Sign in to follow this  
ben17ncfc

Thomas Hitzlsperger

basically, ive just seen him walking round the city. Its up to you what you want to make of it but why would he be in norwich? Would be a brilliant signing but surely we cant afford his wages.

He is on a free and i wouldn''t imagine his wages are in excess of the £20-25k mark so he could be a possibility.

however, we just signed Johnson who plays in the same position, with Crofts and Fox competing for a similar position.  i''d rather we looked at positions in the team personally.

Whilst i am not going to say i believe this for sure it does make sense in some ways.

Lambert has contacts in germany where he was until west ham.

I''m more impressed that he knows what Hitzlsperger looks like and could pick him out in a crowd. But why would he be walking around the City? [^o)][;)]

I am dead serious. He was walking around with someone who was in shorts and an adidas top, looked like some sort of trainer. He also went into Pilch and was looking at running trainers (i promise i wasn''t stalking him). Heard him speak and he had the german accent although his english is brilliant. Considering most clubs start pre-season tomorrow, it is quite strange he is just walking around the city. When do Norwich return for pre-season?

I know footballers are mostly all dumb, lumbering animals, but I''m pretty sure most of them can go and buy a pair of shoes without a trainer being with them...

Oh, and I think you''ll find he has a weird mix of German and Brummie accents from his many years at Villa...

[quote user="ben17ncfc"]

I am dead serious. He was walking around with someone who was in shorts and an adidas top, looked like some sort of trainer. He also went into Pilch and was looking at running trainers (i promise i wasn''t stalking him). Heard him speak and he had the german accent although his english is brilliant. Considering most clubs start pre-season tomorrow, it is quite strange he is just walking around the city. When do Norwich return for pre-season?

[/quote]

If all this were/is true, it would be a great signing for us.

It would be a great signing! I wish i had the balls to go up to him and ask for a photo or something for proof for the b**tards that don''t believe me!

Whilst I am 98% sure that the OP is talking rubbish, seeing as Hitzlsperger has a generic face and doesn''t exactly stand out like Linvoy Primus or Peter Crouch, I would love to see him at City.But, only on a one year contract or a contract which says we can terminate without compensation if we get relegated. I don''t think that there is anything wrong with paying somebody £30k a week whilst the budget allows it, but we have to make sure that if relegation happens it is with a squad which can be sustained for at least the first two years whilst on parachute payments.And I suspect that McNally thinks precisely the same. You only have to look at Hull with Jimmy Bullard and Ipswich with Matteo Sereni and Finidi George to see why. I would hope that City have a wage structure which allows them to be adventurish in the Premier League but protects them against relegation through either having big wage reductions upon relegation or club instigated release clauses. E.g. Go and give somebody £20k a week, but with a contract which stipulates that they go down to £10k a week if we go down, but let''s them leave if we recieve a £1m offer or something. In other words, like it or lump it. Too much player power. These BS threads do get me thinking about stuff like that. I wouldn''t want Bullard here for that reason by the way, he has sucked the life out of Hull with his £50k a week or whatever it is. Not strictly his fault, but if we were to sign him I would want really stringent clauses, which effectively give him a Championship wage - motivation to put up or leave. At current Lambert has a squad which looks like being sustainable upon relegation, albeit with a few people no doubting want to leave if it did happen, unless Lambert stayed it out to get us back up.

Ben, like everyone else who spots a player of renown. please go up and have a chat with him, it would sound a lot better if you''d said ''I talked to Hitzlsperger in the City'' maybe you could have even asked the man what he was doing in Norwich. 

[quote user="LeJuge"]But, only on a one year contract or a contract which says we can terminate without compensation if we get relegated. I don''t think that there is anything wrong with paying somebody £30k a week whilst the budget allows it, but we have to make sure that if relegation happens it is with a squad which can be sustained for at least the first two years whilst on parachute payments.

[/quote]

Offer this and you won''t get the player though - that is the crux of the problem for all football teams. Clubs don''t choose to give players massive salaries or long contracts; they have no choice due to the knowledge that if you don''t do it another club will and you will end up with a weaker team.

For Norwich to get a player like Hitzlsperger (whom I doubt we are in talks with) we would have to offer larger wages than other teams and offer a long contract. From the players point of view we look very likely to go down and why would he want successive relegation on his CV unless he was being rewarded handsomely for it.

[quote user="swindoncanary"]Ben, like everyone else who spots a player of renown. please go up and have a chat with him, it would sound a lot better if you''d said ''I talked to Hitzlsperger in the City'' maybe you could have even asked the man what he was doing in Norwich. 
[/quote]
I wish i did now! Oh well, guess we will have to wait and see. Papers are talking about him going back to villa today. Again, considering he''s in the city it is just odd.

To be fair; someone probably got called a lying bugger during WWII in the New Inn at Roughton when he told other locals ''I''ve just seen Albert Einstein walking over the heath.''

And what about that poor old Scottish baggage handler who thought he saw Elvis?

I said this may be a good shout towards the end of last season. German connections, a ''Lambert'' player (infact very similar to how Lambert was as a player), high work rate etc. Shone towards the end of the season from a very poor team.

Strongly linked with going back to Villa though, and I seriously doubt we''d want to pay his wages, or him want to take a pay cut.

I''d be delighted if we were to sign him, but I just can''t see it happening. Never know though, seems like he loves football and may be willing to take a paycut, if he likes the way Lambert thinks, and plays. Aston Villa are in a bit of turmoil which may lead him somewhere else.

This would certainly be the marquee signing that some people are clamouring for but I suspect it''s more than unlikely.

Excellent player, would he be the best ever to pull on the yellow and green? I don''t recall us ever having a German international captain before!

Would love for this to be true and it would make sense - young, German links, ambitious and perhaps the ''bigger signing'' that many have predicted?

However, didn''t I read somewhere that Lambert isn''t interested in foreign players this window? Perhaps the brummie accent has encouraged PL to see past this!

[quote user="ben17ncfc"][quote user="swindoncanary"]Ben, like everyone else who spots a player of renown. please go up and have a chat with him, it would sound a lot better if you''d said ''I talked to Hitzlsperger in the City'' maybe you could have even asked the man what he was doing in Norwich. 
[/quote]
I wish i did now! Oh well, guess we will have to wait and see. Papers are talking about him going back to villa today. Again, considering he''s in the city it is just odd.[/quote]

Ben why didn''t you take a picture on your mobile?!

Starstruck?!