Sign in to follow this  
Wharfside605

Cody McDonald to Crystal Palace tomorrow

I work with a chap in London who is friends with Dougie Freedman. He has mentioned today that Norwich have agreed a deal with Palace for McDonald. Didn''t say how much the deal was for but should go through today or tomorrow. I''ve had a few corporate tickets for Palace games and have met Freedman (Though my friend) so I''m guessing this is true.Good luck Cody

Good move for him if true. I doubt he''d have much trouble getting into their team judging by the friendly.

i don''t know why we don''t just loan him out to a lower end championship/high end league 1 side to show people how good he is then it will push his price tag up

great finally please go through. Long saga, there is nothing wrong with selling a player and making a profit.

Yes he may go on to great things but right now we have moved on dramatically further than any of us would have believed and some get left behind. We have had other players come back and haunt us, but I still think the best thing we could have done is found a way to work with Gillingham. He was very happy there and it is a shame we couldn''t work a deal out.

However this may be a better fit, near his roots, a team which develops young talent, a club that is at least a spring board and under freedman would play good football.

There are few players that will leave our club that will think they may have what it takes to join a team and use that to better themselves or move to a big championship club.

I wish all those out of squad the best to get to a new club and I agree, this is when your agent earns his money.

If Cody goes, great it is done and good luck. But money is good for us and a young man can play football.

[quote user="ms miggins"]i don''t know why we don''t just loan him out to a lower end championship/high end league 1 side to show people how good he is then it will push his price tag up[/quote]

Because he only has a year left on his contract.

It would make him worthless, not worth more. As he could just leave for nothing in the summer - being able to talk to who he likes from January onwards.

Although I do not agree with Paul Moy''s slavish comments re Cody, I must say this sounds a good move for him.

It wouldn''t surprise me if he has a good season.

Very best of luck Cody, you deserve this great chance.

[quote user="Cantiaci Canary"]I have a horrible feeling this may come back to haunt us in the not too distant future!!![/quote]I just want to see a decent sell-on clause, say 30% of profit.

Rumours initiated by brand new posters typically tend to resemble something that begins with ''b'' and ends in ''it'', particulary those that involve " I have a friend who....".

[quote user="LeJuge"][quote user="Cantiaci Canary"]I have a horrible feeling this may come back to haunt us in the not too distant future!!![/quote]

I just want to see a decent sell-on clause, say 30% of profit.
[/quote]

In an ideal world perhaps but consider the reality here.   You can''t say that a player is not wanted and has been told to find another club but by the way, we want a slice of future profit.   That is unfair and unreasonable.

Cody is going against his wishes.   He has never said he wants to go.   Lambert does not want him and the benefit of any further development in his career belongs to Cody and the club which takes him on.

[quote user="Desert Fox"]Rumours initiated by brand new posters typically tend to resemble something that begins with ''b'' and ends in ''it'', particulary those that involve " I have a friend who....".[/quote]Ha ha everybody is a new poster to start with. Give it a couple of days to see if it happens before you shoot it down.

We are in the premiership and hope to stay there inwhich case he would not feature for us. If we get relegated we would hope to have a squad at the top end of the premiership and as such still probably would would not feature for us. Going to a club in the championship which is likely to be bottom half is a good result for him and probably financially for us. I would be surprised if there is not a good sell on clause to hedge our bets

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"]

[quote user="LeJuge"][quote user="Cantiaci Canary"]I have a horrible feeling this may come back to haunt us in the not too distant future!!![/quote]I just want to see a decent sell-on clause, say 30% of profit.[/quote]

In an ideal world perhaps but consider the reality here.   You can''t say that a player is not wanted and has been told to find another club but by the way, we want a slice of future profit.   That is unfair and unreasonable.

Cody is going against his wishes.   He has never said he wants to go.   Lambert does not want him and the benefit of any further development in his career belongs to Cody and the club which takes him on.

