Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

Wilbraham

Interesting that some think Wolves play ugly football, as much as I dislike Wolves as a club, MM has some good footballing players and when I''ve seen Wolves play on TV last year they rarely played the long ball or ugly football, more like we do.

As for the original question Wilbraham isn''t my first nor fith choice striker but is playing well and deserves a chance.

Comparing what Chrissy and Aaron bring to the team isn''t really possible as they are two different players, Chrissy can hit a superb free kick and scores goals, Wilbraham holds the ball up and spreads the play so each willl be effective against the right opposition.

And as for playing Stoke at their own game by playing dirty would be the last thing you want to do! against stoke we need to play them off the park not what they are good at, in my opinion.

Fingers crossed that whoever plays they put the ball in the net, I love all our strikers, they wear the City Yellow and deserve our support, not being slated as some do on here.

He has a full pre-season with Lambert and Co. under his belt now which can only help. There is a reason that PL likes to get his transfer targets early and that is to make sure everybody is at the same level when the season starts. It is essential to the way we play.

As for the Stoke debate I have to agree with BY&G in that I would never want to see Norwich play that way. I don''t necessarily think there is anything wrong with the way they play (I''m no Arsene Wenger) but I find it incredibly dull. We have secured back to back promotions by playing some of the best football any of us have seen for many a year. We have a tactically astute manager and a group of talented and intelligent footballers. To suggest we are going to forget what has got us this far and start playing ugly when Stoke roll into town in a couple of weeks is pretty short sighted. Should we really be changing the way we play for bloody Stoke?

He has something to offer and there are few downsides as he has and is a cheapish option. I would see him behind Holt and Morison in the big striker role but he is cover for injuries etc and may often come on as sub when we need to go direct or hold up the ball

Russell Martin used to be a joke footballer, until he returned last season after battling illness in League One.

Groans and snide comments from around me in the Barclay greeted Wilbraham''s arrival on the pitch last night. Sure, he may not be the greatest footballer in the world but he is far better than the "awful" footballer some on here would have you believe.

Wilbraham is one of the worst players Lambert has ever bought and is a reminder of several strikers signed by managers such as Roeder and Worthington in his later days. Really can you imagine Wilbraham of League 1 class, up against the likes of Vidic and John Terry.

cf25 - your assessment doesn''t seem to tie up with most of the recent reports about him though. Most who have seen him have been impressed with hi sall round play.

We won''t see too much of him this season but i hope he proves his doubters wrong. The 20or so mins he will get every other week or so might not be enough for him to get on a roll though.

"Really can you imagine Wilbraham of League 1 class, up against the likes of Vidic and John Terry"

Cf25, most players would struggle against Vidic & Terry. Probably including our other strikers. So not really a useful yardstick to measure performance.

The point is whether Wilbraham can make a contribution against the Wigans, West Broms and Blackburns of this world, including in the last 20-30 minutes of games. I think he could.

Would love to see Wilbraham come on and score a classic last minute winner and like Jacko go from zero to hero! I beleive give it a few months peoples attitudes will change... watch this space!

Anyway you won''t have to worry about sitting near me, I''ll be in the Press seats getting paid to be at the game.

Well what a put down.

Get you Mr Superior.

Some people in this thread are idiots, I mean I actually feel pretty embarssed that your Norwich fans. Wilbraham by most accounts is having a good pre-season so far, but what alot of you appear to be missing (and suggests half of you dont know to much about football) is that Wilbraham was never bought as a 20 goal a season striker. His purpose was to be able to do the role that Holt spends most of his time on the pitch doing; that being harrying defenders, holding up the ball and taking the preasure off the defence... and indeed chip in with a goal or two if he gets the chance. If holt gets injured or redcarded in a game where his role up front has been proving to be vital then Wilbraham is the man that can take up that role, The perfect example being reading away last year, Holts size and power was giving them no ends of problems, but the moment he was sent off we had no way of getting the ball up the pitch and taking the preasure off the defence.Please can we just let Lambert get on with picking the squad and resist the temptation to say ''worst signing ever'' when mosty of you couldnt actually give a detailed explanation behind your rediculous claims.

In Lambert''s words "pre-season counts for nothing but fitness" remember when we were in league 1 and Gunny was in charge we won virtually every game comfortably in pre-season with top players such as Goran Maric scoring lots of goals. Even through Wilbraham has scored a massive amount of goals for the club I would still have him as my 6th choice behind ; Holt, Morison, Jackson, Vaughan and C Martin.

