Sign in to follow this  
Indy

Newcastle United are considering a bid of £3.5m for Norwich City striker Grant Holt!

From BBC rumours page, but 3.5 million for Holt, as much as I love Holty never would anyone offer 3.5 million!

There is no way the club would let hime go anyway, integral part of our team and big part of the push to stay up in this division.

Can''t wait till 1 Sep when the silly season can stop.

Dont doubt for a second he is worth that amount going by how well he played last season and the price of other players

several times last season i heard pundits say how he could slot into any team and score goals some of that talk was in refference to arsenal

also cant think of many players i would want to replace him with and thats saying something about the sort of player he is

For the club to accept an offer for our talisman and captain less than a week before the season starts when we don''t need the money, we would have to be talking about stupid money.

£3.5m is not stupid money. File this one under cr@p.

So Newcastle value Holt at 10% of Andy Carroll.

Mmm, to quickly dispose £35m which would you buy; one Andy Carroll or ten Grant Holts?...

People may say ''but Carroll is younger and has potential''. Fair point. However, if Newcastle are seeking a replacement with potential and plenty of change from their £35m surely they should have plumped for Connor Wickham?

Don''t know about you, but judging from the Ipswich 1-5 Norwich game, I wouldn''t swap ten Connor Wickhams for one Grant Holt either. Player ''potential'' can have little impact in key games - and it certainly doesn''t win league points.

Holt is in his prime; he leads and he wins. He averages around a goal every other game, gets back-to-back promotions, helps earn £ millions for his employers and he can even fit car tyres (probably with his bare hands).

So where does that leave Holt''s market valuation? Way more than £3.5m that''s for sure.

I certainly don''t doubt that this utter garbage (someone seems intent on unsettling us) but were it true and he did leave and we got, say, Long in instead, would that be enough to make up for it? I guess there is something to think about, but I personally wouldn''t want him to go for anything other than a daft amount (say £5m+) - he may be 30 now and untried at this level (part of the reason it seems unlikely sides would go for him) but he is a massive part of our resurgence and is the club captain.

He''s not for sale for a sensible price. £3.5 is how much he probably is worth... however we dont need or want to sell and he has a long contract left. Nothing but crazy money would even tempt the board to consider it, the money from staying up is likely to be bigger than anything Newcastle offer us.

Market Value: £3.5m

NCFC Value: £10m

Grant Holt''s realistic market value is completely different from his value for us. The captain of any team is always going to be worth more all round value to a team (especially a ''smaller'' team in the league) then to the general current market value.

His current goal-scoring record is prolific but not a single goal has been scored in the Premier League (obvious reasons) and his age means crucically no re-sale potential, a major factor in buying players in the last year or two. Big fees are being paid less and less for established older world-class players and more and more for younger-potential world class players.

No point discussing this. The club have already announced that Holt won''t be sold.

Like many have said, his re-sale value is peanuts compared to his value to the team as captain, the focal point of our attack and ambassador to the club.

This rumour is the most ridiculous I''ve heard this summer.

[quote user="Hoshke"]No point discussing this. The club have already announced that Holt won''t be sold. Like many have said, his re-sale value is peanuts compared to his value to the team as captain, the focal point of our attack and ambassador to the club. This rumour is the most ridiculous I''ve heard this summer.[/quote]

Huzzah! [Y]

I will just add to all you who think Holt won''t be sold by the club....what if Holt asks to talk with Newcastle, what if he wanted to go?

I''m not saying for one minute he does but if the player decides his future lies elsewhere then there is little the club can do!

I agree that it is unsettling but not unexpected given his perfomrances over the past two years and the lack of his type of hard working striker around.

I agree this is utter tripe and won''t be gone this year.

I don''t think this has anything to it. Newcastle''s policy has been to buy young players and fix them down on very long contracts. That''s the reason why they are offloading Barton and Nolan and replacing them with Cabaye, Obertan and Marveuex all on 5 year contracts. A load of nonsense but that''s Mike Ashley''s policy.

Its innevitable these sort of rumours - GH has a great scoring record, he''s been about a bit (not quite a "journeyman") but he seems settled with us, a la Hucks.Newcastle need a striker who can score goals - some geordie with too much time on his hands probably wrote on a forum "Aye woodna mind that Grant Holt like from that thar sotherners Norwich like - bet we coood get him cheap like on a canny deal, noo?" or something along those lines.Some lazy journo picked up on it, and Bingo - its in the dizzy heights of jornalism and pullitzer prize nominees that is "footybunker.com".

[quote user="Hoshke"]No point discussing this. The club have already announced that Holt won''t be sold.

Like many have said, his re-sale value is peanuts compared to his value to the team as captain, the focal point of our attack and ambassador to the club.

This rumour is the most ridiculous I''ve heard this summer.[/quote]Every player has a price.  FACT

[quote user="Gene Tierney"][quote user="Hoshke"]No point discussing this. The club have already announced that Holt won''t be sold. Like many have said, his re-sale value is peanuts compared to his value to the team as captain, the focal point of our attack and ambassador to the club. This rumour is the most ridiculous I''ve heard this summer.[/quote]

Every player has a price.  FACT
[/quote]

Now wait for the Lemmings to leap...FACT. [:S]

"Can''t wait till 1 Sep when the silly season can stop."

perhaps you could tell us all what causes it ?

obvious rubbish being regurgitated on here by the terminally dim maybe ?