[/quote]It has nothing to do with Cody though, it would be a slice of Palace''s revenues. Saying that we don''t want him is not the same as saying he is free to leave to whichever club offer Cody a deal. The asking price is said to be £600k, Palace will counter offer, what would be wrong with selling for say £400k plus a 30% sell on fee? The player does not lose anything. Nor do Palace lose anything, in fact it makes the transfer lower risk. If he doesn''t play well and score goals, they have wasted £200k less and we don''t profit. Roeder didn''t want Joe Lewis, but we had a 30% sell on clause on him too. The asking price can be 2 camels and a large rug if you want it to be. A clause such as that can simply be offered in place of a proportion of the transfer value. I can''t see how it would hinder Cody or Palace in any way. If they sold for £1.4m, having paid £400k + 30%, they would still take 700k profit. Every player has their price, whether that is £7m for Hoolahan or £100k for Oli Johnson. We haven''t said that Cody can leave for free, we''ve valued him at £600k. My personal valuation would be about the same, but if somebody like Peterborough are offering £300k or £400k then they had better come to a solution in respect of how they intend to make the deal worthwhile to use, e.g. future clauses. Cody''s own contract, releases clauses, wage, bonuses, have nothing whatsoever to do with us. But you would be best served to remember that we have invested money into Cody, he has trained in our top training facilities, been paid wages for two years, we had a transfer fee, took the whole first team squad to Dartford, he no doubt got a Promotion bonus like everybody else. I can''t see what is wrong with getting the best price possible. Megson was out there moaning about our £600k asking price and is now buying Le Fondre for £500k, who is no better than Cody. That is football, it is a business, and we aren''t here to help out other clubs. Doncaster days of throwing money around on anything and everything with no return are over, these are McNally days.

[quote user="LeJuge"][quote user="CambridgeCanary"]

[quote user="LeJuge"][quote user="Cantiaci Canary"]I have a horrible feeling this may come back to haunt us in the not too distant future!!![/quote]I just want to see a decent sell-on clause, say 30% of profit.[/quote]

[/quote]It has nothing to do with Cody though, it would be a slice of Palace''s revenues. Saying that we don''t want him is not the same as saying he is free to leave to whichever club offer Cody a deal. The asking price is said to be £600k, Palace will counter offer, what would be wrong with selling for say £400k plus a 30% sell on fee? The player does not lose anything. Nor do Palace lose anything, in fact it makes the transfer lower risk. If he doesn''t play well and score goals, they have wasted £200k less and we don''t profit. Roeder didn''t want Joe Lewis, but we had a 30% sell on clause on him too. The asking price can be 2 camels and a large rug if you want it to be. A clause such as that can simply be offered in place of a proportion of the transfer value. I can''t see how it would hinder Cody or Palace in any way. If they sold for £1.4m, having paid £400k + 30%, they would still take 700k profit. Every player has their price, whether that is £7m for Hoolahan or £100k for Oli Johnson. We haven''t said that Cody can leave for free, we''ve valued him at £600k. My personal valuation would be about the same, but if somebody like Peterborough are offering £300k or £400k then they had better come to a solution in respect of how they intend to make the deal worthwhile to use, e.g. future clauses. Cody''s own contract, releases clauses, wage, bonuses, have nothing whatsoever to do with us. But you would be best served to remember that we have invested money into Cody, he has trained in our top training facilities, been paid wages for two years, we had a transfer fee, took the whole first team squad to Dartford, he no doubt got a Promotion bonus like everybody else. I can''t see what is wrong with getting the best price possible. Megson was out there moaning about our £600k asking price and is now buying Le Fondre for £500k, who is no better than Cody. That is football, it is a business, and we aren''t here to help out other clubs. Doncaster days of throwing money around on anything and everything with no return are over, these are McNally days. [/quote]Correct,  IMO Cody has done enough for a Champ club to take a chance on him.  Therefore letting him go at the first half decent offer int going to happen.  They''ll be one or two teams looking to do a deal I''m sure, the closer it gets to deadline day for League clubs.

Hello :)

Was just wondering what you Norwich fans make of Cody? I seem to get the impression it is a bit of a case of Cody being at the club at the wrong time... would that be right?

I personally hope this really comes off - there''s not been anything other than message board speculation but I would be really pleased if it does happen, and I think a move to Palace would be good. He seems to have the right attributes to do well, and he''d be moving closer to home if he came to us, so it seems like it could work out well :)

Good luck in the Premiership, well deserved and I think you''re going to be absolutely fine tbh.

PS: How is Vaughany settling in?

[quote user="greg_cpfc"]Hello :)

Was just wondering what you Norwich fans make of Cody? I seem to get the impression it is a bit of a case of Cody being at the club at the wrong time... would that be right?

I personally hope this really comes off - there''s not been anything other than message board speculation but I would be really pleased if it does happen, and I think a move to Palace would be good. He seems to have the right attributes to do well, and he''d be moving closer to home if he came to us, so it seems like it could work out well :)

Good luck in the Premiership, well deserved and I think you''re going to be absolutely fine tbh.