This is quite simple in my eyes.

You need a variety of strikers to be flexible and unpredictable. Wilbraham offers us something different.

Here''s a funny thought for some of you ... if you''re a Norwich City supporter why not support him?

I would support whatever player is on the pitch as long as they give 100% for the team and if he continues to play that I''ll always support him and wish him the best on the pitch, but supporting a player does not necessarily mean you think he''s any good. I just think if he only scored one goal in half a championship season what good is he for, there are plenty of other tall strikers who can head the ball and provide assists e.g Danny Graham who we should have signed to create a front three of Holt ,Morison and Graham. Lambert may be the best manager we have ever had but he is human and does make mistakes like any of the best managers in the world.

[quote user="Canaryfan25"]e.g Danny Graham who we should have signed to create a front three of Holt ,Morison and Graham. Lambert may be the best manager we have ever had but he is human and does make mistakes like any of the best managers in the world.[/quote]

So what "mistake" has Lambert made? Not getting into a bidding war with Swansea which would have seen the price of Graham rise above the £3.5m he went for? Get real...

They wanted alot for Danny Graham, wasn''t it 3.5 million in the end? I could see him going all David Nugent and having his confidence shot if he doesn''t hit the gorund running and they have man city first up!

However he could be a DJ campbell and get 10-15 or so goals next season. Will have to wait and see, getting very exciting now, one week and 2 days to go! WOOHOOO

[quote user="Canaryfan25"]I would support whatever player is on the pitch as long as they give 100% for the team and if he continues to play that I''ll always support him and wish him the best on the pitch, but supporting a player does not necessarily mean you think he''s any good. I just think if he only scored one goal in half a championship season what good is he for, there are plenty of other tall strikers who can head the ball and provide assists e.g Danny Graham who we should have signed to create a front three of Holt ,Morison and Graham. Lambert may be the best manager we have ever had but he is human and does make mistakes like any of the best managers in the world.[/quote]Clueless.

I don’t see how you can compare the signings of Wilbraham and Graham. Wilbraham was signed in January as a championship squad player I believe for around £100k. Graham was Swansea’s big summer signing after winning promotion. You would hope the 3.5 million pound man would offer a lot more on the pitch.

Wilbraham was signed to plug a whole in a squad and did his job very well (despite fluffing the odd chance) and from the attitude he has shown I am confident he will do a job in the Premiership if he is called upon. Wilbraham will not be our first choice striker but gives us another option should we need it.

Anybody who thinks Wilbraham is good enough to play in any league above the Blue Square Premier is obviously CLUELESS!! I totally agree with Canaryfan25 and you people who think he''s good should be embarrassed and personally I''m embarrassed to call you Norwich fans.

Wilbraham first set against Chris Martin and found wanting - way different types of players.

Wilbraham then set against Terry and Vidic - not the "typical" opposition, even in the Premier League.

Wilbraham now set against Danny Graham - way different purchase prices.

What next? Wilbraham compared with Delia?

[quote user="Lambert is god"]

Wilbraham first set against Chris Martin and found wanting - way different types of players.

Wilbraham then set against Terry and Vidic - not the "typical" opposition, even in the Premier League.

Wilbraham now set against Danny Graham - way different purchase prices.

What next? Wilbraham compared with Delia?

[/quote]

He probably does a better seafood risotto

[quote user="birchfest"][quote user="Canaryfan25"]I would support whatever player is on the pitch as long as they give 100% for the team and if he continues to play that I''ll always support him and wish him the best on the pitch, but supporting a player does not necessarily mean you think he''s any good. I just think if he only scored one goal in half a championship season what good is he for, there are plenty of other tall strikers who can head the ball and provide assists e.g Danny Graham who we should have signed to create a front three of Holt ,Morison and Graham. Lambert may be the best manager we have ever had but he is human and does make mistakes like any of the best managers in the world.[/quote]Clueless. [/quote]

Wilbraham''s goals are as rare as finding someone from Wigan who doesn''t support Man United.

Once again, Wilbrahams game is less about goals and more about possesion and holding the ball up for the defence. You showing a complete lack of understanding of the game or Lamberts intentions! He also scored a vital goal against the foxes last season, so theres a goal for you!