Sign in to follow this  
LeJuge

Why is Morison number 5?

Lambert isn''t going to do a Worthy and play a striker at centre back is he? I''ve checked his Millwall number, he was 20. Just strikes me as strange. The only reason that I can think of is that Lambert didn''t want to give Barnett or Ward the number 5 because he doesn''t want either of them to feel like they are first choice, keep them both hungry and happy.Morison probably would have been happy to keep his number 20 jersey though, and I''m sure Barnett (who is number 20) would have loved to have worn number 5. Obviously you can''t take number 9 or 10 from Grant Holt or Simeone Jackson, and Vaughan came in before Morison so had first dibs on number 8. I''m not really sure how this squad numbering business normally works, and I''m sure a lot of players would feel that their number is lucky so wouldn''t want to swap it, but seems weird to dish out numbers 5 and 8 to strikers whilst Barnett and Ward have 20 and 22 and David Fox has 15.

In addition, Vaughan wore 22 at Everton last season and wore 22 in his first loan at Palace. And then wore 20 in his second loan at Palace, which are the numbers worn by Barnett and Ward. I can only think that players consider their numbers lucky because of promotion, so there wasn''t a shift around!

[quote user="Gene Tierney"]Lambert may feel that squad numbers are at the bottom of the list of importance.  You get what you get, that''s it?[/quote]Yes your right, it isn''t important, but I bet you still can''t show me another striker wearing number 5 and I bet you can''t show me a goalkeeper wearing number 11. In addition, I bet you wouldn''t go and stand in front of Grant Holt after his 50 goals in two seasons and tell him that your taking his number 9 shirt from him! Squad numbers are an important aspect of marketing when you get onto this stage mate!

[quote user="Browno"]Well he can''t be 20 because every number 20 is always a big black fella, so...[/quote]That explains Dawson wearing 20 for Spurs then :/

Barnett was number 20, he wants to stay number 20. You said you can''t take 9 away from Holt, well if Barnett wants 20, you can''t take that away from him.

You could say the same thing about Hucks and his number 6 shirt.If number 5 was available and he was offered that or something up in the 20s I''m not surprised that he took it.

[quote user="Somerset Canary"]Milan Baros wore the number 5 shirt for Liverpool. So Morison isn''t the first striker to wear that number in the Premier league.[/quote]

YES, I was gonna say that !

Im fairly sure PL as nothing to do with which player has which squad number!

Think some of you hvae been playing too much Football Manager

[quote user="CDMullins"]

Im fairly sure PL as nothing to do with which player has which squad number!

Think some of you hvae been playing too much Football Manager

[/quote]Of course the manager can change the squad numbers, why do you think Steven Smith and Cody McDonald no longer have one? Bryan Gunn changed a lot of shirt numbers.

[quote user="Somerset Canary"]Milan Baros wore the number 5 shirt for Liverpool. So Morison isn''t the first striker to wear that number in the Premier league.[/quote]Fair enough, but he didn''t keep it at Villa and he didn''t wear it for the national team so there is every chance that he didn''t choose number 5 either!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-552708/Ramos-set-ship-Lennon-Spurs-recruit-ex-United-striker-Forlan.html

The picture at the bottom of this article confirms that....just call me statto

I would imagine both morison and lambert have more to worry about than squad number

[quote user="LeJuge"][quote user="Gene Tierney"]Lambert may feel that squad numbers are at the bottom of the list of importance.  You get what you get, that''s it?
[/quote]

Yes your right, it isn''t important, but I bet you still can''t show me another striker wearing number 5 and I bet you can''t show me a goalkeeper wearing number 11. In addition, I bet you wouldn''t go and stand in front of Grant Holt after his 50 goals in two seasons and tell him that your taking his number 9 shirt from him! Squad numbers are an important aspect of marketing when you get onto this stage mate!
[/quote]

Well this is a hell of a goal scored by a Number 5 that we know rather well - does this count?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zd2idgdP5eg

Forlan wore 5 at Villarreal, Baros 5 at Liverpool.

There''s a CM in Ukraine who wears #1 I beleive. Shirt numbers are marketing tools now more than anything.

I''m a bit ''old school'' when it comes to numbers; apparently back in 1965/6 when subs were first introduced they used to run numbers 1 to 11 with one sub wearing 12. At least you knew where everyone played - some of the squad numbers nowadays are a bit confusing. I struggle to imagine an iconic footballer like Bobby Moore wearing anything other than 6...

[quote user="Norfolk Mustard"]I''m a bit ''old school'' when it comes to numbers.[/quote]

Me too. Andy Hughes was wearing the number ten shirt when he was on loan at Scunthorpe last year. Now that is just plain wrong [;)]

I think it was Pilkington who said he was given the choice between 12 and 26 so it looks as though it was up to the players to decide amongst themselves.

[quote user="LeJuge"][quote user="Gene Tierney"]Lambert may feel that squad numbers are at the bottom of the list of importance.  You get what you get, that''s it?
[/quote]

Yes your right, it isn''t important, but I bet you still can''t show me another striker wearing number 5 and I bet you can''t show me a goalkeeper wearing number 11. In addition, I bet you wouldn''t go and stand in front of Grant Holt after his 50 goals in two seasons and tell him that your taking his number 9 shirt from him! Squad numbers are an important aspect of marketing when you get onto this stage mate!
[/quote]

Diego Forlan wears number 5 for Uruguay

[quote user="Asobi Seksu"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Diego Forlan wears number 5 for Uruguay

[/quote]

Apart from he doesn''t, he wears 10, check the recent Copa America footage.

Asobi Seksu <-- hehe, that''s rude.

My favourite player number has to be Zamorano at Inter who when told he couldn''t have his preffered shirt of 9 (because some guy called Ronaldo wore that) he picked 18 and put a + sign between the two numbers.