Sign in to follow this  
Cappsy

Wigan strikeforce/point about today

1st Point:

Some people had written Chris Martin off but by the looks of things today he could be back with a bang. Looked incredibly sharp today and his link up play looked as if he''d never been away, completely on the same wavelength. Holt/Martin could be a possible option next week.

2nd Point:

Done a bit of research on Parma this evening and thy have a world cup winner with Italy from 2006 who played today, and the number 10 Sebastian Giovinco was an ex Juventus player and has been capped by Italy a few times, Biabiany came on as a sub and is as fast at Walcott (according to FIFA stats) and he wasa at Inter Milan last season and featured a fair bit. And finally Fabio Borini, i think he went unoticed today. Maybe he was being played out of position on the wing? Naughton had him in his pocket. My point is although this is only a friendly Parma are a midtable Serie A team and are probably the equivalent to a Sunderland or Everton and we comfortably beat them today without coming out of 3rd gear IMO. they didn''t get a sniff at goal either which is reassuring. Can''t wait for wigan!!

OTBC!

Chris Martin won''t be playing upfront.

He is (i thought clearly) being primed to play in the Hoolahan role, like he did today.

And your points about Parma, well some of them are valid, but aren''t they behind in fitness? Which was our main excuse for not winning against Palace etc.

(Oh and that world cup winner, played 3 games out of 7 isn''t it, scoring an own goal, and i believe has not been capped in competitive internationals since...

I''m afraid you and many others read far too much into per season games and results. 2 years ago before our league 1 campaign we beat premiership opposition in the form of Wigan, we played some brilliant stuff and didn''t at all look out of depth or place against a side 2 leagues above us, even simon Whaley looked good!! Yet 1 week later we suffered our biggest ever home defeat and arguably our most embarrassing, point is pre season games are used for fitness and a chance for players to gel, the result is completely irrelevant

yeah ok good point about Martin, yeah i know he''ll be used as cover/back up for wes at the tip of the diamond my bad, still think he could do a job there in championship (but obviously wouldnt risk taking that position up in prem) and yeah i hadn''t heard much about them so im just going by what ive read

i know that, i was talking about the general performance, not the result. im saying we looked comfortable today. i dont care what the result was today or wednesday im just saying the performance looked good which obviously is going to make me happy. we all know about the wigan friendly prior to col who and hull beat liverpool 3-0.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Chris Martin won''t be playing upfront.

He is (i thought clearly) being primed to play in the Hoolahan role
, like he did today.

And your points about Parma, well some of them are valid, but aren''t they behind in fitness? Which was our main excuse for not winning against Palace etc.

(Oh and that world cup winner, played 3 games out of 7 isn''t it, scoring an own goal, and i believe has not been capped in competitive internationals since...[/quote]LOL, we have both been banging on about this for about half a season GP.Again, we both thought it obvious then so pretty sure its going to happen at some point. I think Wes might well be discovered for the one trick pony he is, especailly against Prem defences, so perhapsMartin will be a more viable / unknown option. Still think Martin has the best link up play at the club !Everyone knows the likes of Wigan , Stoke ( or teams we can sneak 3 - 6 points from ) will know exactly who Wes is and what his strengths. weakness are !

I agree Martin did look good when he came on and clearly will be a squad player this season. It will be very difficult though for hime to fight his way into the side either up front or midfield. Much will depend on what opportunities he is given and what he does when he gets them. I thought Jackson and Holt looked very good and will be the starting pair for me up front and behind them Morison and vaughan when fit with Martin behind those.

We have many attacking options in midfield. I think Crofts and Johnson will fight it out for the midfield battler. surman is starting to look the part and will probably be one of the first names on the team sheet as will be Hoolahan still one of the most talented players at the club for me. Fox when fit is the only player of his type and Pilkington looks aheadof Bennett for me when fit based soley i accept on the two most recent friendlies. So then Where will Martin feature here in midfield not very sure IMO. It will take a few injuries or poor performances from the other players to get him up the pecking or and sadley the same probably goes for Smith

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"][quote user="Gingerpele"]Chris Martin won''t be playing upfront.

, like he did today.

