Sign in to follow this  
Wales Canary

Cody

[quote user="gary_critter"]I think he''s had a raw deal, streets ahead of Wilbraham. I still can''t beleive Wilbraham is in the premier league at 31, it just seems wierd, he didn''t really do anything (1 goal against Leicester) until he got injured and paved the way for Lambo to start with Jackson regularly so he could shut up all the doubters that used to get on his back if he didn''t run through the whole opposing team and score every time he got the ball. Jackson ended up scoring the goal that took us up whilst Aaron ''Pele'' Wilbraham was injured, the best thing he did for the club was get injured, we''d have probably stumbled into the play offs if he stayed fit and who knows what would have happened then? I wish Cody all the best, I hope he smashes a load of goals in this season and the future[/quote]

I personally thought Wilbraham''s contribution last season was pretty good and from what I''ve seen of him pre-season as well I think he will play a decent part this season when called upon.  Lambert obviously rates him and not only has he seen alot more of him than you or I have but he''s also a qualified football coach who has won the Champions League.

Maybe you don''t have such a good view of what goes on from your seat/armchair? To be fair, having sat in the Jarrold stand quite low down on Saturday I realised you get a completely different view of the game so I can see how people''s opinions can differ. I sit quite high up behind the goal with my season ticket and can see alot of the movement, space created for other players etc.  Sadly a lot of people who don''t really understand football properly seem to miss alot of what happens off the ball. Strikers'' movement without the ball is just as important as when they do on it but if strikers don''t score a goal every other game people get on their backs which is really unfair and all it does is make them less likely to score when the chance comes along as the confidence is knocked. It''s something which is always going to happen and I''m sure it''s not just Norwich fans.. shame though.

I think the problem is that we''ve just not seen enough of Cody,

He looks like the kind of player the canary faithful would love and I think we just yearn to have another hero amongst the others.

For me it is disappointing, if we were still in the Championship I don''t think we''d have bought Morison or Vaughan and Cody would have got his chance.

At the end of the day not one fan can say they know better than Lambert, he see''s him in training and he gets the reports from Gillingham, and if he says no then that''s it and that should be good enough for the fans.

People seem to be reacting in a similar way to Roeder''s dispensing of Huckerby. Its just not the same and we have to trust Lambert.

The man is god and knows far better than we do.

[quote user="Charlie Sierra"]

Maybe you don''t have such a good view of what goes on from your seat/armchair?

[/quote]

Haha, no airmchair for me Charlie, no, I''ve been going to Carra Rud since 1987 and have attended well over 500 games over land and sea!

No I''m sorry but I just don''t like the way Cody hasn''t been given a fair crack. Fair enough we don''t see what Lambo sees but managers do sometimes get it wrong and I think Lambo may have done so with Cody. Nothing has convinced me that Wilbraham is good enough, the Doncaster game was a fine example of his staticness up front with Holt, the 2 can''t play together, they just don''t get into the right spaces, Holt needs a quick and clever guy alongside him, not some lower league journeyman. Fair enough, Cody has never played at a higher level than the Championship but whenever I''ve seen him play he looks keen as mustard, reminds a bit of Bobby Zamora in his brighton days, raw but raring to go

I totally agree critter with regards to your points about Cody, just not with your opinions on Wilbraham.  Based on the limited game time we''ve seen of him I''ve seen a player with a good touch, good awareness and positional sense who rarely gives the ball away and is good in the air. Like Lambert said in the interview post Leicester game, he''s done everything that''s been asked of him.  He''s never going to set the Premiership alight but I think he will be handy to bring on in certain situations.  Like I say though, everyone sees different things and are entitled to their opinions.  I just feel its detrimental to the team as a whole if individuals are openly criticised.  My stance is that we should get behind any player in a Norwich shirt. I''m no pyschologist but any true fan with half an ounce of intelligence would surely see how detrimental pointed and unsubstantiated cirtism can be on a players confidence levels?

In Lambert we trust of course! However, even the greatest managers the game has ever seen make mistakes. Just like Lambert has made mistakes in his past career as a manager and will make more mistakes in the future.

