Sign in to follow this  
Yorkshire  Canary

Fox the new Charlie Adam

Ok it was only a friendly but he wasfantastic against Real zaragossa last night. He will get more time on the ball in the premiership and he could well blossom to a level few would have expected when we got him for a snip from Colchester

I do like his toe poke esque passes the best one being portsmouth away for the 40 million pound goal. Its a great weapon to have he hardly has any back lift and will hopefully catch a few teams off guard for our strikers to lash onto

Fox is a brilliant passer of the ball and would do well in the Premier League, he reminds me of Ian Crook but in games against dirty teams such Stoke I''d rather have Crofts and Johnson as he is a bit lightweight.

I think he will be a massive player, I think him and Russell Martin are the best examples of how good Lambert and co. are at getting the best out of players, and developing there weaknesses brilliantly.

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]He will get more time on the ball in the premiership  [/quote]

Not sure about that. We''re likely to be closed down quicker by Premier League sides than we have been by Champs sides. Even the best sides Utd, Arsenal and Citeh close the ball down very quickly.

The style and quality of the matches might be of a different type but you''re only likely to get time on the ball if you''re a long way from their goal and they don''t think you offer much of a threat.

I think he will have less time on the ball in Premier League as more teams play with a 5 man midfield - he was also be indentified as our fulcrum and get closed down quicker.

Against Stoke he is exactly the kind of player we need - we can never beat Stoke trying to go toe-to-toe with them in terms of physicality but can beat them by moving the ball around quickly on the ground.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

I think he will have less time on the ball in Premier League as more teams play with a 5 man midfield - he was also be indentified as our fulcrum and get closed down quicker.

Against Stoke he is exactly the kind of player we need - we can never beat Stoke trying to go toe-to-toe with them in terms of physicality but can beat them by moving the ball around quickly on the ground.

[/quote]

It''s difficult with the time on ball, I think Premier league what players do off the ball is more important and exploiting the space more, I am fairly confident Fox will pick out a couple of good balls if players are making good runs now we have pace on the wings which means in a way the not so much time on the ball doesn''t make too much difference.

I think Johnson next to him will be a brilliant centre midfield partnership personally, and means are midfield does pretty much have everything.

''Against Stoke he is exactly the kind of player we need - we can never beat Stoke trying to go toe-to-toe with them in terms of physicality but can beat them by moving the ball around quickly on the ground.''

Thats exactly right!

I''ve seen a few comments saying play the tougher team, Holt/Morrison up front, Croft & Johnson etc. But were not going to be able to beat Stoke like that, they are probably the best team around at what the do, and us trying to go tough against them really won''t do much, it will just make our team weaker in the sense that our game plan would be different from its best.

He was really class last season, if he keeps playing as he is there will be alot of interest in him.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]''Against Stoke he is exactly the kind of player we need - we can never beat Stoke trying to go toe-to-toe with them in terms of physicality but can beat them by moving the ball around quickly on the ground.''

Thats exactly right!

I''ve seen a few comments saying play the tougher team, Holt/Morrison up front, Croft & Johnson etc. But were not going to be able to beat Stoke like that, they are probably the best team around at what the do, and us trying to go tough against them really won''t do much, it will just make our team weaker in the sense that our game plan would be different from its best.[/quote]Spot on Ginge [Y]

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]Ok it was only a friendly but he wasfantastic against Real zaragossa last night. He will get more time on the ball in the premiership and he could well blossom to a level few would have expected when we got him for a snip from Colchester[/quote]He will be an unsung hero again. Maybe MOTD will pick up on his passing range, but he doesn''t score goals like Charlie Adam. Adam got attention because of some world class strikes, Fox isn''t going to command the same level of respect. So he will play and important role, and may surprise a few clubs with his passing skills, but he isn''t going to earn himself an £8m transfer to Liverpool. Charlie Adam is the complete attacking midfielder, Fox isn''t because he isn''t a prolific goalscorer. That''s a big big difference though.

HE ISN''T AN UNSUNG HERO.

To be an unsung hero, people would have to ignore all the hard work he does, and his amazing passing ability. Do you know anyone who has ignored this? And if they have, put them straight. But pretty much every opinion i have read/heard about Fox is all good.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]HE ISN''T AN UNSUNG HERO.

To be an unsung hero, people would have to ignore all the hard work he does, and his amazing passing ability. Do you know anyone who has ignored this? And if they have, put them straight. But pretty much every opinion i have read/heard about Fox is all good.[/quote]You seem to have left your caps lock key on for a moment there, do you need any assistance locating that on your keyboard or do you have that covered now?

I don''t think unsung is the correct word probably more under-rated, but I do sort of agree with his point. When you think of Norwich''s best players you think Holt, Hoolahan or Martin. I personally think Fox is well up there, but he just doesn''t seem to be the one that jumps at you. I personally think he is going to be top in the Prem.

Of all the players PL has brought in, Fox has turned out, for me, to be one of the delights of his tenure so far.

It could be considered heresy for any Norwich player to be compared to Ian Crook, but he is the closest we have had to a Chippy since he graced the club. Both had/have the ability to find time on the ball and, in a split second, deliver a pass of such clipped accuracy, it verges on a thing of beauty-the delivery and execution of Fox''s ball to Jacko at Pompey, for me, was one of THE highspots of last season.