(Oh and that world cup winner, played 3 games out of 7 isn''t it, scoring an own goal, and i believe has not been capped in competitive internationals since...[/quote]LOL, we have both been banging on about this for about half a season GP.Again, we both thought it obvious then so pretty sure its going to happen at some point. I think Wes might well be discovered for the one trick pony he is, especailly against Prem defences, so perhapsMartin will be a more viable / unknown option. Still think Martin has the best link up play at the club !Everyone knows the likes of Wigan , Stoke ( or teams we can sneak 3 - 6 points from ) will know exactly who Wes is and what his strengths. weakness are ![/quote]Which is his one trick?His ability to get away from almost any player with the ball at his feet to make a pass?His ability to play very swift one twos around players and get in great positions for the return?His new improved tackling? I still can''t believe how much of a problem he was last season and how many times he won the ball back.His first touch and ability to somehow bring the ball down comfortably from any height?Or is his one trick that sublime first touch no look pass having let the ball drop from about 15 feet yesterday?Or is it another one trick that would just further back up the point that he is not a one trick pony?Fair enough if you don''t think he''ll be good enough for the prem but I think it''s short sighted to call him a one trick pony when there are so many good elements to his game that improve our all round game.

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"][quote user="Gingerpele"]Chris Martin won''t be playing upfront.

, like he did today.

(Oh and that world cup winner, played 3 games out of 7 isn''t it, scoring an own goal, and i believe has not been capped in competitive internationals since...[/quote]LOL, we have both been banging on about this for about half a season GP.Again, we both thought it obvious then so pretty sure its going to happen at some point. I think Wes might well be discovered for the one trick pony he is, especailly against Prem defences, so perhapsMartin will be a more viable / unknown option. Still think Martin has the best link up play at the club !Everyone knows the likes of Wigan , Stoke ( or teams we can sneak 3 - 6 points from ) will know exactly who Wes is and what his strengths. weakness are ![/quote]Yes.  It must be awful to be such a limited player that your "one trick" is to be able to see and play a pass that unlocks a defence and presents a golden chance to your strikers.Honestly, you people.

Parma was nothing than low Italian team this days who was on bottom 4 4 rounds before end.

Also they loose some key players this summer so team will struggle again for sure.

Also other point can be they hard training at the moment theyre league have 20 days to restart.

And last but not least dont forget they have to play today who is exactly 24h after Norwich game with WBA so sure mix the team.

All in all positive for us 3-0 big boost etc but dont read too much from this against not ready team who is Parma his days.

, like he did today.

(Oh and that world cup winner, played 3 games out of 7 isn''t it, scoring an own goal, and i believe has not been capped in competitive internationals since...[/quote]LOL, we have both been banging on about this for about half a season GP.Again, we both thought it obvious then so pretty sure its going to happen at some point. I think Wes might well be discovered for the one trick pony he is, especailly against Prem defences, so perhapsMartin will be a more viable / unknown option. Still think Martin has the best link up play at the club !Everyone knows the likes of Wigan , Stoke ( or teams we can sneak 3 - 6 points from ) will know exactly who Wes is and what his strengths. weakness are ![/quote]

What????? Wes is a One trick pony?

Presumably you think De Laet is going to get caught out with his carthorse pace?

And Holt will be too short to win any headers?

And Fox''s inability to hit a pass more than 5 yards will be an issue?

Wes defiantly isn''t a one trick pony.

He''s probably our best player, and because of that will probably suffer extra attention from opposition defenders.

But i think he has the ability to deal with that, he''s been getting better and better at getting rid of the ball to other Norwich players, a couple of years ago, he would just run around in circles and maybe get a decent pass off, but would far to frequently give the ball away. I think he gave the ball away once yesterday, the rest of the time he got past players and made a few decent passes. He has that ability, he moves around, he can beat his marker quite easily and has an eye for a killer pass or shot.

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]I think Wes might well be discovered for the one trick pony he is, especailly against Prem defences, so perhapsMartin will be a more viable / unknown option. Still think Martin has the best link up play at the club !Everyone knows the likes of Wigan , Stoke ( or teams we can sneak 3 - 6 points from ) will know exactly who Wes is and what his strengths. weakness are ![/quote]It took me a good 10 seconds or so to realise you weren''t actually joking.