Sign in to follow this  
Shaun Tilly Lace

How many away games will we win this year?

I reckon between 4 and 6. Away days seem to be PL''s strong suit. Whatever happens, I expect Lambo''s team to improve on Worthy''s dismal zero away wins in the Premiership. Some decent away results could be key to the team''s survival in the Premiership.

I go for between 4 and 8, depending on whether a certain individual is replaced as first choice in his position within our squad.

as an outsider looking in, i can`t believe you think that of the 20 prem teams, you may beat as many as 8, away!!. realistically i reckon you`ll win 2 maybe 3 on the road. not saying you`ll lose the rest obviously!...

If I was one of those annoying people who picked up every little mistake I''d say at least 5 with wins against Sheffield Utd, Barnsley, Leciester, Ipswich and Portsmouth already in the bag for this year! I''d be very happy if this 5 turned into 7 by the end of the calendar year (Wigan, Bolton, Villa, Everton, Wolves are the only games where I''d predict that we had a chance of picking up a result, let alone a win).  Moving into 2012 there is a run of away games (QPR, WBA, Sunderland, Swansea, Stoke, Newcastle, Fulham) where we could pick up some points.So for 2011/12 I''d be very happy with 4 or 5 away wins in total.

I think any team looking to stay up needs at least 2 away wins, providing the home form is solid. Hard to really say though, Blackpool went down with 5 away wins i think, and i think Fulham once stayed up having only won once away from home. Hopefully we can get an early win on the road, considering we didnt win one last time we were here, it could become a bit of a talking point and weigh us down a bit.

I expect/hope 2 or 3 wins this season away anyway, also key to pick up a few draws on the way as well. Then hopefully our main bulk of points will come at FCR, enough to get to that elusive 40 point mark.

[quote user="Smudger"]I go for between 4 and 8, depending on whether a certain individual is replaced as first choice in his position within our squad.

[/quote]Why beat around the bush smudger? You think 4 if Ruddy is in goal and 8 if we sign someone else! By your reasoning, he would also lose us four home games, meaning he would single-handedly lose us eight games. Crazy! I can already hear the boo''s coming from the snakepit when he runs out on the pitch at the first home game! [:S]

I''m going for 3 or 4, the binner above is forgetting about our super ability to score in the 90th minute which I reckon will win us a fair few points next year. The best that we can hope for is that we can steal a point from most games, by playing ugly football if we have to, and of course that we survive Stamford Bridge and Old Trafford without major humiliation.Carrow Road is where its at, that''s where we can get the ball down and play the way that we want to. I want to see us attacking every home game, playing with real confident, but if we have to play for draws away from home then so be it.

[quote user="Smudger"]I go for between 4 and 8, depending on whether a certain individual is replaced as first choice in his position within our squad.[/quote]I am surprised that you claim to rate Lambert so highly, yet clearly consider him to be a poor judge of player. Today I have seen you slag off Wilbraham and Ruddy, by doing so you are effectively doubting Lambert. I look at the players leaving Carrow Road and I genuinely believe that the right players are leaving. Would I have Fraser Forster here to potentially displace Ruddy? Sure I would, but only because Forster is so f''in good, I would certainly take Ruddy over Greeno.

[quote user="Thecanaryfan"]Two. Wigan and Chelsea cus Im going to both and its costing me £150 for the tickets alone![/quote]Lol, good luck with that. I suspect the most you can hope for is a goal in the Chelsea game! Plus we never win in London anyway, whenever I bought a ticket for a London game I''ve looked at it and thought "I''ve just bought a ticket to see Norwich lose".

[quote user="exiled blue"]as an outsider looking in, i can`t believe you think that of the 20 prem teams, you may beat as many as 8, away!!. realistically i reckon you`ll win 2 maybe 3 on the road. not saying you`ll lose the rest obviously!...[/quote]You obviously haven''t seen much of us under Lambert then?Not saying we will win as many as 8 away from home, but we could if our defence and goalkeeper perform well.  We are better away from home than we are at home under Lambert.  I wouldn''t expect us to win too many more games at home to what we will on the road this coming season.

