Sign in to follow this  
LeJuge

Could Grant Holt play for England?

Could do a job but unlikely to get a chance as he''s at an unfashionable club - always seems to be the way through history - they play well, then get the England call pretty much as soon as they''re out the door to a ''bigger'' club.

He''d certainly show more passion than the current shower being picked

[quote user="LeJuge"]Even if it is in a meaningless friendly? Bothroyd got a cap in the Championship, Davies played at 34, they were still using Heskey recently, Nugent got one a few years ago without doing anything at all in the Premier League.Is the idea really that far out there? It is clear that we lack a Sheringham type player and that is why Capello is trying people like Davies out and having to use Heskey. We have an abundance of the quick and fast type of striker, the Bent''s and Defoe''s of this world, but England don''t really have anybody big and strong to hold the ball up do they? Crouch can''t really play that role. I think they should give him a run out! [/quote]

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&v=F9S7yhD5M9A[/url]

[quote user="LeJuge"][quote user="Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man"]Well, he is no worse than Jay Bothroyd, and possibly even Kevin Davies, but the bloke is 30-years-old with no Premier League games under his belt. So, come on, be realistic...[/quote]You mean like realistically pointing out that Robert Green was called up for England whilst in The Championship and played only 1 year of Prem football in a relegation season before getting his first cap? And realistically referring to the England cap that Dave Nugent won without kicking a Premiership ball? Or perhaps that Bothroyd made his debut after 3 years of Championship football? Or perhaps I should realistically refer to Joe Lewis, who got called up whilst in League Two!Before those lot the last player to play for England whilst in The Championship was Steve Bull. As less and less English players are accomodated in the Premier League, we go deeper and deeper for players. I can''t remember who it was, but a former player forecast a time when we would be picking ten players from the Championship in every squad. We are seeing it for ourselves, the standard of the Championship rising year on year.Will we see Carlton Cole, Robert Green, and Scott Parker in the England squad this coming year? Wouldn''t rule it out mate! Seth Johnson played a year after playing for Crewe in a relegation fight.The question that I posed by the way is COULD Grant Holt get an England cap, not SHOULD Grant Holt get an England cap. If the following people managed to get one:
  • Francis Jeffers
  • Seth Johnson
  • Michael Ricketts
  • Lee Hendrie
  • Alan Thompson
  • David Dunn
  • Michael Ball
  • Richard Wright
  • Dave Nugent
Then the answer is probably yes, he could! [/quote]But my point is that Holt is 30. The players you mentioned were all younger than Holt, and with the exception of Joe Lewis, all of them were playing Premier League football in less than a year. Lewis was only promoted from the U-21s at the last minute because of injuries, like Loach and Fielding were this season, as an emergency.

[quote user="Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man"][quote user="LeJuge"][quote user="Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man"]Well, he is no worse than Jay Bothroyd, and possibly even Kevin Davies, but the bloke is 30-years-old with no Premier League games under his belt. So, come on, be realistic...[/quote]You mean like realistically pointing out that Robert Green was called up for England whilst in The Championship and played only 1 year of Prem football in a relegation season before getting his first cap? And realistically referring to the England cap that Dave Nugent won without kicking a Premiership ball? Or perhaps that Bothroyd made his debut after 3 years of Championship football? Or perhaps I should realistically refer to Joe Lewis, who got called up whilst in League Two!Before those lot the last player to play for England whilst in The Championship was Steve Bull. As less and less English players are accomodated in the Premier League, we go deeper and deeper for players. I can''t remember who it was, but a former player forecast a time when we would be picking ten players from the Championship in every squad. We are seeing it for ourselves, the standard of the Championship rising year on year.Will we see Carlton Cole, Robert Green, and Scott Parker in the England squad this coming year? Wouldn''t rule it out mate! Seth Johnson played a year after playing for Crewe in a relegation fight.The question that I posed by the way is COULD Grant Holt get an England cap, not SHOULD Grant Holt get an England cap. If the following people managed to get one:
  • Francis Jeffers
  • Seth Johnson
  • Michael Ricketts
  • Lee Hendrie
  • Alan Thompson
  • David Dunn
  • Michael Ball
  • Richard Wright
  • Dave Nugent
Then the answer is probably yes, he could! [/quote]But my point is that Holt is 30. The players you mentioned were all younger than Holt, and with the exception of Joe Lewis, all of them were playing Premier League football in less than a year. Lewis was only promoted from the U-21s at the last minute because of injuries, like Loach and Fielding were this season, as an emergency.[/quote]I do understand your point, but I can also counter it. Steve Guppy, Alan Thompson, and Kevin Davies made England debuts in their thirties! None of them at fashionable clubs either.... although granted, the first two are left footed.... come to think of it, makes it such a shame that Hucks didn''t get one if you look at the first two :/

Not an England player, I think that is the bottom line here.