PS: How is Vaughany settling in?[/quote]Fair assumption.  IMO he''d probably be given a chance had we not gone up.

Good news, if true.

Looking at their squad they have familiar names of Steffen Iversen, Jermaine Easter, Owen Garven, Neil Danns, Darren Ambrose, and Speroni.  With Cody added they may be a good outside bet for a top six place. Also within easy reach for me to see a few games at 25 quid.

Danns has moved to Leicester and as their creative heart, I fear for their chances this year. Furthermore, there have been persistent rumours on the QPR boards about Ambrose joining up with Warnock again. Top six looks like a very optimistic call to me.

[quote user="Desert Fox"]Danns has moved to Leicester and as their creative heart, I fear for their chances this year. Furthermore, there have been persistent rumours on the QPR boards about Ambrose joining up with Warnock again. Top six looks like a very optimistic call to me.[/quote]

It does in those circumstances, but I would imagine that Freedman will have adequate replacements lined up. He obviously has good scouts as he spotted Cody.

[quote user="Desert Fox"]Danns has moved to Leicester and as their creative heart, I fear for their chances this year. Furthermore, there have been persistent rumours on the QPR boards about Ambrose joining up with Warnock again. Top six looks like a very optimistic call to me.[/quote]

I''m not expecting top 6, no way, just hoping for steady progress and survival secured relatively early! There''s too many good teams in the division this year I think.

Danns has been replaced with Kagisho Dikgacoi and Mile Jedinak, which should give us a strong midfield, along with Alex Marrow, Garvan, and quality youngsters like Alex Wynter and Jon Williams... and we''re supposedly signing Anthony Gardner tomorrow, which will do nicely.

Ambrose and Clyne I am pretty sure won''t be leaving unless we get exceptional offers.

Cody would definitely go some way to completing the jigsaw IMO, and he would hopefully work well with Glenn Murray.

Greg,

Fair play - you obviously know more about your team than anyone else on here.

Can I ask a question? Have you heard any reliable rumours at your end about this potential deal or are you on this site becuase this is where you heard it?

[quote user="Desert Fox"]

Greg,

Fair play - you obviously know more about your team than anyone else on here.

Can I ask a question? Have you heard any reliable rumours at your end about this potential deal or are you on this site becuase this is where you heard it?

[/quote]

I saw it on a Palace forum this morning, and came on here and saw a similar thread. Makes me think there is perhaps something in it.

Chances are it''s going to come to nothing though, isn''t it :D

If you get Cody you''ll always have a chance of scoring and taking the points. That lad certainly knows where the net is and is perfect for the Championship. If Norwich had not gone up I doubt he''d be going anywhere.

True goalscorers don''t grow on trees do they?

[quote user="Norfolk Mustard"]

If you get Cody you''ll always have a chance of scoring and taking the points. That lad certainly knows where the net is and is perfect for the Championship. If Norwich had not gone up I doubt he''d be going anywhere.

True goalscorers don''t grow on trees do they?

[/quote]

Based on one good season at league 2 level? how is he perfect for the championship?

If Palace sign him it shows as much about their club, struggling to stay in the championship

hi there as much as understand your point about us struggling that was last season after we cam out of admin so with the signings we have made so far I think to might be surprised. I am not saying play offs but mid table this season is realistic for us.

Now as far as cody goes I think it would be a fantastic move for him to come to selhurst and i for one really hopes this deal is true.

Good luck to Norwich in the prem as i live local to norwich and carrow road.

[quote user="david_cpfc"]hi there as much as understand your point about us struggling that was last season after we cam out of admin so with the signings we have made so far I think to might be surprised. I am not saying play offs but mid table this season is realistic for us. Now as far as cody goes I think it would be a fantastic move for him to come to selhurst and i for one really hopes this deal is true. Good luck to Norwich in the prem as i live local to norwich and carrow road.[/quote]

Good little player, he desperately wants to be the best he can and take his chance and that counts for alot.  i think we as a club have seen oursleves that players from lower down the league, who are totally commited actually can perform to a higher standard than premier league reserves who have been told they are better than they actually are. Always looks like he has a goal in him whatever level he''s played at with us and a full professional season at Gillingham must have rounded off a few of the raw sides to his undoubted potential. He''s just been a victim of our success.