Sign in to follow this  
Yorkshire  Canary

Is that the end of business now until after the season starts?

Just wondered 6 new faces is that it? very pleased with what we have got in and we could not complain if that was it for now. still a feeling we need cover/competition at goalkeeper level and centre half

I wouldn''t have thought that was it just yet. PL mentioned that he wanted 7 signings so there is still room for more. I think you are right in saying about another GK..Think we need a bit more experienced cover. I also think we need another defender. After seeing De Laet a few times I am unsure as to whether he would be good enough but only time will tell...

I think we''ll sign 3 more players (either 2 permanent and a loan, or 3 permanent), and possibly even a fourth.

What we have done however, is get most of our business done early, so we can concentrate on the ''final touches''. Meanwhile, the likes of QPR will be desperately starting from scratch and won''t have time to gel any players they do sign.

Doubt it.

Lambert will bring in at least 1 more face. Wouldn''t be suprised to see a couple addtions slightly later in the window too.

I''m encouraged by the signing of de Laet.

If only because when he signed for us, I asked my Pompey mad friend what he thought of him, his immediate reaction was disappointment as he''d hoped they''d get him again this season, especially with some money to spend.

Said he played along the back line and was aware, passed to feet and rarely beaten. He isn''t a big bruising bastard of a centre back, but, if he plays there and alongside Leon, he won''t need to be, as Leon has plenty of physicality to spare!

Do think he''ll play left sided centre back for us, I even think, with all this call for Premiership nous, Drury might even get a chance as, after all, he does have that and he didn''t disgrace himself last time around. But we''ll see, its all guesswork in that department-what isn''t, hopefully, up for debate is whether or not RdL is up to it, and up for it-he comes recommended by someone who is usually as cynical as they come!

I can''t se more than one further signing - I hope someone who can play at RB if Martin is injured or struggling. In fact we were told "6 or 7", so Pilkington may be the last this summer, barring injury.

PL has often said that he wants everything settled early, to make the most of preparation time before the season begins. In fact this year with six (or seven) excellent signings he has a big task to decide on combinations, and try different formations, and to integrate them in the squad.

The luxury of two more excellent strikers and three in the midfield this year makes his task even more difficult, when all of them have an excellent chance to make his team and squad.

[quote user="Lambo"]Doubt it.

Lambert will bring in at least 1 more face. Wouldn''t be suprised to see a couple addtions slightly later in the window too.[/quote]I would imagine that PL''s priority will now be to get some players off the wage bill before bringing in more new faces. If we can trim half a dozen names from our squad, that will free up more wages to go after our desired targets. Either way, I expect at least one more defender and a goalkeeper before the season starts.

I don''t think it really matters how many Lambert said they were going to get in, as this will keep changing depending on which targets they can get and how much they cost. If Lambert is sensible (which we all know he is) he''ll keep some money back for January as well as for the rest of this window - transfers elsewhere will have a large impact on who is available and for how much. Look at Sunderland for example, about to bring in Brown and O''Shea, this will mean other players will be moved on, these kind of things will keep happening until the end of August and it would be a shame if a potential bargain was missed out on by spending all the cash in June/July.