As we much love Grant Holt, and as the song goes, ''We f**king love Grant Holt!'' deep down we all know that he just isn''t a player that could do a capable job at international level, and anyway, do we want him to? If the ridiculous became reality and our slightly out of shape ex tyre fitter donned an England shirt and resembled a top drawer striker do you think he''d hang around if the inevitable happened and the likes of Bolton, Sunderland, Everton, Newcastle etc would smell a bargain and prize him off of us because I can assure you now that is what would happen. As much as Grant Holt loves it here if he got offered to play for one of the bigger clubs with a contract that set he and his family upfor life he''d take it like you and I would.

As for payers picked from lower leagues, Peter Taylor, 3rd division with Palace but picked for England. Paul Merson with Boro in the 1st division, Gascoigne with Boro in the 1st division........

[quote user="LeJuge"][quote user="Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man"][quote user="LeJuge"][quote user="Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man"]Well, he is no worse than Jay Bothroyd, and possibly even Kevin Davies, but the bloke is 30-years-old with no Premier League games under his belt. So, come on, be realistic...[/quote]You mean like realistically pointing out that Robert Green was called up for England whilst in The Championship and played only 1 year of Prem football in a relegation season before getting his first cap? And realistically referring to the England cap that Dave Nugent won without kicking a Premiership ball? Or perhaps that Bothroyd made his debut after 3 years of Championship football? Or perhaps I should realistically refer to Joe Lewis, who got called up whilst in League Two!Before those lot the last player to play for England whilst in The Championship was Steve Bull. As less and less English players are accomodated in the Premier League, we go deeper and deeper for players. I can''t remember who it was, but a former player forecast a time when we would be picking ten players from the Championship in every squad. We are seeing it for ourselves, the standard of the Championship rising year on year.Will we see Carlton Cole, Robert Green, and Scott Parker in the England squad this coming year? Wouldn''t rule it out mate! Seth Johnson played a year after playing for Crewe in a relegation fight.The question that I posed by the way is COULD Grant Holt get an England cap, not SHOULD Grant Holt get an England cap. If the following people managed to get one:
  • Francis Jeffers
  • Seth Johnson
  • Michael Ricketts
  • Lee Hendrie
  • Alan Thompson
  • David Dunn
  • Michael Ball
  • Richard Wright
  • Dave Nugent
Then the answer is probably yes, he could! [/quote]But my point is that Holt is 30. The players you mentioned were all younger than Holt, and with the exception of Joe Lewis, all of them were playing Premier League football in less than a year. Lewis was only promoted from the U-21s at the last minute because of injuries, like Loach and Fielding were this season, as an emergency.[/quote]I do understand your point, but I can also counter it. Steve Guppy, Alan Thompson, and Kevin Davies made England debuts in their thirties! None of them at fashionable clubs either.... although granted, the first two are left footed.... come to think of it, makes it such a shame that Hucks didn''t get one if you look at the first two :/

[/quote]

Kevin Davies has played in the premier league for the last 9 seasons. He had also been a really consistent player in a often struggling side, and i think was unlucky not to have been capped earlier. As soon as i take off any yellow and green tinted glasses, i think Holt is just a worse version of Kevin Davies

If we''re doing well, and Holt is netting, and we get injuries, then Capello will have no choice. Current situation - No, potentially - yes. Same goes for Russell Martin, Kyle Naughton, John Ruddy, David Fox etc I think.

Of course he could, but I see it highly unlikely. For him just to get called up Rooney, Bent, Defoe and co will all have to be unavailable and I reckon that Capello would prefer to play Welbeck ahead of Holt.

In case you haven''t realised Russell ''The Norfolk Cafu'' Martin plays for Scotland.

''If'' big G is hammering in the goals in the premiership then yes but that is a massive if, a Jan Molby''s gut in a City shirt sized if!

Oh Yeah, forgot about that. Give Holt the same start to the season as Andy Carroll got last year and he''s got a great chance of getting in the England setup, unlikely he will, but you never know. Some people doubted he''d make it in league 1, football''s a funny old game.

i think the player most likely to get a call up (not a cap) for England is John Ruddy.  clearly Holt is the better player but we don''t have a lot of English PL goalkeepers.