Sign in to follow this  
Canaries Utd

City v Zaragoza unofficial match thread

Out of interest after watching the game tonight, presuming that was close to our starting 11, where do people think we will be the weakest

Strikers, Midfield or Defence ?

Anyone know why the Zaragoza manager felt the need to stride over to the home dugout during the first half and accuse someone (presumably Lambert) of being a "martha farker"? Having earlier been threatened by the ref with being sent to the stands for his mock whistling, he was noticeably more subdued in the second half. Maybe someone fluent in Spanish had a few words at half time!

[quote user="Northluck C."]Anyone know why the Zaragoza manager felt the need to stride over to the home dugout during the first half and accuse someone (presumably Lambert) of being a "martha farker"? Having earlier been threatened by the ref with being sent to the stands for his mock whistling, he was noticeably more subdued in the second half. Maybe someone fluent in Spanish had a few words at half time![/quote]I think Lappin was the interpreter!

I''m surprised our Spanish friends finished with 11 players on the pitch, some nasty tackles were flying in and Morison was slapped round the face by their No.17 and my god did they whine when things didn''t go their way, their Manager was spoken to by the Ref for whistling when he thought they should have had decisions.

Probably never going to be that friendly. The talk in our house before the game was that Real Zaragoza have just about the worst disciplinary record in Spain and were maybe not the best choice for a ''friendly''. It sems like some of their indiscipline may be influenced by the behaviour of their manager judging by reports.Big sigh of relief that there were no injuries.

Agree with Jay''s analysis. 

De Laet looks pure class on what I saw last night. Quick, calm on the ball with neat and tidy distribution from the back and also very good in the air. Would be surpised if last night''s CB pairing of De Laet and Barnett is not first choice for Wigan. Couldn''t really see what happened on the goal but apart from a couple of minor mix ups they looked pretty comfortable together I thought.

Naughton - RAPID. Seemed very good defensively and going forward. Looked more comfortable imo when moved from LB to RB though.

Fox stood out for me aswell at the base of the diamond. Some of his passing was scholesesq.  He controlled the whole pace of the game and I dont recall seeing him give it away once. Great cross for the goal aswell.

Bennett showed glimpses of his ability to take players on and to put dangerous balls into the box and Pilkington also looked sharp for the short time he was on the pitch given that this was his first outing in pre-season.

Have to agree about Johnson.  I really want to like him and I think people will warm to him as he definitiely puts a shift in and gets a lot of the ball but unfortunately his touch let him down on quite a few occasions last night. Having said that I don''t think playing on the left is his preferred position? He seemed a similar sort of player to Crofts but with a slightly inferior pass completion rate.  Only basing this on what I saw last night though and sure he will come good.

I thought we looked to be more of a threat when Wilbraham came on. I don''t understand some of the criticism towards him - have we actually seen him have a bad game in a Norwich shirt? Not an out and out goalscorer and maybe lacking a bit in the pace department but definitely handy around the box imo.

All in all, a pretty dull affair other than the floodlight failure and Tierney''s now trademark attention seeking exploits! But good to see some of the new players in action and plenty of positives to be taken.

Not being able to get to the match last night and wanting a report and not being able to find much detail I looked on the Real Zaragoza home page and translated their report. It makes interesting(?) reading!

Draw in the rain against Norwich (1-1)

Real Zaragoza has been tied to one in their second pre-season encounter, played in the stadium of Carrow Road against Norwich City, set in the English Premiere League. The meeting has played before more than 10,000 fans, including a small group of zaragocistas, and under a heavy rain.

Soon the zaragocistas warned that they had intended to do with the victory. Once in the first minute of game local Grant Holt assailant above the goal of Toni Doblas, Abraham interned by the left leading to a double opportunity to Pintér and Juan Carlos, that point has been to open the scoring.

Shortly thereafter, at the 5 minute has been Braulio who receive back, has tried to beat the goal defended by Ruddy. However, his shot went over the crossbar.