[quote user="LeJuge"][quote user="Smudger"]I go for between 4 and 8, depending on whether a certain individual is replaced as first choice in his position within our squad.[/quote]I am surprised that you claim to rate Lambert so highly, yet clearly consider him to be a poor judge of player. Today I have seen you slag off Wilbraham and Ruddy, by doing so you are effectively doubting Lambert. I look at the players leaving Carrow Road and I genuinely believe that the right players are leaving. Would I have Fraser Forster here to potentially displace Ruddy? Sure I would, but only because Forster is so f''in good, I would certainly take Ruddy over Greeno. [/quote]Taking finance out of the quation for a minute, there is absolutely no way on earth I would take Ruddy over Greeno.  Greeno is a far superior keeper and the best that we have had at Carrow Road since Chris Woods in my book.I will leave my thoughts on Wheeliebin in the associated thread.I do rate Lambert highly but I ain''t daft enough to suggest that he doesn''t make mistakes.  Everybody makes mistakes - you wanna see the amount of players I don''t rate in a squad of a manager that I don''t rate! [;)]

Why is everyone so down-beat about this season already?

I''m hoping we will ALL our games!....anyting else is out of the question!

(i''d settle for a mid-table finish now though!) 8-)

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="LeJuge"][quote user="Smudger"]I go for between 4 and 8, depending on whether a certain individual is replaced as first choice in his position within our squad.[/quote]I am surprised that you claim to rate Lambert so highly, yet clearly consider him to be a poor judge of player. Today I have seen you slag off Wilbraham and Ruddy, by doing so you are effectively doubting Lambert. I look at the players leaving Carrow Road and I genuinely believe that the right players are leaving. Would I have Fraser Forster here to potentially displace Ruddy? Sure I would, but only because Forster is so f''in good, I would certainly take Ruddy over Greeno. [/quote]Taking finance out of the quation for a minute, there is absolutely no way on earth I would take Ruddy over Greeno.  Greeno is a far superior keeper and the best that we have had at Carrow Road since Chris Woods in my book.I will leave my thoughts on Wheeliebin in the associated thread.I do rate Lambert highly but I ain''t daft enough to suggest that he doesn''t make mistakes.  Everybody makes mistakes - you wanna see the amount of players I don''t rate in a squad of a manager that I don''t rate! [;)][/quote]I''m not comparing Ruddy with Greeno when he played at Norwich, I''m comparing Ruddy with the Greeno of the last 3 years, a confidence shot player who had been error prone before the World Cup and even more error prone after it. Yes I would take 2005 Robert Green over 2011 John Ruddy, but under no circumstances do I rate 2010 Robert Green any higher than 2010 John Ruddy. I''m also looking at Ruddy and seeing a player who is very young for a keeper, seeing as keepers tend to peak in their early thirties (something which Robert Green and Richard Wright did not do).I''m not very old, mid-twenties, but I''m old enough to remember David James at Liverpool. I wouldn''t have taken the Liverpool David James, but the David James at West Ham, Man City, and Portsmouth, was the best English keeper around (in his thirties). I''m keeping faith in Ruddy and suspect that he will improve at lot season by season. For me the Ruddy v Green argument is a choice between a player on the up and a player on the down.

Looking at the Ruddy scenario again Le Juge, I can see clearly why Lambert & Co are choosing to place their faith in him at this moment in time.We only have two spare places in our 25 man squad and bringing in another keeper at this moment in time will leave just one place.  I guess that Lambo wants to keep his options open to bring other players in either towards the end of August or during January?  It is a brave move in my opinion and hats off to him if it pays off.  I would still be tempted to go for another keeper though.As for Greeno, I don''t believe that he becomes a bad keeper overnight.  Capello''s England were never going to achieve anything at the World Cup and Greeno was sat behind an awful defence at West Ham last season.  I am sure that he will come good again wherever he is this year.  Again I can see why we wouldn''t go for him down to finances though.

As for Wheeliebin, I consider him a waste of space in our 25 man squad.  I don''t consider him anywhere near good enough to play in the Premiership and I would rather that space in the squad have been freed up so that we could have brought another keeper in and still had two spare places to fill in our squad later in the season.

We will win easily 12 games and draw 3. Our away record will keep us up. While our home form will push us into Europe. Anyone fancy Bayern Munich away next season?

I have been thinking about this for some time and believe quite strongly that as few as 3 away wins will keep us up.

That is because I believe we will secure 7 or 8 home wins, add those to a few draws and it should keep us safe.

I actually believe we will probably win about 4 away, draw about 7 and lose the rest...which wont be too bad actually...!

