Sign in to follow this  
LeJuge

Current legends?

So, which of our current team have already reached ''legendary'' status alongside the likes of Hucks and Iwan (and perhaps Malky?).  For me, Holt already has both feet over the line. Kids today in twenty years will be telling their own kids about the great centre forward who scored a hat-trick against the scum and over 50 goals in two years, hopefully then banging in 10 in the Premier League to keep us up :P Not sure about Hoolahan, I reckon if he makes the grade this season he has sealed the deal. I think he was disadvantaged at coming into a shambolic club at a time when we were playing rubbish football, under the huge pressure of the "new heroes" tag. He would have had it a LOT easier if rodent had given Hucks the one last year that he deserved (his last 28 games should have been at Carrow Road, not stateside) and Hoolahan had come in to play alongside him. But for me, I reckon in 12 months time we will be calling Hoolahan a legend too - that video posted today will certainly help the cause!I suppose that we have to put Adam Drury in that? He will be a bit part player this season if Tierney stays fit, but what a way to send him off in his testimonial year.... and would he ever have imagined playing Premier League football again when pledging his loyalites in the dark Gunn days? So in terms of current players it is Holt, Hoolahan, Drury, although only time will tell..... plenty of great players get forgotten. Out of the rest of the current crop, including recent signings, who else do you suspect could well achieve the Legend status?

[quote user="LeJuge"]So, which of our current team have already reached ''legendary'' status alongside the likes of Hucks and Iwan (and perhaps Malky?).  For me, Holt already has both feet over the line. Kids today in twenty years will be telling their own kids about the great centre forward who scored a hat-trick against the scum and over 50 goals in two years, hopefully then banging in 10 in the Premier League to keep us up :P Not sure about Hoolahan, I reckon if he makes the grade this season he has sealed the deal. I think he was disadvantaged at coming into a shambolic club at a time when we were playing rubbish football, under the huge pressure of the "new heroes" tag. He would have had it a LOT easier if rodent had given Hucks the one last year that he deserved (his last 28 games should have been at Carrow Road, not stateside) and Hoolahan had come in to play alongside him. But for me, I reckon in 12 months time we will be calling Hoolahan a legend too - that video posted today will certainly help the cause!I suppose that we have to put Adam Drury in that? He will be a bit part player this season if Tierney stays fit, but what a way to send him off in his testimonial year.... and would he ever have imagined playing Premier League football again when pledging his loyalites in the dark Gunn days? So in terms of current players it is Holt, Hoolahan, Drury, although only time will tell..... plenty of great players get forgotten. Out of the rest of the current crop, including recent signings, who else do you suspect could well achieve the Legend status?

[/quote]I have no idea how that stupid smiley ended up in the thread title.

Drury has to be, he was a very good left back for a few years, always plagued by injury (until i looked recently at his playing figures, i didn''t realise how many games he has missed over the years.) been here for a decade, has always been reliable when fit, even last season. I hope he gets a few games next season, although i fear with Naughton possibly playing at LB as well, he won''t get too many chances.

Holt is pretty much there as well. I think his popularity is at a pretty similar level to Hucks. Even If he fails to score many this season, i can''t imagine his general performance dropping too much and we''ll all enjoy watching that again. And then if we do go down (I don''t think we will) he has another season in the lower league to bang 20 goals in again :)

Hoolahan could get to that status, not quit there yet. Another decent season, and he''ll be a ''legend''.

I think the term legend is quite hard to really define though. Hucks was the most recent ''legend'' but players like Shackell, Green, McVeigh, Gary Holt, Safri, Needergaard to name a few from the past 10 years have also been very popular, and great servants to the club. I think you have to limit who you name as a legend really, otherwise the term becomes meaningless. In a way, the Hall of Fame is really getting a bit too large, considering half the squad now will probably be in it soon as well, if you tried calling everyone in there a legend, i just think it doesn''t have the same effect.

