Sign in to follow this  
Wishbone

Croft vs Pilkington

Not saying Croft is as good as Pilkington, by any stretch of the imagination. Just interesting they were in the same huddersfield squad last season. Croft didn''t get a look in from memory!

People used to say Rodent was a good judge of players...not in this case. More proof that Lambert (or his scouts) have an eye for raw gem...or hopefully anyway!

Lee Croft was bought by Worthington, not Roeder. Roeder actually was the one who forced him into shape and did him a favour.

I saw an interesting quote from Lee Clark about Croft last season - can''t remember it word for word but was basically "I worked with Lee Croft at Norwich and he was one of the better players - unfortunately he hasn''t reached those levels while here at Huddersfield". This was basically said just before Croft was sent back to Derby to sit in their reserves.

It''s amazing how quickly a player can fall down the levels - Simon Whaley is a perfect example of that.

I didnt make the point very well. Roeder always bought players from ''bigger'' teams or the higher league at a time when Croft was deemed a standout player for us.

If Roeder had a decent knowledge of the lower leagues, we could have got better players than the likes of Koroma or Omozusi...I just found it interesting that Croft couldnt get into a league 1 side and was once our player of the season!

There''s no contest, Pilkington is already a better player than Lee Croft will ever be.

[quote user="Lambo"]There''s no contest, Pilkington is already a better player than Lee Croft will ever be.[/quote]

Spends far too much time on Corrie playing that Tyrone Dobbs

[quote user="Webbo118"]

[quote user="Lambo"]There''s no contest, Pilkington is already a better player than Lee Croft will ever be.[/quote]

Spends far too much time on Corrie playing that Tyrone Dobbs

[/quote]Quality, he''s a ringer for him, him and Buzz Lightyear, no wonder he was so muck, fancied himself for a BAFTA or and Oscar, football was just a stepping stone for his true calling.

I really do not think that you can compare the two. They are miles apart. Fom what I have seen of Croft and read about Pilkington, I suspect that the latter is a much, much better player.

Croft was a trier of average ability and a winger who had the repuatation for not being able to cross a ball. He had a shot on him, for sure, but we rarely saw it. His finest moment was against the old enemy, apart from that he was an average player who briefly shone in a poor side.

Croft was picked up by Worthy from Everton reserves and he cost £600, 000.

Pilkington, at C. £3m would appear to be a terrific prospect with bags of effort, skill, potential and a shot on him that he exhibits regularly.

If Pilkington realises this potential and is a hit at Carrow Road, then he will most certainly go on to better things. The big boys will be interested, with megabucks in hand. We know that, as it has always been that way at Carrow Road.

By comparison, Croft went downhill when he left us. 

We have come a long way since those nightmarish dark days from Worthy''s final season to Gunn. The "comparison" of Croft and Pilkington illustrates just how far. 

[quote user="Captain Fantastic"]Croft was picked up from Man City, not Everton.[/quote]

Yes, true, thanks.  My memory lapses at times.

Thats probably because Croft is a winger who cannot cross, has no pace, no skills, poor shooting ability. The only thing he used to give us was a bit of enthusiasm. Never rated him.

Pilkington on the other hand looks comfortable on both feet and from what I have seen he can really strike the ball!

Pilkington hasn''t even put on the yellow shirt yet and he''s already matched the number of decent crosses as Croft put in during his time with us.

Like George W Bush being re-elected, Croft winning POTS will forever make people of the future look back and ask ''for the love of God, why?!''

This says an awful lot about many things.

''Croft began his career at Manchester City, who he joined as a twelve year old after scout Eric Mullenden spotted him playing for junior team Garswood United. He was a talented youth player, representing England at every level up to under-20, including captaining England under-18s. Accumulating more than 40 caps in total, he is the most capped England youth player of all-time.''

[:S]

OTBC