Sign in to follow this  
LeJuge

Could Grant Holt play for England?

Even if it is in a meaningless friendly? Bothroyd got a cap in the Championship, Davies played at 34, they were still using Heskey recently, Nugent got one a few years ago without doing anything at all in the Premier League.Is the idea really that far out there? It is clear that we lack a Sheringham type player and that is why Capello is trying people like Davies out and having to use Heskey. We have an abundance of the quick and fast type of striker, the Bent''s and Defoe''s of this world, but England don''t really have anybody big and strong to hold the ball up do they? Crouch can''t really play that role. I think they should give him a run out!

i personally doubt it as there would be no reason for it. Holt is 30 now and england should be looking to play our youngest stars to get them used to each other.

As much as I love Mr Holt he''s not up to that standard. He falls into the ''willing but limited English striker'' category. Grant will run until his lungs stop working, he''ll apply pressure to opposing defenders, he''ll chase lost causes, he''ll do his best to bring team mates into the game, and in the Premiership he might even grab us 10 goals but he''s not anything like what an international striker needs to be. Bothroyd does have that little something about him but even he isn''t up to the level needed, England need to stop handing out caps willy nilly, it''s getting bloody silly (that rhymed!) Michael Ricketts anyone?

Could he? Course he could. He''d show more heart and desire than any of the current bunch too....Will it happen? Doubt it, FA are a shower of sh*te.

[quote user="gary_critter"]As much as I love Mr Holt he''s not up to that standard.[/quote]Did you watch Rooney at the last world cup?He wasn''t up to our (L1) standard.

Of course he could… what is it you see about the current crowd that makes you think they are vastly superior?As has already been mentioned, he would give you 100% (you cannot give more than 100% despite the sporting cliches) and there are not many England players you can say that about.I believe Grant would see an international cap as it should be see seen, a massive achievement, not an inconvenience. He''d do very well, no mistake.

[quote user="ms miggins"]i personally doubt it as there would be no reason for it. Holt is 30 now and england should be looking to play our youngest stars to get them used to each other.[/quote]And what young target men are around exactly? I can''t think of any new young hitmen, Andy Carroll will be the next one of course, but other than that.... It looks like Capello is looking for somebody to do the Heskey job. Bothroyd, check.... Davies, check...... Holt? Check?

[quote user="Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man"]Well, he is no worse than Jay Bothroyd, and possibly even Kevin Davies, but the bloke is 30-years-old with no Premier League games under his belt. So, come on, be realistic...[/quote]You mean like realistically pointing out that Robert Green was called up for England whilst in The Championship and played only 1 year of Prem football in a relegation season before getting his first cap? And realistically referring to the England cap that Dave Nugent won without kicking a Premiership ball? Or perhaps that Bothroyd made his debut after 3 years of Championship football? Or perhaps I should realistically refer to Joe Lewis, who got called up whilst in League Two!Before those lot the last player to play for England whilst in The Championship was Steve Bull. As less and less English players are accomodated in the Premier League, we go deeper and deeper for players. I can''t remember who it was, but a former player forecast a time when we would be picking ten players from the Championship in every squad. We are seeing it for ourselves, the standard of the Championship rising year on year.Will we see Carlton Cole, Robert Green, and Scott Parker in the England squad this coming year? Wouldn''t rule it out mate! Seth Johnson played a year after playing for Crewe in a relegation fight.The question that I posed by the way is COULD Grant Holt get an England cap, not SHOULD Grant Holt get an England cap. If the following people managed to get one:
  • Francis Jeffers
  • Seth Johnson
  • Michael Ricketts
  • Lee Hendrie
  • Alan Thompson
  • David Dunn
  • Michael Ball
  • Richard Wright
  • Dave Nugent
Then the answer is probably yes, he could!

[quote user="LeJuge"][quote user="Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man"]Well, he is no worse than Jay Bothroyd, and possibly even Kevin Davies, but the bloke is 30-years-old with no Premier League games under his belt. So, come on, be realistic...[/quote]You mean like realistically pointing out that Robert Green was called up for England whilst in The Championship and played only 1 year of Prem football in a relegation season before getting his first cap? And realistically referring to the England cap that Dave Nugent won without kicking a Premiership ball? Or perhaps that Bothroyd made his debut after 3 years of Championship football? Or perhaps I should realistically refer to Joe Lewis, who got called up whilst in League Two!Before those lot the last player to play for England whilst in The Championship was Steve Bull. As less and less English players are accomodated in the Premier League, we go deeper and deeper for players. I can''t remember who it was, but a former player forecast a time when we would be picking ten players from the Championship in every squad. We are seeing it for ourselves, the standard of the Championship rising year on year.Will we see Carlton Cole, Robert Green, and Scott Parker in the England squad this coming year? Wouldn''t rule it out mate! Seth Johnson played a year after playing for Crewe in a relegation fight.The question that I posed by the way is COULD Grant Holt get an England cap, not SHOULD Grant Holt get an England cap. If the following people managed to get one:
  • Francis Jeffers
  • Seth Johnson
  • Michael Ricketts
  • Lee Hendrie
  • Alan Thompson
  • David Dunn
  • Michael Ball
  • Richard Wright
  • Dave Nugent
Then the answer is probably yes, he could! [/quote]League One for Joe Lewis of course.

Completely agree with you Twitchy, he''s barely good enough to play in the Premier League never mind International football! If you think he can, you must be clueless. You probably think we can win the league next season as well!

Having watched England in the world cup, or Man U/Barcelona in the Champions League, I''m not convinced the "old fashioned target man" has a role in top level football.  If they are then Kevin Davies would be first choice, Heskey second, Holt perhaps a distant third.  So yes he could play for England, but not sure it would be a good sign if he did.