Wilbraham?Jokes aside, it depends how you define legend. For me it would be someone who has recognisably achieved greatness and who has a great love for the club. As you say, Holt has scored 50 odd goals in two seasons, a hatrick against the scum. As the captain of the team that won back to back promotions i believe he will always be remembered. On the other hand, he has only been here two years so is he really a club legend? I would say if he continues to show loyalty and passion for the club, he would go down as one of our greatest ever players and a true Norwich City legend.

It can only be Holty right now for me. He''s such an talisman for the club that you can''t help but associate him at the heart of everything good here at the moment.

However, thats no disrespect to the others, as a team they all go down as legends in my eyes and will be remembered for a long long time.

Individually, they just don''t have that iconic, legendary status that Holt has.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Drury has to be, he was a very good left back for a few years, always plagued by injury (until i looked recently at his playing figures, i didn''t realise how many games he has missed over the years.) been here for a decade, has always been reliable when fit, even last season. I hope he gets a few games next season, although i fear with Naughton possibly playing at LB as well, he won''t get too many chances.

Holt is pretty much there as well. I think his popularity is at a pretty similar level to Hucks. Even If he fails to score many this season, i can''t imagine his general performance dropping too much and we''ll all enjoy watching that again. And then if we do go down (I don''t think we will) he has another season in the lower league to bang 20 goals in again :)

Hoolahan could get to that status, not quit there yet. Another decent season, and he''ll be a ''legend''.

I think the term legend is quite hard to really define though. Hucks was the most recent ''legend'' but players like Shackell, Green, McVeigh, Gary Holt, Safri, Needergaard to name a few from the past 10 years have also been very popular, and great servants to the club. I think you have to limit who you name as a legend really, otherwise the term becomes meaningless. In a way, the Hall of Fame is really getting a bit too large, considering half the squad now will probably be in it soon as well, if you tried calling everyone in there a legend, i just think it doesn''t have the same effect.[/quote]For me a legend is simply somebody who is remembered by almost everybody. I think about Darren Eadie and Darren Huckerby at least several times a week. But how many times do you hear Steen Nedergaard and Grant Holt talked about in a Norwich pub? A true legend is loved and admired and talked about for decades. I remember specific Huckerby runs, specific Eadie goals, in the same way that I can remember entire Holt''s hat trick like it was yesterday. I can honestly say that I can''t remember much about Steeno, one particular cross. I can remember the Safri goal.Safri is a legend of the Premier League on the strength of one goal, in the same way that Goss is a legend for a few goals including Munich and the one in front of the Kop. But I remember Goss as a distinctly average player who didn''t play regularly, was used mostly as a substitute, wasn''t a regular for Wales, and didn''t ever really do much other than score four or five randomly incredible goals over a two season period. So for me, I wouldn''t even give it to Goss.

[quote user="LeJuge"][quote user="Gingerpele"]Drury has to be, he was a very good left back for a few years, always plagued by injury (until i looked recently at his playing figures, i didn''t realise how many games he has missed over the years.) been here for a decade, has always been reliable when fit, even last season. I hope he gets a few games next season, although i fear with Naughton possibly playing at LB as well, he won''t get too many chances.

I think the term legend is quite hard to really define though. Hucks was the most recent ''legend'' but players like Shackell, Green, McVeigh, Gary Holt, Safri, Needergaard to name a few from the past 10 years have also been very popular, and great servants to the club. I think you have to limit who you name as a legend really, otherwise the term becomes meaningless. In a way, the Hall of Fame is really getting a bit too large, considering half the squad now will probably be in it soon as well, if you tried calling everyone in there a legend, i just think it doesn''t have the same effect.[/quote]For me a legend is simply somebody who is remembered by almost everybody. I think about Darren Eadie and Darren Huckerby at least several times a week. But how many times do you hear Steen Nedergaard and Grant Holt talked about in a Norwich pub? A true legend is loved and admired and talked about for decades. I remember specific Huckerby runs, specific Eadie goals, in the same way that I can remember entire Holt''s hat trick like it was yesterday. I can honestly say that I can''t remember much about Steeno, one particular cross. I can remember the Safri goal.Safri is a legend of the Premier League on the strength of one goal, in the same way that Goss is a legend for a few goals including Munich and the one in front of the Kop. But I remember Goss as a distinctly average player who didn''t play regularly, was used mostly as a substitute, wasn''t a regular for Wales, and didn''t ever really do much other than score four or five randomly incredible goals over a two season period. So for me, I wouldn''t even give it to Goss. [/quote]Sorry I mean GARY HOLT there, I salivate over Grant Holt every morning, afternoon and evening. He is my hero.