When we signed him, I thought it was a gamble, maybe he''d be a squad player-and, to be fair, he was periphral for a time, but he just needed that time to adopt to the way we play and how Lambert saw him fitting in-and it didn''t take him long. He''ll play his part next season, as has already been said, its no good going toe to toe against Stoke, or trying to match and beat any of the other teams at "their" game, we need to focus on ours rather than worry about what they might do. If we can do that well and consistantly, then we''ve a good chance of hanging on in there for another year and if we are going to do that, then the guile of a Fox is as crucial as the energy of a Crofts.

I think he''ll shine. He learnt his trade at Man Utd youth level didn''t he? Good habits from an early age, same as Chippy. It shows.

Its funny, I think Fox is the example of how Lambert and the team are able to get the best out of any player and the training and time with the coaching team is obviously working. I honestly thought Fox was terrible in the first game of the season against Watford and thought he was the weak link, but slowly over the course of the season he has got better and better to the point where the David Fox at Portsmouth was unrecognisable to the one on the Watford team sheet. His quick and acurate passing is particularly usefull with Jacksons pace and others pace.

My love for David Fox is borderline man love obsessive. I have a friend who thinks I''m just biased and doesn''t think he''s as focal to our attacking game as he is. Always a pleasure to see threads like this that confirm I''m not the only one who thinks he''s one of the most important parts of the team.

Hope he shines next season!

considering he hasn''t kicked a premier league ball i''d say no, and only time will tell

i hope he and the other lads do well.  he will have strong competition in the middle with Johnson and Crofts (now we have right sided midfielders)

[quote user="San Miguel"]

considering he hasn''t kicked a premier league ball i''d say no, and only time will tell

i hope he and the other lads do well.  he will have strong competition in the middle with Johnson and Crofts (now we have right sided midfielders)

[/quote]

I think those two are more likely to be battling with each other for a place as neither of them bring to the team what Fox does.

as i said, only time will tell.  it''ll depend on the formation as to what kind of midfield we play - in some games we may need two central midfielders, in some the likes of Hoolahan and our new wingers may mean there is only space for one person.  Fox has the edge on passing but if they are going for strength against teams like Stoke or Bolton then Johnson and Crofts might have an advantage.

as long as we are picking up the points, i really don''t mind who plays!

plus when it comes to Foxes i prefer Megan to David  :)

Unbelievably there are still some people who would prefer to see Andrew Crofts at the base of the diamond to ''add bite to our midfield'' or some such guff. These people are flicking idiots. One of the first names on the teamsheet for me.

[quote user="Shack Attack"]Unbelievably there are still some people who would prefer to see Andrew Crofts at the base of the diamond to ''add bite to our midfield'' or some such guff. These people are flicking idiots. One of the first names on the teamsheet for me.[/quote]

I think you may have missed what a few people have already said, two different sort of players. If we want to be more attacking then yeah Fox at the base of the diamond is perfect but if we go to attacking we are just going to be outclassed and beat in alot of games where we would have had a chance if we were more solid. Crofts or Johnson are going to run all day long dishing out strong challenged infront of the defence. Unless we have Crofts and Johnson on the corners of the diamond and them playing more defensive with Fox at the bottom of the diamond more attacking then we are going to be to offensive imo.

Oh and I love how on this Forum, people, instead of just adding to the debate, choose to have a little dig at someone because they used CAPITALS.

Fox is probably the best passer of a ball we have had since the glory days of Chippy Crook. Like Crooky though he is not gonna win to many 50/50 balls when it gets physical though.

[quote user="G"]

[quote user="Shack Attack"]Unbelievably there are still some people who would prefer to see Andrew Crofts at the base of the diamond to ''add bite to our midfield'' or some such guff. These people are flicking idiots. One of the first names on the teamsheet for me.[/quote]

I think you may have missed what a few people have already said, two different sort of players. If we want to be more attacking then yeah Fox at the base of the diamond is perfect but if we go to attacking we are just going to be outclassed and beat in alot of games where we would have had a chance if we were more solid. Crofts or Johnson are going to run all day long dishing out strong challenged infront of the defence. Unless we have Crofts and Johnson on the corners of the diamond and them playing more defensive with Fox at the bottom of the diamond more attacking then we are going to be to offensive imo.

[/quote]

I disagree. The diamond formation does not become more or less attacking depending on who sits at the base and there is more to providing a defensive screen than ''dishing out strong challenges''. For my money Fox is more tactically and positionally disciplined than Crofts (I''ve yet to see Johnson play so can''t really comment on his abilities) which makes him better suited to the holding midfield role. Crofts'' hard running and eye for a goal make him much more suited to the right hand side of the diamond and if you wanted to play a more defensive style you could also play Johnson on the left. If you want to be more attacking you can play one, or both, of Bennett or Pilkington.

I will be amazed if anyone other than David Fox (barring injuries and suspensions) plays in that role when we play the diamonn midfield.

[quote user="YellowLittle1"]I don''t think unsung is the correct word probably more under-rated, but I do sort of agree with his point. When you think of Norwich''s best players you think Holt, Hoolahan or Martin. I personally think Fox is well up there, but he just doesn''t seem to be the one that jumps at you. I personally think he is going to be top in the Prem.[/quote]Totally agree.  One of the few ''sensibles'' to phone Canary Call said very similar regarding Holt & Hot Lips taking the plaudits while Fox grafts away in midfield doing what he does.Far from me to tell people how to watch a game of football, but if you watch just one player Fox in this case (forget the ball if you dare) during a passage of play. You''ll see positions he takes up, passers etc and not just that final pass or cross to set a goal up.