Sign in to follow this  
ca

Your team/formation for Wigan

So some of us have seen the friendlies, had a chance to look at the new players and yet I''m no closer to be able to guess at the team or what formation he will play for our first away game.

I''m confident the back line will look like this if R Martin is still injured, but other than that aren''t sure what the starting lineup will be and whether we''ll play the diamond, one up front or 4 4 2?

The back line will surely be

Ruddy

Naughton - Skinny Latte - Barnett - Tierney

Who do you think will start and what formation will it be?

Ruddy

R.Martin      Barnett     De Laet     Tierney

Fox

Bennett                      Surman

Hoolahan

Holt         Jackson

AS far as i can tell, the diamond has been the main formation in the friendlies, and our main formation for the past two years, so why does a large proportion of people expect us to change formation immediately in the prem?

Diamond is our formation, with 4-2-3-1 as a back up formation, slightly more defensive.

I think the same team as yesterday will line up next weekend, the midfield worked well, as did the defence. R.Martin could start if he''s 100%

ruddy

naughton  whitbread  de laet  tierny

fox

bennett                              surman

wessi

holt     morisson

RuddyMartin   Barnett    De Laet    Tierny                     Fox    Crofts                Surman                     Wes         Holt          Jackson

Ruddy

R.Martin        Barnett         De Laet      Tierney

Fox

Bennett                     Surman

Hoolahan

Holt                  Jackson

Ruddy

R.Martin Barnett De Laet Tierney

Fox

Bennett Johnson

Hoolahan

Holt Jackson

Think this would enable us to switch from the diamond to 4-4-2 if necessary, Johnson will also add a little to the competitive edge with Crofts missing. Difficult to say until you''ve seen these players half a dozen times though.

Can''t see Naughton being dropped, he''s looked really good in the two games this week and started both.

Plus no-one thinks Morrison will start ahead of Jackson ??

[quote user="cityangel"]

Can''t see Naughton being dropped, he''s looked really good in the two games this week and started both.

Plus no-one thinks Morrison will start ahead of Jackson ??

[/quote]

Naughton has looked good in two games this week, but both R.Martin and Tierney were outstanding for us last season, and in my opinion, haven''t looked worse than Naughton in pre-season either. I think Morison starting is a strong possibility, but I just think Jackson will get the nod to partner Holt.

Surprised so many are going with Bennett, Surman, Fox and Hoolahan in the middle. Have a feeling we''ll get overrun without one of Johnson or Crofts in there.

Im going with:                        RuddyR. Martin    Barnett  De Laet    Naughton                          Fox          Bennet                   Surman                        Hoolahan          Holt                      Jackson

Im also expecting Morrison, Pilkington and Johnson to make an apperance on the pitch as subs... maybe Chris Martin instead of Johnson

[quote user="bjg123"]Surprised so many are going with Bennett, Surman, Fox and Hoolahan in the middle. Have a feeling we''ll get overrun without one of Johnson or Crofts in there.[/quote]

There was a similar thread the other week and I said that either one of Crofts or Johnson would be in the starting line up. However, Crofts was not involved in the open training session and has missed the last two, most important friendlies and so even if he is not injured next Saturday, he will be behind in match fitness. Johnson has impressed me the least in the last two friendlies out of our midfielders and I would therfore pick the midfield which started against Parma who played well with each other. I think Lambert may well of been thinking to play Johnson on the left ahead of Surman, but after a great performance and two goals, he may be re-thinking. I''m also not convinced who will partner De Laet in defence or Holt upfront but I think that Barnett and Jackson will get the nod. I expect R.Martin and Tierney to start ahead of Naughton if fit. A headache over selection is always a good thing.

