Sign in to follow this  
Morisons Prozac

Second team cup run

Assuming this is our starting 11:                           RuddyR Martin    Barnett    Whitbread    Tierney                            Fox         Crofts                      Bennett                        Hoolahan               Holt            MorisonWe could build a second 11 for cups that could look like this without burning out our key players:                         RuddyFrancomb    Ward    De Laet    Drury/SmithPilkington    Smith    Johnson    Surman              Jackson     VaughanBoth sides are quite strong in my opinion and could be an opportunity to utilise our core squad to rotate and strengthen our starting 11.

I would say two things. Firstly that Bennett is a winger and not really suited to playing on the left hand corner of the diamond. If we were to play that system I would expect one of Surman or Johnson to get the nod. I would also add that next season it really will be a squad game where a lot of players are equally important to the team. So the idea of their being a 2nd XI may not be true. The diamond could work in some instances but in other cases we might need to throw the ball wide in which case Bennett and Pilkington will have a big say in a 4-4-2 system. Sometimes keeping the ball and counter attacking may be the order of the day with all three of Bennett, Hoolahan and Pilkington being utilised in a 4-2-3-1 system.

[quote user="Jacko"]

I would say two things. Firstly that Bennett is a winger and not really suited to playing on the left hand corner of the diamond. If we were to play that system I would expect one of Surman or Johnson to get the nod. I would also add that next season it really will be a squad game where a lot of players are equally important to the team. So the idea of their being a 2nd XI may not be true. The diamond could work in some instances but in other cases we might need to throw the ball wide in which case Bennett and Pilkington will have a big say in a 4-4-2 system. Sometimes keeping the ball and counter attacking may be the order of the day with all three of Bennett, Hoolahan and Pilkington being utilised in a 4-2-3-1 system.

[/quote]I didn''t mean have two separate teams but just pointing out we have enough players to construct two solid starting 11s.

[quote user="Canary23"]Seems a strong team for the Norfolk Senior Cup!!![/quote]

I presume that we have pulled out of that this season?

The point about squad depth is a good one with the new signings. While many of them may not instantly command a place in the first XI they all bring genuine options and depth. If Holt picked up an injury like he did at Watford this season, while you would miss him, Morison is a fantastic replacement. Last season you were potentially left with Martin (not his natural game) to lead the line or Wilbraham (not good enough). It''s been a very positive window in which we seem to be much stronger while QPR and Swansea seem to have been weakened so far.

[quote user="Jacko"]

The point about squad depth is a good one with the new signings. While many of them may not instantly command a place in the first XI they all bring genuine options and depth. If Holt picked up an injury like he did at Watford this season, while you would miss him, Morison is a fantastic replacement. Last season you were potentially left with Martin (not his natural game) to lead the line or Wilbraham (not good enough). It''s been a very positive window in which we seem to be much stronger while QPR and Swansea seem to have been weakened so far.

[/quote]

Well let us hope that QPR and Swansea continue to fart-arse around getting players in but there is still 50 odd days left for them.

I agree long may it continue. Graham will be a decent signing but Swansea have lost De Vries and Pratley who were 2 high calibre players in my book. So they need to pull 2 good pieces of business out of the bag just to be back to level they were. If this feud between Warnock and the board at QPR continues, are they genuinely going to back him and give him money? Lets hope not.

[quote user="Jacko"]I agree long may it continue. Graham will be a decent signing but Swansea have lost De Vries and Pratley who were 2 high calibre players in my book. So they need to pull 2 good pieces of business out of the bag just to be back to level they were. If this feud between Warnock and the board at QPR continues, are they genuinely going to back him and give him money? Lets hope not.[/quote]And Borini.