Sign in to follow this  
Norwich  R  Us

Would you take a 'pay as you play' punt on Hargreaves?

Na not for me, seems a bit of risky business with this chap and the only risky business I like involves Rebecca de Mornay.

Even on a pay-per-play deal, Hargreaves would cost an absolute bomb right now.

However, if he''s not got a club by late August, and is able to realise that he has a straight choice between a second chance in the game (with no clubs taking him on) on infinitely lower wages, or having to retire, he may be worth a go.

We''d probably only get a dozen or so games from him at the absolute maximum, but he could be a good person to have around the place if the money is right.

Basically, I''m undecided. For now, definitely not. In a month and a half, he could be a decent acquisition if and only if he shows the right attitude.

To be honest I think bigger teams than us would sign Hargreaves if it were to be on a ''pay as you play'' deal.

This player has been one of the best England Internationals we have had in the last ten years and was voted England''s player of the year for 2006. But that was 5 years ago and he has been plagued by injury ever since.

If, at the age of 30, he still has the passion for the game and wants to prove his fitness, and if his fitness has now improved enough for him to play at the top level, then some club could pick up an absolute bargain.

On the other hand there are an awful lot of ''ifs'' in there.

But I would not dismiss him out of hand.

I think we have enough mid-fielders now. Other areas need attention eg: goalkeeper, central defender and striker.

I state the latter because I can see neither Jackson nor Martin doing much against Premiership defences, unfortunatley. They do deserve a chance to prove this view wrong, however.

Do play as you play deals actually exist? Theyre often suggested for plays with long term injury problems but I can''t remember any actual examples of them. (I''m sure someone will correct me shortly).

Also I''d imagine that if they do happen the wage per game for a high profile player like Hargreaves would be very very high.

What would probably make sense for him, if he has any interest in it, is to become a player coach somewhere. That way he can get an early start in a new career, if he stays fit great, you have a really good player, whilst if he gets injured you wouldn''t be paying for him to just sit around.

"Do play as you play deals actually exist?2

No. They are the delusion of the terminally dim, who have this idiotic belief that a player will allow his registration to be held by a club with NO guarantee of wages or money at all.

Mahogony...

Michael Owen is on a pay-as-you-play deal at Manchester United both this year and last year.

Paul McVeigh was also on the same deal when Bryan Gunn brought him back in the squad.

I would take the gamble, but sadly I don''t think we could afford his wages (we''d have to play him once a month...) and secondly I doubt he''d come here with no security for his future.

[quote user="Bovril"]Mahogony... Michael Owen is on a pay-as-you-play deal at Manchester United both this year and last year. Paul McVeigh was also on the same deal when Bryan Gunn brought him back in the squad.[/quote]

Yes and no "Pay as you Play". In most cases the structure is the player will still pick up a weekly salary as per normal, but will have a significant apperance bonus written into the deal. So if the player is injured and unable to play for a couple of months he will still earn a salary from the club, just a greatly reduced one from if he was playing every week.

The main dangers with a Pay as Play deal is if the player is fit and plays every week they generally cost a lot more than a normal contract, and as the final total isn''t known it is hard to buget for. Also, with most Pay as Play deals there will be a clause inserted that the player will be allowed to sign a permanent deal with another club at any point of the contract, meaning a lack of security for the club.

I''m pretty sure Hargreaves will be able to land a one or two year deal with a club somewhere. I wouldn''t be surprised if he ends up with Sven at Leicester.

[quote user="AJ Wizard"]I would take the gamble, but sadly I don''t think we could afford his wages (we''d have to play him once a month...) and secondly I doubt he''d come here with no security for his future.[/quote]

I would take the gamble too but I''m not the manager, what Owen Hargreaves has to think about is, Can He afford to be choosey, if a club is prepared to take a risk then he should  bite the bullet and take the offer, even if it means a pay packet of £15.000, Do well and get on with rebuilding his career.

I think we should look at him if he is still unattached come August.

I think he would be worth it, difficult to judge how much his wages would be, but I think we could get them pretty low, he will want to play Premier League football and that could well give us a chance.

I think he is a very good pro and is hungry to succeed. I think it''s worth a go providing his wages are not crazy

Who knows when the video was made. Is it a series of edited highlights shot months apart?

Germany connections with Lambert a possibility but he would be a use of 25 man squad thing as he hasn''t come through academy in this country wouldn''t he?

[quote user="First Jedi"]Hardgreaves was the most overrated liability of a player, when he was fit.[/quote]

......... and so said all the people who voted for him in 2006 when he won both England Player of the Year, and England Player of the World Cup in official FA polls, becoming the first to win both in the same year.

You certainly know your footballers.

I think comments regarding Hargreaves as an option later may be good but if a package could be lined up I think he would be a very handy player for us.

Yes he would be a marquee signing with the possibility of being a crock. But even if his injury did put him out and he played very little his involvement in training and in and around the camp would be spot on and of great benefit to the players.

Sometimes players who are not on the field with that experience are as valuable as those on the pitch. Is it enough to say he is worth a punt I don''t know. But I certainly can see if any club acquires him his work ethic etc. will make him valuable at any training ground. I do think we need a little bit of that at our club, enthusiasm, hunger etc. is good but a I do think his pedigree and knowing a professional manner elsewhere woudl be valuable in the locker room.

Also if he did play a fair bit this season he could be an amazing signing.

"I would give him a try on a pay as you play basis. There''s nothing to lose with that arrangement."

The weekly wage over a season (at minimmum), the signing on fee, the agents few - something I doubt would not cost less that a million and a half

Add the using of one of the 25 squad places for somebody who might be crocked again and will be keeping out a decent player out .

A large sum of money with no guarantee of him being fit/available

The disruption of the present ''squad ethos''

No, thats NOT MUCH to lose

No, that''s not much to lose ............

" is pay as you play "

Perhaps you could expalin to us all what this mysterious "pay as you play " is.

Which rather blows a hole in the nonsense about it costing nothing

So perhaps we can now be told if there are signing on fees, agents fees