You answered your own question!  Its because we are in the prem....Diamond is not OUR formation, it is a formation that has suited the players we had and leagues we were in.Anyone who watched the friendlies and has a brain enough to know a bit about the game they pay a lot of money to allegedly watch every week,  can see that the players we brought in are not players who can play a diamond, and it would be SUICIDE to play a diamond in the prem, especially away from home.  The diamond works if the full backs can get forward, which in the prem they won''t be able to consistently.  We would be too narrow in midfield and our full backs would be ruthlessly exposed.  So you need width further up the pitch.You also need to protect the back four better.  Fox can''t do that, but we need him to take and pass from a tackler beside him, ie Crofts or Johnson.  So that gives you 4-2-3-1 rather than a 4-1-2-1-2 (diamond).We brought in Pilkington and Bennet, players who cannot play in a diamoon as they showed in the friendlies - they leave us with nothing in the centre of the pitch. Add to that Surman, Martin and Hoolahan, all players who excel as attacking midfielders, and you can see why they are there - to play a 3 man attacking midfield line.  The reason we have brought in Morison is cover for Holt in holding the line up front, with Vaugan/Jackson for those occassions when we need a goal and throw two on up front.We will not play a diamond much this season.  We will play 4-3-2-1. It was obvious watching the Zaragossa and Parma games that we had round pegs in square holes, right up until the obvious change to 4-2-3-1 after 50 mins against Parma.  Lambert wants to keep that formation under wraps as much as possible, hence why it was only used for the last bit of pre-season.  He said he would not be giving much away as he knew Wigan were watching, hence why the obvious formation for the division and our players was only used briefly, right at the end of pre-season.As soon as we switched, we domainated, the attacking midfielders destroyed Parma''s backline, and Fox was able to concentrate on distribution while Johnson broke things up and gave him the ball.  On the defensive, two Surman and Pilks dropped back to give us 5 packed into midfield. Its the obvious formation both to protect the defence, pack the midfield and make use of Fox who''s passing will be absolutely key next season. However, a lot of people won''t spot the the subtly. Even the Pinkun called it a 4-5-1, describing Fox and Johnson behind the three attacking midfielders, which, duh, is 4-3-2-1 a completely different team layout to 4-5-1 !So based on common sense and the players we have, the strengths we have and the protection we need to give the back four, it will be 4-3-2-1 and  the starting 11 will be:RuddyNaughtonDe LaatBarnettTierneyFoxJohnsonBennett (although I hope Pilkinton makes it as he is a far superior player)HoolahanSurmanHolt

[quote user="Gingerpele"]AS far as i can tell, the diamond has been the main formation in the friendlies, and our main formation for the past two years, so why does a large proportion of people expect us to change formation immediately in the prem?

Diamond is our formation, with 4-2-3-1 as a back up formation, slightly more defensive.

I think the same team as yesterday will line up next weekend, the midfield worked well, as did the defence. R.Martin could start if he''s 100%[/quote]

:For me:                             Ruddy   Martin       De Laet       Barnett      Naughton                    Fox             Johnson    Bennett                                      Surman                          Hoolahan                             HoltSubs:Chris MartinWilbrahamPilkingtonJacksonTierneyRuddSmithThat is assuming Crofts is not fit in time.

[quote user="Kolin Kob"]:For me:                             Ruddy   Martin       De Laet       Barnett      Naughton                    Fox             Johnson    Bennett                                      Surman                          Hoolahan                             HoltSubs:Chris MartinWilbrahamPilkingtonJacksonTierneyRuddSmithThat is assuming Crofts is not fit in time.[/quote]I meant Morison, not Wilbraham

Ruddy

Martin Barnett De Laet Naughton

Fox

Bennett Crofts

Wes

Holt Morrison

[quote user="Kolin Kob"]:For me:                             Ruddy   Martin       De Laet       Barnett      Naughton                    Fox             Johnson    Bennett                                      Surman                          Hoolahan                             HoltSubs:Chris MartinWilbrahamPilkingtonJacksonTierneyRuddSmithThat is assuming Crofts is not fit in time.[/quote]This is my team apart from Wilbraham is off the bench and Morison comes in.

Ruddy

N Cafu    Afternoon De Laet      Buttermebread     Tierney

Fox

Bennett                                                               Surmanator

Hoolahoop

Jackson            Holt

This is assuming Martin is fit, although Naughton is going to be pushing him for his place all season, I feel...