[quote user="Smudger"]As for Wheeliebin, I consider him a waste of space in our 25 man squad.  I don''t consider him anywhere near good enough to play in the Premiership and I would rather that space in the squad have been freed up so that we could have brought another keeper in and still had two spare places to fill in our squad later in the season.[/quote]Minus the senior players who have been deemed surplus to requirements, it has been concluded that we are left with 23 senior pros plus various players under 21. Lambert has said that he has finished (although I wouldn''t rule out a loan or two towards the end of August). By losing Wilbraham we will have 22 senior pros deemed sufficient quality by Lambert. He isn''t keeping anybody out of the squad who is of any use, unless you are saying that you think the 4 or 5 unwanted players should be in the squad. If we had 28 great senior pros, and 3 miss out on the cut, and you believe that one or two are better than Wilbraham then you might have a case.... otherwise your argument is illogical.Unless of course you are suggesting that OTJ, Oli Johnson, and Stephen Hughes, should be in the 25.... in which case somebody would have to go. I can''t see how any of those players are better than Wilbraham. At current we have space for two more players over 21, which leaves the possibility of further additions to the squad. Who is it that you think should be in the 25 over Wilbraham? Even if we sign two more players that takes us up to 25.....

[quote user="LeJuge"]I''m going for 3 or 4, the binner above is forgetting about our super ability to score in the 90th minute which I reckon will win us a fair few points next year. The best that we can hope for is that we can steal a point from most games, by playing ugly football if we have to, and of course that we survive Stamford Bridge and Old Trafford without major humiliation.

Carrow Road is where its at, that''s where we can get the ball down and play the way that we want to. I want to see us attacking every home game, playing with real confident, but if we have to play for draws away from home then so be it.

[/quote]

The ''binner'' is actually a Man City fan, and to be honest I wouldnt expect our ability for last minute goals to necessarily have hit his radar.  Not many supporters of clubs in the prem pay much attention to those in the Football League

In response to the original post, I think 3 - 4 is a not - unreasonable expectation from the following:

Wigan

QPR

Blackburn

West Brom

Villa

Newcastle

Sunderland

+ 1 ''surprise'' against one of the top 6 teams (Liverpool, Man C, Man U, Arsenal, Spuds and Chelsea) - with the Gooners usual implosion at the end of the season possible favourite at the moment (by the way Im not suggesting we''ll win ALL of the above)

To be safe we really need 10 - 11 wins - so if we can get 3 or 4 away that eases pressure at home.  8 wins on the other hand (bearing in mind that we only got 10 wins out of 23 last year - and we''ve only got 19 games this year) is just unlikely

[quote user="LeJuge"][quote user="Smudger"]As for Wheeliebin, I consider him a waste of space in our 25 man squad.  I don''t consider him anywhere near good enough to play in the Premiership and I would rather that space in the squad have been freed up so that we could have brought another keeper in and still had two spare places to fill in our squad later in the season.[/quote]Minus the senior players who have been deemed surplus to requirements, it has been concluded that we are left with 23 senior pros plus various players under 21. Lambert has said that he has finished (although I wouldn''t rule out a loan or two towards the end of August). By losing Wilbraham we will have 22 senior pros deemed sufficient quality by Lambert. He isn''t keeping anybody out of the squad who is of any use, unless you are saying that you think the 4 or 5 unwanted players should be in the squad. If we had 28 great senior pros, and 3 miss out on the cut, and you believe that one or two are better than Wilbraham then you might have a case.... otherwise your argument is illogical.Unless of course you are suggesting that OTJ, Oli Johnson, and Stephen Hughes, should be in the 25.... in which case somebody would have to go. I can''t see how any of those players are better than Wilbraham. At current we have space for two more players over 21, which leaves the possibility of further additions to the squad. Who is it that you think should be in the 25 over Wilbraham? Even if we sign two more players that takes us up to 25..... [/quote]Personally I think we may get a couple in ONLY if we can shift the 3 or 4 off the books.  Those 3 or 4 may be happy to sit on their arses for a season picking up a wage for absolutely **** all.  That''s a lot of dosh for dead wood.

Anyway on topic. 3 or 4 away is not out of the question.  Get a couple of midweek, midwinter games, a great leveler for our 90+ minute scrappers vs the gloves and snoods show ponies.

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Smudger"]I go for between 4 and 8, depending on whether a certain individual is replaced as first choice in his position within our squad.

[/quote]Why beat around the bush smudger? You think 4 if Ruddy is in goal and 8 if we sign someone else! By your reasoning, he would also lose us four home games, meaning he would single-handedly lose us eight games. Crazy! I can already hear the boo''s coming from the snakepit when he runs out on the pitch at the first home game! [:S][/quote]Hey Lapp - did you get the email I sent you the other night?Back on topic - we''ve been as good as we''ve ever been on the road under Lambert and I would still expect us to be positive in many of the games we play.  We''re fit, organised and adventurous enough to score plenty of goals and that will hopefully see us through against the so-called weaker sides.

