Sign in to follow this  
O.T.B.C

Mcnamee off.

According to Sky, he has been given a free transfer, maybe to free up room. Need some more sources, maybe Bethnel, but text from season ticket holder than Lansbury has turned down a new contract and will be signing for us. Like I said, not sure how accurate it is, but would be well happy getting in as good as Lansbury for a league one player.

Do you mean ''made available for free'', or ''released from his contract''? Would be surprised if we paid off a whole year of his wages just to get rid of him. Letting him leave without demanding a fee is one thing, but paying a six-figure fee just to get him off the books seems a bit OTT...

If a host of Championship clubs are interested, surely we should be able to at least recoup a nominal fee for him (50-100k)? I''m sure he would do okay at a lower Championship or top League One club.

Definitely wouldn''t release him. I will get beaten down badly for this. But I am surprised he hasnt been given a squad number this season. If we get a bid for him then great but I think he could also do a job within that 25 man squad. We know his limitations, you wouldnt start a game with him. But as an impact sub against tiring players he can influence games. I can think of games such as Swansea (h) and Watford (a) where he really helped to wrestle the initative towards us with his pace.

If there wasn''t a squad limit then maybe keeping him would make sense, but space in the squad is at a premium and there''s just no room.

How much did we pay for him?

[quote user="Beauseant"]

Can someone please relieve Smudger of his tie, belt, shoelaces and anything sharp.

[/quote]

He will not even notice as he is far too busy telling everybody how crap Ruddy is and stating how he was right about Jackson.[:P]

Jacko, although he set up a fair few goals in the first half of last season, the rest of the time he was utter pants. Nothing more than an impact player against tiring defenders, and that won''t happen much in the Premier League.

He is no where near as good as Pilkington, Bennett or Surman, and Lappin is more of a versatile squad player. He hasn''t done enough to warrant a place here this year.

[quote user="AJ Wizard"]Jacko, although he set up a fair few goals in the first half of last season, the rest of the time he was utter pants. Nothing more than an impact player against tiring defenders, and that won''t happen much in the Premier League. He is no where near as good as Pilkington, Bennett or Surman, and Lappin is more of a versatile squad player. He hasn''t done enough to warrant a place here this year.[/quote]

Oh dear me now you have gone and done it.....you do know that Pilkington and Lappin are not on Smudger''s christmas card list as well don''t you?[:''(]

[quote user="Jacko"]Definitely wouldn''t release him. I will get beaten down badly for this. But I am surprised he hasnt been given a squad number this season. If we get a bid for him then great but I think he could also do a job within that 25 man squad. We know his limitations, you wouldnt start a game with him. But as an impact sub against tiring players he can influence games. I can think of games such as Swansea (h) and Watford (a) where he really helped to wrestle the initative towards us with his pace.[/quote]

Impact sub? We have more than enough players in the squad far better than him that will only make the bench.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

[quote user="AJ Wizard"]Jacko, although he set up a fair few goals in the first half of last season, the rest of the time he was utter pants. Nothing more than an impact player against tiring defenders, and that won''t happen much in the Premier League. He is no where near as good as Pilkington, Bennett or Surman, and Lappin is more of a versatile squad player. He hasn''t done enough to warrant a place here this year.[/quote]

Oh dear me now you have gone and done it.....you do know that Pilkington and Lappin are not on Smudger''s christmas card list as well don''t you?[:''(]

[/quote]

I am not for a second implying that McNamee is anywhere near the class of a Pilkington or a Bennett. Both are more hard working and have a far superior end product. But we are allowed a 25 man squad. Given that Korey Smith and Declan Rudd are below the age of 21 we can accomodate at least 2 more players in my book and it seems unlikely we are going to sign any more. In the last 10 minutes if you were absolute going for it to try and nick a result, he wouldnt be the worst option to have up your sleeve. Even if they are not the most technically gifted, players with pace will always pose a defender a problem. I would argue he would be more likely to provide a match winning spark off the bench than a Simon Lappin for instance (although I would not dispute that Lappin is the better all round player).

So you would prefer to not bring on Lappin to supply superb crosses in to Holt, Morison and Wilbraham, but instead pick a player who constantly runs into players or out of play. Sure, makes sense to me!

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="Beauseant"]

Can someone please relieve Smudger of his tie, belt, shoelaces and anything sharp.

[/quote]

He will not even notice as he is far too busy telling everybody how crap Ruddy is and stating how he was right about Jackson.[:P]

[/quote]

Perhaps he does have a point though... [:S]

the guy is rubbish and struggled in league 1 and hardly featured in the championship. He was surplus to requirements and on the basis of his performances i find it hard to see how a championship side would be interested in him. all the best for the future but he was Lamberts Tudor Jones, the only poor signing in a long list of good ones

If Jackson, Cody and Chrissie are all off that doesn''t leave us many strikers does it, Holt, Morrison, Vaughan ( who we cant count on being fit all the time ) and Wilbraham ( who many dont think will cut it in the Premier.