After going to the Parma game I am feeling a lot more confident about the defence. They had a couple of tricky attacking players in Giovinco and Pelle. Giovinco looked like there own Wes and he is a Italy international. Could see Spurs getting him if they lose modric.

Though the defence dealt with things well, thought full backs reading of the game they could of taught a thing or two to the Italians in that game. Tierney and Naughton were brilliant and Drury wasn''t bad when he came on although he took a couple of clatterings.

I know slightly off topic but I think thats the game that will probably stick in Lambert''s head as probably the best opposition we played in pre season.

I can see Bennett and Pilkington playing in the same team evenutally just on diferent wings. That fact Pilkington is both footed sort of enable him to do so. But I thought they both looked bright. Thought Johnson looked poor and probably should have been sent off with a De Jong style challenge.

So based on seeing that one pre season I would say:

Ruddy

RB: Naughton

CB:De Laet

CB:Whitbread/Barnett

LB: Tierney

CDM:Fox

RM:Bennett

LM:Surman

CAM:Wessi

FW:Holt

FW: Jackson

Ruddy

Martin De Laet Whitbread Tierney

Bennett Fox Johnson Surman

Holt Morrison

Subs: Rudd, Jackson, Vaughan, Hoolahan, Pilkington, Barnett, Naughton

Not sure Crofts will be match fit?? Maybe on the bench for Vaughan

Cant see the diamond happening. We need strength in the middle.

[quote user="Thecanaryfan"]Ruddy Martin De Laet Whitbread Tierney Bennett Fox Johnson Surman Holt Morrison Subs: Rudd, Jackson, Vaughan, Hoolahan, Pilkington, Barnett, Naughton Not sure Crofts will be match fit?? Maybe on the bench for Vaughan Cant see the diamond happening. We need strength in the middle.[/quote]

Wouldn''t a diamond be stronger in the middle than a 4-4-2 which is stronger on the wings? I imagne the midfield to be Fox, Crofts (Bennett if Crofts can''t make it), Johnson and Hoolahan.

[quote user="YellowLittle1"]

So based on seeing that one pre season I would say:

Ruddy

CB:De Laet

CB:Whitbread/Barnett

LM:Surman

FW: Jackson[/quote]

I don''t understand why people think Fox provides enough defensive cover in midfield on his own. Teams sliced through us like a hot knife through butter when crofts did not play last season. We conceded more goals than any other team in the top six last year, so imagine the consequences of playing with less defensive cover in a league full of attacking talent.

The recently injured quartet of Martin, Crofts, Ward and Vaughan I fear will not be ready for the opening game.

Lambert to stick with the diamond:

Ruddy

RCB:Barnett

LCB:De Laet

LM:Johnson

FW:Jackson

[quote user="Hoshke"][quote user="YellowLittle1"] So based on seeing that one pre season I would say: Ruddy RB: Naughton CB:De Laet CB:Whitbread/Barnett LB: Tierney CDM:Fox RM:Bennett LM:Surman CAM:Wessi FW:Holt FW: Jackson[/quote] I don''t understand why people think Fox provides enough defensive cover in midfield on his own. Teams sliced through us like a hot knife through butter when crofts did not play last season. We conceded more goals than any other team in the top six last year, so imagine the consequences of playing with less defensive cover in a league full of attacking talent. The recently injured quartet of Martin, Crofts, Ward and Vaughan I fear will not be ready for the opening game. Lambert to stick with the diamond: Ruddy RB: Naughton RCB:Barnett LCB:De Laet LB: Tierney CDM:Fox RM:Bennett LM:Johnson CAM:Wessi FW:Holt FW:Jackson[/quote]

I would rather play with 5 midfielders as I think that''ll work better, but I think against Wigan we need to play positively especially as furst game of season.

Plus with Bennett who puts his foot in and also the way the fullbacks were reading the game against Parma I don''t think it''ll be a massive problem.

I feel a lot more assured and originally would have said

Ruddy
Naughton De Laet  Whitbread/Barnett Tierney
             Fox Crofts/Johnson
Bennett      Wessi        Surman
                    Holt