Get a couple of midweek midwinter games? You''ve obviously not looked at our fixture list we only have 2 - Wolves in December so not a lot in the snood department, and the other is Sunderland, which is fair enough......

[quote user="Smudger"]As for Wheeliebin, I consider him a waste of space in our 25 man squad.  I don''t consider him anywhere near good enough to play in the Premiership and I would rather that space in the squad have been freed up so that we could have brought another keeper in and still had two spare places to fill in our squad later in the season.
[/quote]

Once the 25 (or less) are named they can''t be changed until the transfer window. So if we name 23 we have to go with those unless they are under 21 years old or free agents.  So we will have to go with Ruddy and Rudd until January unless ''extraordinary circumstances'' occur.

aaaah!, i hadn`t realised the `binner` was reference was meant for me!!. the "we scored after 90 minutes" thing was in the championship, i`m well aware of how many late goals norwich scored to win games, i live here and see and hear the same media coverage as most of you.but this is a real step-up, not just in the crappy sky-hype with the `super mega turbo sunday` rubbish, but in the standard of player you are going to be up against, stating the obvious i know, but there`s a fair chance that you aren`t going to be allowed to play the same kind of football that you played in the divisions you`ve just left. it`s natural that you view the world through yellow tinted glasses, you are norwich fans!. i hope you do well, honestly, i do, so here`s to the new season!.

[quote user="exiled blue"]aaaah!, i hadn`t realised the `binner` was reference was meant for me!!. the "we scored after 90 minutes" thing was in the championship, i`m well aware of how many late goals norwich scored to win games, i live here and see and hear the same media coverage as most of you.but this is a real step-up, not just in the crappy sky-hype with the `super mega turbo sunday` rubbish, but in the standard of player you are going to be up against, stating the obvious i know, but there`s a fair chance that you aren`t going to be allowed to play the same kind of football that you played in the divisions you`ve just left. it`s natural that you view the world through yellow tinted glasses, you are norwich fans!. i hope you do well, honestly, i do, so here`s to the new season!.[/quote]I thought that you were a Man City fan for some strange reason?  Do I remember rightly??? [:^)]

you do indeed remember rightly!, i`m living here in norwich now, and have many family members (through marriage to a local girl) who are norwich supporters.

[quote user="Gene Tierney"][quote user="LeJuge"][quote user="Smudger"]As for Wheeliebin, I consider him a waste of space in our 25 man squad.  I don''t consider him anywhere near good enough to play in the Premiership and I would rather that space in the squad have been freed up so that we could have brought another keeper in and still had two spare places to fill in our squad later in the season.[/quote]Minus the senior players who have been deemed surplus to requirements, it has been concluded that we are left with 23 senior pros plus various players under 21. Lambert has said that he has finished (although I wouldn''t rule out a loan or two towards the end of August). By losing Wilbraham we will have 22 senior pros deemed sufficient quality by Lambert. He isn''t keeping anybody out of the squad who is of any use, unless you are saying that you think the 4 or 5 unwanted players should be in the squad. If we had 28 great senior pros, and 3 miss out on the cut, and you believe that one or two are better than Wilbraham then you might have a case.... otherwise your argument is illogical.Unless of course you are suggesting that OTJ, Oli Johnson, and Stephen Hughes, should be in the 25.... in which case somebody would have to go. I can''t see how any of those players are better than Wilbraham. At current we have space for two more players over 21, which leaves the possibility of further additions to the squad. Who is it that you think should be in the 25 over Wilbraham? Even if we sign two more players that takes us up to 25..... [/quote]Personally I think we may get a couple in ONLY if we can shift the 3 or 4 off the books.  Those 3 or 4 may be happy to sit on their arses for a season picking up a wage for absolutely **** all.  That''s a lot of dosh for dead wood.[/quote]It wasn''t the point I was trying to make at all.I deem Wheeliebin not good enough and I would have named just 22 players in the squad at this moment in time, therefore leaving either 3 places to fill, or still another two to fill if we had have signed another goalkeeper (which I also believe that we need).To put it another way, I would rather we be going in to the season with another goalkeeper in the squad at the expense of Wheeliebin, with two spare places remaining in our squad to fill at a later date.