I''m not sure any of them are legends yet. Holt and Hoolahan may be on their way to achieving legendary status but doesn''t it demean the achievements of the other players who we would define as legendary to include two players who have never played in the top flight for us? What if they both struggle this season? Do we downgrade them from legend to good? I think you can only truly assess the influence of a player over your club once they have left.

[quote user="Shack Attack"]I''m not sure any of them are legends yet. Holt and Hoolahan may be on their way to achieving legendary status but doesn''t it demean the achievements of the other players who we would define as legendary to include two players who have never played in the top flight for us? What if they both struggle this season? Do we downgrade them from legend to good? I think you can only truly assess the influence of a player over your club once they have left.[/quote]

Exactly - the "legend" term is thrown around a little too easily for my liking. You can only become a legend after you have finished playing for the club (in my eyes anyway). Holt is well on his way towards that, but I would imagine if he fails to score this coming season and Norwich are relegated there will be plenty of people here waiting to take cheap shots at him.

Of course longevity and contribution are important is ascribing legend status but not essential.   Nor is ability.

No one who saw Trevor Hockey would ever concede his legend status but he was here for just half a season.   Everyone regards Duncan Forbes as a legend but no one would ever suggest he was in the top 5oo City players on ability.   He made himself a great player on very limited gifts where as far better players lacked his heart and his commitment.   A good current example is Nelson who won affection for his honest endeavours and commitment that the more skilled  and probably equally committed Ward has yet to achieve.

Agree with Bethnal - good players are not automatically legends.

Only Holt in this crop for me, but the players who have the potential to hit the echollons of "Legend" status could include Wessi, Fantastic Mr Fox, Russell Pants, and maybe the 2 new wonder-wingers Pilks and EB.

[quote user="Chelmsford Canary"]is it possible for Holt to make the all time top goal scorers for the club and pass Mr Fleck etc?[/quote]

Isn''t Jonny Garvin our top scorer? Think Holt has 80 odd goals to get before he topples him - considering he is 30 that would be a very tall order.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[quote user="Chelmsford Canary"]is it possible for Holt to make the all time top goal scorers for the club and pass Mr Fleck etc?[/quote]

Isn''t Jonny Garvin our top scorer? Think Holt has 80 odd goals to get before he topples him - considering he is 30 that would be a very tall order.

[/quote]

Of course I mean Johnny Gavin (just looked him up).

[quote user="NWC"]Agree with Bethnal - good players are not automatically legends.

Only Holt in this crop for me, but the players who have the potential to hit the echollons of "Legend" status could include Wessi, Fantastic Mr Fox, Russell Pants, and maybe the 2 new wonder-wingers Pilks and EB.[/quote]

Couldnt have said it better myself.

Re : EB, i still think he will wear an England shirt someday. I really think he will be a surprise package this season. I just hope that he is still wearing a Norwich shirt when he is wearing an England shirt :)

For me, the true legends are those who would be picked ahead of anyone else in that position in the clubs history. Perhaps broken down into particular generations. People like Cantona and Beckham would be United legends for this generation whereas the oldies amongst their fans might have others like Charlton and Best. For me people like Gunn, Fox (Ruel), and Hucks are my generation but I know the impact players like Allcock had in their time here.

I guess that''s why you have a fair few more than just XI because of course it''s subjective but for me, that''s what it would take to be a true legend. You can still have moments of glory etc (Goss against Bayern) but it''s only the true greats who were better than everyone else that should be hailed legends.