Sign in to follow this  
I am a Banana

Norwich vs Parma

Interesting team though. Looks like few of the new recruits have impressed enough to oust last seasons team. If Crofts was fit he would play instead of Bennett if the diamond was the right formation meaning De Leat would be the only new arrival to play. Typical of Lambert though - you got us here - now show us you can keep us here.

[quote user="Irn Bru Canary"]Interesting team though. Looks like few of the new recruits have impressed enough to oust last seasons team. If Crofts was fit he would play instead of Bennett if the diamond was the right formation meaning De Leat would be the only new arrival to play. Typical of Lambert though - you got us here - now show us you can keep us here.[/quote]

Thanks Mr. Lambert, don''t give too much away before the season starts though.

Well thats it boys and girls the last one!

Good result, confidence building clean sheet and Pilkington getting 40 minutes under his belt! Next Stop Wigan.... WE''RE COMING FOR YOU! [:@]

I would usually see Crofts ahead of Surman and Bennett but both played well today and fitted into the shape in midfield really well.

[quote user="Largey"]I would usually see Crofts ahead of Surman and Bennett but both played well today and fitted into the shape in midfield really well.[/quote]

Do you think PL will have a headache picking his starting 11 then?

Yes, because no one has let themselves down. I''d say the only definites in my opinion, are Ruddy, Tierney, De Laet, Fox, Hoolahan and Holt. You fit the rest?!

[quote user="Largey"]Yes, because no one has let themselves down. I''d say the only definites in my opinion, are Ruddy, Tierney, De Laet, Fox, Hoolahan and Holt. You fit the rest?![/quote]

Having not seen any preseason matches is Tierney a definite to start, or has Naughton impressed enough already?  The youngster seems to have done well so far and didn''t Tierney pick up a knock last week? Look OK today?

Yes Tierney looks great today, worked tirelessly, must be as fit as Russell Martin now. Great challenges and speed. I would very very surprised if he doesn''t start at LB against Wigan.

We played some very good stuff today, 3 goals and a clean sheet; happy days! Despite Naughton playing well, I don''t expect him to start ahead of Tierney or R.Martin just yet if both are fit. Regardless of whether Crofts is fit or not however, I think Bennett will play on the right side of midfield as Crofts, even if not injured, will be lacking in some match fitness, and I also think Bennett has done enough to keep his place.

"I''d say the only definites in my opinion, are Ruddy, Tierney, De Laet, Fox, Hoolahan and Holt."

I agree, Largey. Fox & De Laet were both excellent against Zaragoza, and Tierney, Hoolahan, Ruddy and Holt all played well today.

The official man of the match today was Naughton, and I can''t say I disagree. Pacy, good header, skilful, good passing. The only thing is I can''t see him ousting either Tierney or R. Martin for Wigan.

Bennett looks useful and can cross well. Early days I know, but he has not really convinced me yet. Pilkington, though, in both brief appearances looks like he could become an extremely good player, and he certainly has more of a Premiership build than Bennett.

Talking of build, Bradley Johnson is built like a tank, but as on Wednesday did not really seem to gel with the rest of the team.

I like the look of Morison a lot. As on Wednesday, he made some good runs and has a good turn of speed.

As for Wigan, I''m hoping that Crofts is fit, but if not I half wonder whether, with Kyle Naughton clearly being an such a good footballer, he would be wasted on the bench and might play right midfield, where I believe he has played before. He would certainly add some defensiveness, especially if the more attacking-minded Surman plays on the left.

Easy to read too much into preseasion friendlies, but lots of encouraging things from both Wednesday and Saturday.

Since the game finished I am left wondering ''surely it can''t be this easy?''. I mean, Parma looked distinctly average really didn''t they?

Tactically they certainly didn''t contain us - surprising for a Serie A side not to be more astute. Much more of that nonsense and they''ll be wanting our Manager! (Paulo Lamberti does have a certain ring to it)...

Looking ahead to next week I''d imagine Wigan will have a bit more about them; they will hardly want a repeat of their first match last season where they lost 0-4 to a rampant Blackpool side will they?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/8904972.stm

OTBC