us if we go down and he Wednesday go up, only for him to outscore every striker on our books. He is quick, clever, can finish with either foot, can score with his head, works hard, and has a great attitude. If however we put in place a deal which saw our remuneration rise in line with his success, it would prevent us ever being known as the club which sold Cody McDonald for peanuts. That is my only concern, other than that I really want him to do well and hope that he rips League One apart.

If Mr Lambert had brought Cody in and not Gunny.....Would Cody be on the surplus list?

Personally, I think Cody coming off the bench, could be a better choice than Chris Martin....

Jackson has made the ''transition'' from the Gills that Cody represented so well last season - and remember the critics giving Jacko a slating before he found his shootin'' boots at NCFC.....So what makes people think that Cody at Carra can''t do the same?

Still, Lambo knows best..... 

If Mr Lambert had brought Cody in and not Gunny.....Would Cody be on the surplus list?

Personally, I think Cody coming off the bench, could be a better choice than Chris Martin....

Jackson has made the ''transition'' from the Gills that Cody represented so well last season - and remember the critics giving Jacko a slating before he found his shootin'' boots at NCFC.....So what makes people think that Cody at Carra can''t do the same?

[/quote]I think that C. Martin isnt going to be used as a striker anymore, it appears that Lambert is going to use his work rate, control and passing range at the tip of the diamond instead.

I''d rather he stayed but trust Lambert in which case that would be a great move for the lad.

I think he''d do well there and get a fair few goals. Could help them to get back into the Championship.

At the end of the day he needs to be playing games and he wont get them here with the berth of strikers we have.

Good luck to him wherever he ends up.

If CM won''t sign new contract he will need to be sold, rather he stayed pointless unless PL to use CM in the Prem.

[/quote]Lambert has shown himself more than willing to use Gunn signings if he rated them. Grant Holt was a player that Gunn bought, whilst Lambert was very complimentary of Gill. I firmly believe that Lambert gave his signings every chance to impress him, in fact with the squad that he inherited he was probably crossing his fingers that a few of them turned out to be gems. It was Gunn who kept Chris Martin at the club too remember, Roeder would have sold him to Luton for £50k, Gunny gave him a new deal. Same with Lappin actually.I think the reality is that Gunn just made poor signings. People like OTJ, Gill, Askou, in reality were simply League One quality players. They got used a bit, but were never going to make the cut in The Championsip. Hughes is a bit different, he has suffered from injuries, might have featured a bit in the Champs if he had been fit and ready, but this is a step too far for him. I honestly can''t look at any Gunn signing asides from Grant Holt as good enough for a decent Championship team, with the exception of Cody who is a season of League One football away from being a Championship football at a time when we are looking to establish ourselves in a league which he probably won''t reach. So I have no problem whatsoever with Lambert in that respect, all those players have had opportunities and the club has simply progressed too far for those opportunities to be possible now. I support the decision to axe every player that has been axed, although in terms of Steven Smith that is probably for reasons other than ability.

I just wish we''d move him on pretty quickly so that I can place a couple of potentially very lucrative bets.  [:P]

Also I''d prefer that he goes to a southern side where I can watch some good value football !!  

Victims of our own success with Cody, there''s no doubt that he would be banging them in for us next season if we were not prem.

I really want the guy to stay, desperate for him to stay even, but if he''s not going to get a start then Lambert really has no option, it''s cruel to stunt the guys career.

I just hope Cody appreciates that he has a cult following here and isn''t bitter about the club or supporters if/when he moves on.

Cody was unlucky in that we improved as a club quicker than he improved as a footballer. If we hadn''t gone up I reckon after a few months on loan to someone in League 1 and he would have been ready to join our 1st team squad after Christmas. However there is no way he is ready to step up to the Premiership and now if we do get relegated we''ll be in a position where either we have a good number of strikers with top level experience ready to tear up the Championship, or we''d have sold them and that along with our parachute payments will mean we can cherry-pick the best strikers outside the Premier.

Overall though I think its been a really good deal for both us and Cody. He scored some good goals for us and indirectly helped us achieve promotion by being part of the deal to bring Jackson to the club. On top of that when we sell him we should be getting a good return on our investment. For Cody he got taken from non-league to a very professional team, got some great training and a chance to show his stuff. By the end of his career he''ll have made more money that he could have dreamed of before we took a chance on him.

Goodbye Cody, and good luck.