Sign in to follow this  
Salopian

Lambert Targets

We have heard it many times - PL wants hungry young players, from the lower divisions.

Young because they can develop talent, and serve us well even if they move away after one contract. Hungry because in a team of no stars success will only come if they all give it their utmost.

There is another reason for this. If you have money you can afford to spend £20 million plus perhaps £10 million in wages over a four year contract for a player. We can''t finance this. Players towards the end of their careers may come more cheaply, but their wage hopes will be high. We don''t want other teams cast-offs, even if they have have had a brilliant past, especially if they want to coast to retirement and behave like prima donnas.

We don''t have the finance to assemble a team of players with proven premiership ability, and such players will come to CR only if the money is high enough. We can''t compete.

Our only way is to find bargains year by year and to spot young players with potential. They want to come to the premiership, and intially for lower than average wages, and we can answer their ambition, at least until the big money move elsewhere.

I also think that each of our signings have been made with a worst possible scenario taken into account. Survive or not, I see the majority of this summer''s signings being with us next season.

If anyone did not know the thinking behind PL''s signings then they must have been asleep for the last couple of seasons.

He has bought good players that potentially could be great players, on a budget! I personally am a lot more happy this time entering the premiership than the last time, I applaud you Mr Lambert.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]The players coming in might suggest that we''re onto the "yo-yo" year of the 7 year plan, perhaps ?
[/quote]

My thoughts exactly Blah. The idea being to sign players that might keep us up but who would also be able to help us to promotion again should the worst happen. It has to be the correct strategy in my eyes too. It gets us back onto a secure financial footing and at the same time gives us a shot at another £40m+ if we manage to survive. If we do stay up, which I think we will, I expect we can expect to see more expensive signings coming in each year to make us an established Premiership team.

Yeah I think it''s a mixture things but we shouldn''t forget the 7 year plan, a years yo-yoing is half expected.

Young, lower league British players are more likely to hang around if we get relegated and won''t cost too much in wages. Worst case scenario we have an incredibly strong team for the Championship in 12/13, best case we have bought a relatively cheap team that can compete in the Premiership, we''ll be able to make a tidy profit selling on a few of them and then use that money to strengthen and establish ourselves long term in the Premiership.

[quote user="Canaries Utd"]He has bought good players that potentially could be great players, on a budget! I personally am a lot more happy this time entering the premiership than the last time, I applaud you Mr Lambert.[/quote]Yep totally agree with that, last time we had Donkey up front, what a disaster.

And Neil Doomcaster running the show too at that level!

We brought in ageing has-been players like Simon Charlton, Graham Stuart and Thomas Helveg.

Wasted money on Mattias Jonson and as you mentioned, we had Doherty leading the line to start off that Prem season.

We made one decent signing that season in Dean Ashton, and by that time it was too late! Youseff Safri can make a slight claim to being a success but in general the Signings Worthy made that season were poor and we didn''t pay out a great deal either.

Then throw in the fact we had Parachute payments and you would have thought we would have been an instant bet to come back up again. But for what ever reason the money didn''t really materialise back in Division One and Worthy brought in players such as Andy Hughes and Dickson Etuhu. Ashton went and we then used that money to sign Earnshaw but Worthy was never really given a decent war-chest to try and keep us up or take us back up. So where did all the money go from that season in the Prem!? I''m just glad we have McNally and a far more methodical looking board room now than back then. Neil Doncaster has a lot to answer for in my book.

I''m loving this new Norwich City way of thinking with our current manager and board room! It''s a winning and positive attitude all round now! Norwich City under Paul Lambert and David MacNally will achieve their goals.