I meant to post 

If  Cody and Chrissie are all off that doesn''t leave us many experienced strikers does it, Holt, Morrison, Vaughan ( who we cant count on being fit all the time ) and Wilbraham & Jackson ( who many dont think will cut it in the Premier.)

CA, Martin isn''t off.... Its just a load of rubbish.

And Cody isn''t an experienced striker, and Martin has not played as well in the Championship as Jackson.

I disagree with the notion that McNamee was a ''bad'' signing.

He played a part in getting us promoted to the Championship, and then played a part (admittedly, lesser) in getting us promoted to the Premiership.

If nothing else, his performance against Watford completely turned the match. If we''d lost that game (which seemed likely before his introduction, and having previously lost 3-0 to Swansea), then it could have all started to slip away.

Suddenly the Forest and Ipswich games would have even more significance, Holt''s injury wouldn''t heal so quickly, and things would - potentially at least - start to go against us.

McNamee was a good signing, As were the likes of Oli Johnson, whose cameo against Southend was equally vital to getting us to this stage if you look at the bigger picture.

The truth is we''ve simply outgrown these players, but without their contribution there''s no guarantee we''d have made it this far.

"If nothing else, his performance against Watford completely turned the match. If we''d lost that game (which seemed likely before his introduction, and having previously lost 3-0 to Swansea), then it could have all started to slip away."

Very true, Canary James. I had the "pleasure" of going to Watford with a neighbour and sitting in the home end as Watford went 2-1 up.

Cue Macca''s introduction. I turned to my friend and said this guy is rubbish. He then turned the game Norwich''s way for the last 20 minutes, skipping past defenders as theough they weren''t there. Did I feel embarrassed!

The point is that he could often turn a game in a 20-minute cameo (Barnsley and/or Burnley home, I think), but was routinely abysmal whenever on the pitch for the full 90 (Donny away, Orient home).

For his own good I''m pleased he''s leaving.

He should be playing week in week out somewhere ... I too wish we had seen more of him in a City shirt but he didn''t fit the rarely failing diamond.

There is one significant point which has not been mentioned.

This is the first Lambert signing to leave the Club.   Previously, he has cleared out the dross he inherited.  Now, we are in the period of Lambert renewal as he upgrades the players he has brought here.   A new era has started.

[quote user="CanaryJames"]I disagree with the notion that McNamee was a ''bad'' signing. He played a part in getting us promoted to the Championship, and then played a part (admittedly, lesser) in getting us promoted to the Premiership. If nothing else, his performance against Watford completely turned the match. If we''d lost that game (which seemed likely before his introduction, and having previously lost 3-0 to Swansea), then it could have all started to slip away. Suddenly the Forest and Ipswich games would have even more significance, Holt''s injury wouldn''t heal so quickly, and things would - potentially at least - start to go against us. McNamee was a good signing, As were the likes of Oli Johnson, whose cameo against Southend was equally vital to getting us to this stage if you look at the bigger picture. The truth is we''ve simply outgrown these players, but without their contribution there''s no guarantee we''d have made it this far.[/quote]

I totally agree with this post.

Our rise through the leagues has been so meteoric that we have ended up with some players not being able to keep up.  Seems to me that Lambert recognises this and buys/sells accordingly - very astute IMO.

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"]

There is one significant point which has not been mentioned.

This is the first Lambert signing to leave the Club.   Previously, he has cleared out the dross he inherited.  Now, we are in the period of Lambert renewal as he upgrades the players he has brought here.   A new era has started.

[/quote]A valid point Cambridge. PL knows that our style of play has to eveolve as we progress uop the leagues and so too must the players. Should we stay up I would expect to see some of the current 25 man squad leave and better players replace them. That''s the nature of the game and why players have limited ''loyalty'' to their clubs. They know they will be shown the door when it suits the club

[quote user="CanaryJames"]I disagree with the notion that McNamee was a ''bad'' signing. He played a part in getting us promoted to the Championship, and then played a part (admittedly, lesser) in getting us promoted to the Premiership. If nothing else, his performance against Watford completely turned the match. If we''d lost that game (which seemed likely before his introduction, and having previously lost 3-0 to Swansea), then it could have all started to slip away. Suddenly the Forest and Ipswich games would have even more significance, Holt''s injury wouldn''t heal so quickly, and things would - potentially at least - start to go against us. McNamee was a good signing, As were the likes of Oli Johnson, whose cameo against Southend was equally vital to getting us to this stage if you look at the bigger picture. The truth is we''ve simply outgrown these players, but without their contribution there''s no guarantee we''d have made it this far.[/quote]

This is just about the most sensible post i''ve seen on this forum in 3 years.