While I have serious doubts about this one I would make an obsevation; Newcastle is close to where Grant comes from and he could fancy a move there.

As I said though I doubt if a bid would even be made.

" Newcastle is close to where Grant comes from "

or that is why Newcastle were picked for this bit of stupidity

Its like having an accident in a tried and tested old car. He is worth more to us than any amount of cash we are likely to be paid for him by anyone. He is the difference between staying up and going down £40m reasons to keep him. But if a bid is made would he want to go i suspect he may if the wages were a lot higher and it is close to his home town and family

He''s not going to find out how much his wages would be, does anyone know how much he''s on now?

''Every player has his price'' Of course but as others have said what he is worth to other clubs is nowhere near how much he is worth to us. If we sell him we may aswell not play this season because its not just his goals that have such an effect on us its his leadership and dressing room attitude.

Utter. Rubbish.

"Can''t wait till 1 Sep when the silly season can stop."

perhaps you could tell us all what causes it ?

obvious rubbish being regurgitated on here by the terminally dim maybe ?

Well don''t bother reading the obvious rubbish then City!

As its reported on the BBC football rumours why does it have to be rubbish, just because you say it is? So who are you to say it''s rubbish, what you spoken to Newcastle, Holt or the club to verify this is rubbish or are you just having an opinion that it''s tripe?

[quote user="Indy"]I will just add to all you who think Holt won''t be sold by the club....what if Holt asks to talk with Newcastle, what if he wanted to go?

I''m not saying for one minute he does but if the player decides his future lies elsewhere then there is little the club can do!

I agree that it is unsettling but not unexpected given his perfomrances over the past two years and the lack of his type of hard working striker around.

I agree this is utter tripe and won''t be gone this year.[/quote]If his comments in the papers and when i met him, has anything to do with it,he will finish his career here, or until Norwich agrees to release him!! He loves the club,THE FANS,and the area...

Having said that,it would mean a move back to his roots,but i gather he has a lot of loyalty to us for showing faith in him...3.5 MILL WOULDNT BUY HIS LACES!!

"Well don''t bother reading the obvious rubbish then City!

As its reported on the BBC football rumours why does it have to be rubbish, just because you say it is? So who are you to say it''s rubbish, what you spoken to Newcastle, Holt or the club to verify this is rubbish or are you just having an opinion that it''s tripe? "

I didn''t read the rubbish, I was replying to the OP.

The BBC reported a chap saying the world was going to end in a few days. Does that means that his prophecy was not rubbish, just because it was reported on the BBC ? Does it also mean I should not watch the BBC because it reported a piece of rubbish ?

If I claimed that the moon was going to turn pink on Saturday would everyones view that I was talking rubbish not count - just because they had not talked to Patrick Moore, NASA or the met office etc ? Or that my claim was not rubbish because it was reported on the BBC ?

Part of being a grown up is the ability to apply reasoned thought to things around you.

So as a grown up I would say he is not going to Newcastle and that the claim is rubbish. Perhaps you might care to tell us if Holt is going to Newcastle, and so rubbishing the rubbish claim..

Well I come accross the first knob on the pink un in city 1st.

Not only does he refer to me as Dim for posting a Norwich related threadm but he also thinks that reasoned debate is agreeing with his view.

So 3.5 million isn''t a reasonable offer, Newcastle might indeed be looking for a striker of Holts mold and it might just be that the club think 3.5 million for Holt at 30 could be worth considering.

But that''s just one side of the coin!

So I''m very sorry for posting a City related rumour from the BBC and as I said all along roll on 1st Spetember but that said I don''t do stupid debates with people so opinionated that they think they know it all, the last from me with you City1st,

[quote user="Indy"]Well I come accross the first knob on the pink un in city 1st. Not only does he refer to me as Dim for posting a Norwich related threadm but he also thinks that reasoned debate is agreeing with his view. So 3.5 million isn''t a reasonable offer, Newcastle might indeed be looking for a striker of Holts mold and it might just be that the club think 3.5 million for Holt at 30 could be worth considering. But that''s just one side of the coin! So I''m very sorry for posting a City related rumour from the BBC and as I said all along roll on 1st Spetember but that said I don''t do stupid debates with people so opinionated that they think they know it all, the last from me with you City1st,[/quote]

Sorry, but City1st was right Indy, you are dim...very!

Reasoned debate? with your arguement?  laughable.

[quote user="Indy"]Well I come accross the first knob on the pink un in city 1st. Not only does he refer to me as Dim for posting a Norwich related threadm but he also thinks that reasoned debate is agreeing with his view. So 3.5 million isn''t a reasonable offer, Newcastle might indeed be looking for a striker of Holts mold and it might just be that the club think 3.5 million for Holt at 30 could be worth considering. But that''s just one side of the coin! So I''m very sorry for posting a City related rumour from the BBC and as I said all along roll on 1st Spetember but that said I don''t do stupid debates with people so opinionated that they think they know it all, the last from me with you City1st,[/quote]

---

Indy, you really haven''t arrived on this message-board until City1st has described you as "terminally dim" or some such charming phrase. It really is quite an honour, actually, and should be seen by you as such...[;)]