Sign in to follow this  
Lets be aving you!

New signings' positions

Is anyone else unsure in which positions some of the new signings will play (Morison and Vaughan aside)?

I ask this because I''ve just seen an EDP interview with Bradley Johnson in which he says about Paul Lambert "I’m sure he can teach me a lot of things in the position I play, because he played it himself."

This suggests to me he is earmarked for the defensive central midfielder role (although I know that he has played left-winger and left-back in the past). Does everyone else reckon that''s where he will or should play?

What about De Laet? I see he''s played CB and full back. He seemed to be playing RB for Portsmouth, though he''s apparently naturally left-footed.

I''ve also seen Bennett only cited as a right-winger, but remember reading around the time of his signing that his favourite position is playing in the hole (ooh err), and that he has even played RB for Brighton.

Just as an aside, with this abundance of midfielders, I wonder whether Surman will end up covering for Wessi in the hole, where Surman''s lack of speed might be less of an issue.

Even Pilkington is listed as a naturally right-footed winger, but is essentially ambipidal and so could play left wing. And his Wikipedia entry lists him as a not just winger but also as a striker.

Just curious what other people''s views are on where these new signings are likely to fit in.

De Laet is a left back or left sided centre half who can also fill in at right back or left midfield if needed.

Morison and Vaughan are strikers, plain and simple.

Bennett and Pilkington are both utility forwards in the style of Ashley Young, Christiano Ronaldo etc who can play effectively in any attacking role.

Johnson is a central midfielder. Think Andrew Crofts but left-footed.

The likelihood is that whilst we will play the diamond this season we will also use other systems with the most likely being a 4-2-3-1 with Fox and either Crofts or Johnson protecting the defence and allowing three players to break behind Grant Holt. You can pin one of those down as Wes with the other two being the wider roles. Lambert will then use either attacking midfielders like Bennett, Surman and Pilkington or strikers like Jackson and Vaughan to play in these roles, with him using different options dependant on the opposition.

Totally agree with the post above I think we will end up playing 4-4-2(Diamond as well) at home and 4-2-3-1

We can speculate about al this, and I suspect that we may add different formations to our repertoire, and /or change according to the match situation.

Two of the purposes of "doubling up" however must surely be to provide competition for places and cover for injury/suspension - Surman was out for most of the first part of the season, for instance.

I know more teams are now playing the diamond but they are still in the minority and not many play it well. It is a difficult formation to play well and difficult to defend when played well. If that makes sense. I think we play it well for the most part "so why try to mend something that ain''t broken." The players are familiar with the diamond too so I think we will start off playing the diamond (especially at home) and see how it goes. Knowing Paul Lambert he will soon access it''s efficiency and change to a different formation if and when required.

I thought the ''cracked diamond'' was supposed to have been found out halfway through the League One season...

In seriousness, the 4-2-3-1 that people have been suggesting seems to have the right balance of defensive cover and attacking potential; it also seems to make good use of all those attacking midfielders we have.

I think some people get hung up on the fact that because we have a surplus of strikers including two new ones, that means we must play with at least two up front but the 4-2-3-1 option allows for one of the usual strikers to simply play a bit deeper. It may even be that Holty takes the deeper role and a striker with speed such as Jackson takes the role on the defenders shoulder. This is especially effective if you have a team that plays a high line because if Holty can flick a header on then Jackson could be away.

I feel the ''diamond'' City play is more fluid than many people think. It can easily switch into a 4-2-3-1 by Crofts dropping back to help Fox and one of the strikers dropping deeper. Similarly, it can become more attacking as a 4-4-2 either by MF players spreading wider or FBs playing as wing-backs to widen play. IMO, this is the flexibility PL is looking for and the reason he is developing so many options.

[quote user="Yelloow Since 72"]I feel the ''diamond'' City play is more fluid than many people think. It can easily switch into a 4-2-3-1 by Crofts dropping back to help Fox and one of the strikers dropping deeper. Similarly, it can become more attacking as a 4-4-2 either by MF players spreading wider or FBs playing as wing-backs to widen play. IMO, this is the flexibility PL is looking for and the reason he is developing so many options.[/quote]

Totally agree.

[quote user="Yelloow Since 72"]I feel the ''diamond'' City play is more fluid than many people think. It can easily switch into a 4-2-3-1 by Crofts dropping back to help Fox and one of the strikers dropping deeper. Similarly, it can become more attacking as a 4-4-2 either by MF players spreading wider or FBs playing as wing-backs to widen play. IMO, this is the flexibility PL is looking for and the reason he is developing so many options.[/quote]

Firstly I''d like to commend the OP on the use of the word "ambipidal" !!!

Secondly, in my opinion the diamond only works, only can only work if Hoolahan is available. If he isn''t i.e Swansea and Watford away last season, theres an argument for not playing it at all as we simply don''t hjave anyone else that can work this effectively. In that situation , would be better off going 442 (with Bennett,Pilkington/Surman on either wing) rather than force the issue with a square peg in a round hole?

"Firstly I''d like to commend the OP on the use of the word "ambipidal" "

Thanks, GJL, shame I got the spelling wrong, though!

Like you, I wonder whether we''ll see less systematic use of the diamond this season, especially if Hoolahan gets injured.

Sounds like Bradley Johnson is indeed going to be played as a defensive midfielder. Presumably, this will leave a CB and goalkeeper as the most likely signings still to be made.

In terms of a Hoolahan replacement if one were needed it might be that Pilkington or Bennett could fill the role. Certainly there wasn''t anyone from last seasons squad who was up to it but both of these seem to have the tactical and technical flexibility. Having seen the Bennett clips on You Tube, having someone playing just behind the strikers who can hammer the ball as soon as he gets a glimpse of the target might be a different, yet effective approach to the position. We know he can set up chances as well.