Please be realistic! Grant Holt will go in The January window, the purpose of the new contract was to extract max possible fee + by then us fans will have come round to the idea!

Love him to bits but I fear that the cameras this season will highlight his game and the officials will not be so kindly toward him during the second half of the season.

Thats the focus which the premier league and international games are under these days.

Example against Zaragosa;

Ball comes over the top heading towards the corner, no way Grant is going to get it so he trails a leg & tumbles, linesman (who is running back trying to keep up with ball) flags & hey presto we are left with a free kick 25 yards out plus one angry defender protesting his innocence.

That would be replayed in super slowmo 30 times from 4 angles, showing quite clearly what happened. This can happen several times a game which will build him a reputation.

End result:

We love Holt!

Ref''s and other teams show him less tolerance.

[Binner intrusion? Could be.

Could be. Never has a Canary player been reviled so much south of the border it seems. "He is even more unpopular with us lot than that Huckleberry was," quote an Ipswich supporting aquaintance of mine.

As for |Grant playing for England? Not really: too old, not quite classy enough, at the wrong club; the reasons are endless to the extent that this question need not really be asked.

Besides, we don''t want our star exposed to the extra risks of injury and fatigue that are part and parcel of an international call-up.

Reality check: Darren Huckerby played just one "B" game for England and at a time when we were short of genuine left-sided talent. This is not an attempt at comparing the player''s roles but more a reminder of just what it takes even to play for  England.

[quote user="Captain Holts Derby Day Hat-Trick"]I notice this thread has been hijacked by a lot of newbies...scum?[/quote]Makes a change, threads usually get hijacked by attention seekers, and the resident knobheads.

Huckerby was a far superior player and closer to england class and did not not play for england.

Holt is a fab club man - but whichever way you look at it he is not good enough. The think that links most of the one cap wonders is that they were young

DJ Campbell scored goals in the prem - does not make him international standard - and he has one attribute that Holt desparately needs to be an international striker nowadays - pace.

The voice of reason.

How could referees become any less tolerant?

All the championship games were filmed, we won''t have that many more games on TV this season.

And most of the time, Holt is very clever when winning fouls, he makes sure there is contact, and if there is contact its a foul, even if he forced the contact.

[quote user="The Voice Of Reason"]Love him to bits but I fear that the cameras this season will highlight his game and the officials will not be so kindly toward him during the second half of the season. Thats the focus which the premier league and international games are under these days. Example against Zaragosa; Ball comes over the top heading towards the corner, no way Grant is going to get it so he trails a leg & tumbles, linesman (who is running back trying to keep up with ball) flags & hey presto we are left with a free kick 25 yards out plus one angry defender protesting his innocence. That would be replayed in super slowmo 30 times from 4 angles, showing quite clearly what happened. This can happen several times a game which will build him a reputation. End result: We love Holt! Ref''s and other teams show him less tolerance.[/quote]

Totally disagree. You talk as though Holt is a cheat, which he is not, and everything in the Championship was caught on camera. I don''t remember a single time when Holt has gone down without contact. Sure he may go down easily or even look for the contact, but thats just playing the game - thats just clever. If you don''t go down you don''t get the foul. Sure other teams won''t like it but its not like they won''t all be doing the same.

To answer the question, yes he could, but for some of the reasons mentioned already, for one half only, he was faster once and could get a little fitter, but his play brings moral focus to any team he plays with, he is a great team player and could fit into any team, so why not, unless there are better players, off course.

I thought there was a new English target man, he cost something like £35m, plays for liverpool can score with his head and feet from inside and outside the box....Andy Carroll is much betetr than Holt ! Sorry!

I tend to agree with Derby Canary and think Holt may sold, within a year. I fear he may struggle in the Premiership because of a lack of pace, and I think it took him 3 months or so to find his feet in the Championship (though to be fair he probably didn''t start the season fully fit to be fair). That said, he attacks the ball very well in the box, and the fact that we have acquired 2 wide men and is the penalty taker are in his favour, and may see Holt getting 10-15 goals if things go well for him, in which case his name will get banded about for England.

Holt has contributed enormously to our cause over the last 2 seasons and I would love nothing more than to see him smash in 20 goals and go on to play for England. However, playing in the Premiership will probably represent the pinnacle of his career - he will start in front of the other strikers, but Morison & co will be breathing down his neck for his starting place. I can envisage Holt being used as an impact sub after 10-15 games, but we''ll see.

To me the bottom line is if he comes out and scores like he has in the past for us he will be given a game but that means 20-25 goals or so this year and with all of our different options not sure he will have that chance but they cant just over look a goal scorer if he is doing it at the highest level

[quote user="Blurboy1980"]To me the bottom line is if he comes out and scores like he has in the past for us he will be given a game but that means 20-25 goals or so this year and with all of our different options not sure he will have that chance but they cant just over look a goal scorer if he is doing it at the highest level
[/quote]

Well if he manages that he''ll be picking up the golden boot next year and should most certainly be in the England set-up. I''d be over the moon if he gets ten.

I may have commented against Holt playing for England but I''m no binner, I feel it would affect him in a bad way if he got the call, Michael Ricketts anyone?

Seriously, I love Big G but even he probably knows he isn''t the kind of player that would cut it at that level, as good as he is for us it just wouldn''t work out in the England shirt, probably to our benefit.

Having watched the likes of Drinkell, Sutton, Robins, Iwan and now Holt batter away at defences I''ve watched enough football to know that the big fella isn''t what this country needs, great goal today though!!!