Thereafter local, strengthened by its audience, have launched on attack, dispose of the ball and a greater number of opportunities. Thus in the 8 minute walls dispelled under sticks a good inmate of Norwich City. Six minutes later, 14, Laet Ritchie completed head to network a lack launched by the British from the left. Zaragocista bench protested the move to understand that the player was in unlawful position.

On a similar play in the 18 minute it was Barnett who was looking for danger. But since then and until the conclusion of the game, zaragocista goal remained impenetrable for locals. In another played ball stopped was the local centre forward, Holt, who threw out the ball to the right of the Aragonese goal.

The game tightened at times, with entries from some rudeness and a growing tension that made little thinking it was a friendly match which were fighting both sets.

Just a few minutes before the break, however, Real Zaragoza stretched their lines and seizing of the spherical and a corner forced by walls, Braulio top door, winning the tie that ultimately would be final.

At the resumed Aguirre introduced five changes in the team. Precisely one of the players of soda, Lafita, launched two zarpazos forced the Norwich goalkeeper to be used to fund, 48 and 56 minutes. When Real Zaragoza appeared to throw a party there was a power outage that forced them to suspend the meeting for about a quarter of an hour.

After the interruption, the Norwich had some choice, while Toni Doblas was very confident with two providential stops to Morison, in minute 81, and Jackson, at minute 85.

Technical data:

Norwich City: Ruddy, Martin (Tierney, 70), Johnson (Pilkington, 70), Morison (Wilbrahan, 83), Holt (Jackson, 70), Hoolahan, Fox, Bennett, Barnett, Laet of Naughton.

Real Zaragoza: Toni D, Juárez, Lanzaro (Contini, 45), Mateos, walls (Obradovic, 45), Abraham (Laguardia, 45), Ponzio, Pintér, Edu Oriol (Lafita, 45), Juan Carlos (Ortí, 70) and Braulio (Uche, 45).

Referee: Neil Swarbrick. He showed yellow card Juárez by Real Zaragoza at minute 19 for an entry to an opponent.

Goals: 1-0. Minute 14. De laet ends a lack of head. 1-1 Minute 43. Braulio tops off a corner.

Javier Aguirre: "the team is working well"

The technical zaragocista has valued the work of his team. The improvement of the team is "logical, normal, irrespective of the outcome was more loose, team we are still wrong in some transitions but had greater depth"to Javier Aguirre. On the attitude of the players, the technical zaragocista is very happy, "the team is working well". Aguirre has also commented on the formula used by Real Zaragoza for signing Roberto, "it''s a formula that has been used in Spain for many years." "The peculiarity is that the team is in bankruptcy law, but the numbers that are handled are within the budget of the team".

Some interesting phraseology used there!

Charlie Sierra, agree fully with your assessment.

De Laet and Naughton were the best of the new players. Both quick, and De Laet appears to read the game very well. Naughton was better at RB than LB, and made one superbly timed tackle.

Bennett did not do much to influence the game, I felt.

In his cameo, Pilkington made one very threatening run through Zaragoza''s defence, and was physically strong-looking.

Maybe Johnson will improve, but his touch was certainly off tonight. He''s left-footed, so can''t see that he would have been out of position. Could be that much of his game is based on tackling and harrying (he''s certainly built like a brick wall!), and that he''ll really start putting in tackles once the "real" games start.

Of the "old" players, Fox''s passing at times was sublime. Scholeseque, as you say. Barnett looked rusty and won surprisingly few headers.

Perhaps a bit of an obvious comment, but I think this team will be pretty close to the one starting at Wigan.

[quote user="cityangel"]

Out of interest after watching the game tonight, presuming that was close to our starting 11, where do people think we will be the weakest

Strikers, Midfield or Defence ?

[/quote]

Defence I still think. De Laet really stood out alongside Barnett, but I don''t think they can work as a partnership. They didn''t seem to communicate very well, espeically when they went down the same channel and nearly knocked each other over. I''d like to see Whitbread play alongside him.

Thoughts of the game, it was boring. I didn''t like the look of Johnson really. I like his tenacious approach but he is abit sloppy. I hope to see an improvement. Everyone else did ok. Ruddy had a good game in my opinion, couldn''t do much about the goal he conceded and made some good reflex saves.