Paul Lambert is a very good manager, he is not an infallible demigod.

Wilbraham is a waste of a place in the 25 man squad. Imagine the other 19 Premier League managers, quaking in their boots and wondering how on earth they will cope with the prospect of Aaron Wilbraham coming onto the field of play for the final 10 or 15 minutes of a game. Putting a scarecrow on the pitch for the final 10 or 15 mintues would do more good than Wilbraham ever will in the Premiership.

There is no way on this earth that Wilbraham should be ahead of Cody in the pecking order.

Which brings me on to Cody. He is young(ish) (certainly young compared to Holt, Wilbraham, Morison), he is hungry, has bags of fight, passion and desire and last but not least, he knows where the goal is. Now, if only there was a manager out there who wanted to sign young hungry players[;)][:O]. Which leads me to wonder whether something has gone on between Lambert and Cody? Have they clashed, has Cody spoken out at not being given a chance perhaps?

If Cody doesn''t find a new club and if there is a place not taken in the 25, then it would surely be worth naming Cody in the final place if he is still here. Look at Sunderland last season, they were left with no fit strikers at one point. If Cody is still here and even if there is a space in the 25 Lambert still wouldn''t name Cody. 

slim, i fear you may be right now i''ve read that.

It''s strange that Cody has not really been about with the squad, anyone seen him on any pics pre-season training?

At the end of the day, everyone saying in Lambert we trust - Yeah, we all do, the guy has done wonders for us.

However, all his information is coming from 2nd hand opinions watching Cody, has he really seen him in training since he left started at Gillingham last season?

Would love to see the pinkun run a story on this so either the player or manager could say something positive. Would love to hear Paul praise him but explain that he cannot justify his inclusion because of the part that players like Wilbraham played last season.

That for me would be enough as a supporter.

It''s frustrating seeing a few words about Cody when he has gone away, as asked, worked his arse off, scored a ton of quality goals and has now had the club turn their back on him with no public praise.

Good post Slim and I agree with regards to Wilbraham.

Maybe its time that one of the journo''s from Archant approached the subject with Lambert or maybe Cody ?

I don''t think it is a ''mistake'' as such by Lambert because if we can all see what Cody can potentially do and we haven''t seen a great deal of him then why can''t Lambert who see''s him a hell of a lot more and knows slightly more about what makes a good player than us.

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

In Lambert we trust of course! However, even the greatest managers the game has ever seen make mistakes. Just like Lambert has made mistakes in his past career as a manager and will make more mistakes in the future.

Paul Lambert is a very good manager, he is not an infallible demigod.

Wilbraham is a waste of a place in the 25 man squad. Imagine the other 19 Premier League managers, quaking in their boots and wondering how on earth they will cope with the prospect of Aaron Wilbraham coming onto the field of play for the final 10 or 15 minutes of a game. Putting a scarecrow on the pitch for the final 10 or 15 mintues would do more good than Wilbraham ever will in the Premiership.

There is no way on this earth that Wilbraham should be ahead of Cody in the pecking order.

Which brings me on to Cody. He is young(ish) (certainly young compared to Holt, Wilbraham, Morison), he is hungry, has bags of fight, passion and desire and last but not least, he knows where the goal is. Now, if only there was a manager out there who wanted to sign young hungry players[;)][:O]. Which leads me to wonder whether something has gone on between Lambert and Cody? Have they clashed, has Cody spoken out at not being given a chance perhaps?

If Cody doesn''t find a new club and if there is a place not taken in the 25, then it would surely be worth naming Cody in the final place if he is still here. Look at Sunderland last season, they were left with no fit strikers at one point. If Cody is still here and even if there is a space in the 25 Lambert still wouldn''t name Cody. 

[/quote]

I made this point about Lambert and Cody last week on the Billericay thread. There appears to be similarities with the way Roeder treated Lappin IMO. It''s simply not logical to immediately discard a 25 a season striker without giving him an opportunity to shine in pre-season, especially with his attributes. I''m sure that more will come out once Cody has gone, but if this situation spurs Cody on to performing in a similar way to Lappin it will only augur well for his ongoing carreer.