Sign in to follow this  
Sjb

Official Message board?

Has the official message board been taken off canaries.co.uk? I cant seem to find it?

I remember using it quite reguarlly at one point with, hundreds of posts a day, and then they changed it, and people just lost interest in it.

[quote user="smiley"]Has the official message board been taken off canaries.co.uk? I cant seem to find it?
[/quote]

---

It departed cyberspace in April, I think. It had markedly declined and that was almost certainly one factor in the closure.

This is a copy of the email Joe Ferrari sent me, when I queried why it was taken away very quickly one evening and disappeared for ever.

I didn''t agree with what he said, and as you were a regular on there Smiley, you probably know that Joe was constantly plugging the Twitter thing leading up to that day, so , it always seemed to me, that all it needed, was the slightest excuse to press the button, and, hey ho, Facebook was launched!

To me it seemed a lot of the problems laid with the operating system, and using the excuse of the fans being rude/cliquey etc was ''convenient'' . Other sites I have been on (e.g Colchester/Cardiff/QPR to mention 3) were a LOT worse than ours for the reasons put forward :(

In response to your e-mail, the message board was taken down for a number of reasons.

First and foremost, it was not secure enough. Despite repeated warnings over a period of several years, a number of posters persisted in posting material which was unacceptable for the official website of a family football club.

The format of the bulletin board allowed us to ban individuals but couldn''t stop them from simply logging on again. We have recently had a case where the police have received a complaint about libellous and abusive postings on there. This is unacceptable.

Secondly, the number of people using the board had twindled to a level where an average of about 20-40 people visited it each day. It had become something of an exclusive online social club, dominated by a few regulars, some of whom made new posters feel very unwelcome - almost as if they were ''intruding''.

Norwich City Football Club believes in communication with as many supporters as possible, not in fostering small exclusive groups. Therefore we have been pleased to launch our Twitter service @norwichcityfc which has grown from 0 to 6,650 followers in five months and is now the 2nd biggest in the npower Championship.

Last night we launched our new official Facebook service which has been liked by 1,080 followers in 14 and a half hours and on matchdays we have launched our new interactive On The Ball service with Cover It Live which for the recent game against Scunthorpe attracted 4,215 users during the game, the highest figure achieved by any club in the Football League.

It''s a shame the old board had to close as there have been some good debates on there over the years. I did try to give them a period of notice by posting on there yesterday to say it would be closing and explaining why - but as this resulted in a regular user swearing on there, we took the decision to close it and move on.

I hope this gives you some background to the changes we have made.

Many thanks for your e-mail and your support for the Club.

Joe Ferrari

Head of Media

"Secondly, the number of people using the board had twindled to a level where an average of about 20-40 people visited it each day. It had become something of an exclusive online social club, dominated by a few regulars, some of whom made new posters feel very unwelcome - almost as if they were ''intruding''."

Phewwww thank goodness that could never happen on here!

[quote user="crabbycanary"]This is a copy of the email Joe Ferrari sent me, when I queried why it was taken away very quickly one evening and disappeared for ever. I didn''t agree with what he said, and as you were a regular on there Smiley, you probably know that Joe was constantly plugging the Twitter thing leading up to that day, so , it always seemed to me, that all it needed, was the slightest excuse to press the button, and, hey ho, Facebook was launched! To me it seemed a lot of the problems laid with the operating system, and using the excuse of the fans being rude/cliquey etc was ''convenient'' . Other sites I have been on (e.g Colchester/Cardiff/QPR to mention 3) were a LOT worse than ours for the reasons put forward :( In response to your e-mail, the message board was taken down for a number of reasons. First and foremost, it was not secure enough. Despite repeated warnings over a period of several years, a number of posters persisted in posting material which was unacceptable for the official website of a family football club. The format of the bulletin board allowed us to ban individuals but couldn''t stop them from simply logging on again. We have recently had a case where the police have received a complaint about libellous and abusive postings on there. This is unacceptable. Secondly, the number of people using the board had twindled to a level where an average of about 20-40 people visited it each day. It had become something of an exclusive online social club, dominated by a few regulars, some of whom made new posters feel very unwelcome - almost as if they were ''intruding''. Norwich City Football Club believes in communication with as many supporters as possible, not in fostering small exclusive groups. Therefore we have been pleased to launch our Twitter service @norwichcityfc which has grown from 0 to 6,650 followers in five months and is now the 2nd biggest in the npower Championship. Last night we launched our new official Facebook service which has been liked by 1,080 followers in 14 and a half hours and on matchdays we have launched our new interactive On The Ball service with Cover It Live which for the recent game against Scunthorpe attracted 4,215 users during the game, the highest figure achieved by any club in the Football League. It''s a shame the old board had to close as there have been some good debates on there over the years. I did try to give them a period of notice by posting on there yesterday to say it would be closing and explaining why - but as this resulted in a regular user swearing on there, we took the decision to close it and move on. I hope this gives you some background to the changes we have made. Many thanks for your e-mail and your support for the Club. Joe Ferrari Head of Media[/quote]

---

crabby, as someone who started off using the official messageboard, I agree that the club was looking for an excuse to shut it down. The new regime has a markedly thinner skin than the old regime when it comes to criticism.

An irony, really, since the old regime, rightly or wrongly, came in for much more abuse and generally put up with it uncomplainingly. I haven''t looked at these message-boards on the official Colchester, QPR and Cardiff sites that you mention as being "a lot worse" but I''d be surprised if that was really the case, certainly not in terms of the personal vilification of club directors that used to be posted on the Norwich board.

Anyway, getting back to the closure of the board, I''m sure you are right that part of the rationale was a desire to push twitter and Facebook and all these social media things I don''t use.

But at the same time what Joe Ferrari says there about the board''s decline is spot on. When he posted that it might be closing and asked for reasons why it shouldn''t two things were noticeable. One was that the thread itself turned into a slanging match that exemplified just why the board wasn''t worth saving! Secondly, of the 18 people - only 18 - who posted on this thread, half a dozen only posted to say why they''d left the board. In other words there were only a dozen posters remaining who actually cared at all.

[quote user="Rivvo"]

"Secondly, the number of people using the board had twindled to a level where an average of about 20-40 people visited it each day. It had become something of an exclusive online social club, dominated by a few regulars, some of whom made new posters feel very unwelcome - almost as if they were ''intruding''."

Phewwww thank goodness that could never happen on here!

[/quote]

You mean like this...

"I notice this thread has been hijacked by a lot of newbies...scum?"

And this was just one example from the last 24 hours.

(http://services.pinkun.com/FORUMS/PINKUN/CS/forums/2/2592130/ShowPost.aspx#2592130)