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]

Not being able to get to the match last night and wanting a report and not being able to find much detail I looked on the Real Zaragoza home page and translated their report. It makes interesting(?) reading!

Draw in the rain against Norwich (1-1)

Real Zaragoza has been tied to one in their second pre-season encounter, played in the stadium of Carrow Road against Norwich City, set in the English Premiere League. The meeting has played before more than 10,000 fans, including a small group of zaragocistas, and under a heavy rain.

Soon the zaragocistas warned that they had intended to do with the victory. Once in the first minute of game local Grant Holt assailant above the goal of Toni Doblas, Abraham interned by the left leading to a double opportunity to Pintér and Juan Carlos, that point has been to open the scoring.

Shortly thereafter, at the 5 minute has been Braulio who receive back, has tried to beat the goal defended by Ruddy. However, his shot went over the crossbar.

Thereafter local, strengthened by its audience, have launched on attack, dispose of the ball and a greater number of opportunities. Thus in the 8 minute walls dispelled under sticks a good inmate of Norwich City. Six minutes later, 14, Laet Ritchie completed head to network a lack launched by the British from the left. Zaragocista bench protested the move to understand that the player was in unlawful position.

On a similar play in the 18 minute it was Barnett who was looking for danger. But since then and until the conclusion of the game, zaragocista goal remained impenetrable for locals. In another played ball stopped was the local centre forward, Holt, who threw out the ball to the right of the Aragonese goal.

The game tightened at times, with entries from some rudeness and a growing tension that made little thinking it was a friendly match which were fighting both sets.

Just a few minutes before the break, however, Real Zaragoza stretched their lines and seizing of the spherical and a corner forced by walls, Braulio top door, winning the tie that ultimately would be final.

At the resumed Aguirre introduced five changes in the team. Precisely one of the players of soda, Lafita, launched two zarpazos forced the Norwich goalkeeper to be used to fund, 48 and 56 minutes. When Real Zaragoza appeared to throw a party there was a power outage that forced them to suspend the meeting for about a quarter of an hour.

After the interruption, the Norwich had some choice, while Toni Doblas was very confident with two providential stops to Morison, in minute 81, and Jackson, at minute 85.

Technical data:

Norwich City: Ruddy, Martin (Tierney, 70), Johnson (Pilkington, 70), Morison (Wilbrahan, 83), Holt (Jackson, 70), Hoolahan, Fox, Bennett, Barnett, Laet of Naughton.

Real Zaragoza: Toni D, Juárez, Lanzaro (Contini, 45), Mateos, walls (Obradovic, 45), Abraham (Laguardia, 45), Ponzio, Pintér, Edu Oriol (Lafita, 45), Juan Carlos (Ortí, 70) and Braulio (Uche, 45).

Referee: Neil Swarbrick. He showed yellow card Juárez by Real Zaragoza at minute 19 for an entry to an opponent.

Goals: 1-0. Minute 14. De laet ends a lack of head. 1-1 Minute 43. Braulio tops off a corner.

Javier Aguirre: "the team is working well"

The technical zaragocista has valued the work of his team. The improvement of the team is "logical, normal, irrespective of the outcome was more loose, team we are still wrong in some transitions but had greater depth"to Javier Aguirre. On the attitude of the players, the technical zaragocista is very happy, "the team is working well". Aguirre has also commented on the formula used by Real Zaragoza for signing Roberto, "it''s a formula that has been used in Spain for many years." "The peculiarity is that the team is in bankruptcy law, but the numbers that are handled are within the budget of the team".

Some interesting phraseology used there!

[/quote]

Er, what do you really expect of an online translation? I''m sure that it made perfect sense in Spanish... [:|]

I''d be happy with Whitbread and De Laet at the back both are composed and great readers of the game. Barnett is prone to one or 2 mistakes and I think Whitbread and De laets calmness on the ball can only improve Ruddys decision making in goal. I''d love for Pilkington to be ready for the Wigan game he looked class from the small amount of time he was on the pitch and has a bit to him than Johnson.