Sign in to follow this  
PhatCanary

Canaries Player

I was pondering getting Canaries player for the new season,is it worth the £35 12 month subscription fee though? Any thoughts from the folks who have it would be appreciated.

It depends on your circumstances. For me, I''m a season ticket holder but am at University in Nottingham so cannot get Radio Norfolk for commentary, so Canaries Player for me is essential to listen to away games and is well worth the money. If you can gain access to commentary without it, then I''d say the main the plus points is the extended highlights but I wouldn''t pay the fee just for player interviews though as they go into text from anyway.

it all depends on how many matches you can attend in person. if it is only a handfull and you are a diehard supporter then it works out at about a pound a match (without cup games) which to my mind is money well spent, plus you get video highlights of all matches. go for it.

I agree with the previous posters. I''m at uni and can''t make games so rely on Canaries Player for radio commentary. For that it''s worth it, if you''re in Norfolk or regularly attending games then I''d say it isn''t

sorry, didn''t check your location. you can listen to all commentaries on radio norfolk, unlike me (and alysha) so may not be such a good deal as it is the same commentary.

If I lived somewhere with Radio Norfolk then I don''t think I''d subscribe, especially as MotD will show a good 5 minutes of all match next season on a Saturday night.

For me in Canada, Canaries world is an essential service due to the commentary alone, which makes it worth 35 quid before you even get to the interviews or highlights.

However it is not without it''s faults. The commentary can sometimes be a bit choppy or cut in and out during a match (this is rare but does happen) and the log in process for me is also the most stupid thing ever. It remembers my credentials and keeps me logged in, however whenever i go to watch a new video and press play it will not play till I have signed out of canaries player, clicked player on the video and prompts me to re-enter my credentials.

Another problem is it does not play nice with any mobile phone''s that do not support flash, so you have to be quite creative to get it working on any non flash supported devices.

So like all the other posters have said above, you will have to weigh up the pros and cons, if you are within radio norfolk listening distance or attend most games, it''s probably not worth it what with the sky coverage we will receive this season,but if you are an expat like me, it''s worth every penny.

A more underhanded person than myself might say if you use Canaries World to to listen to commentary as your main purpose then as every game next year will be available on a streaming site to watch for free it might not provide value for money. Although there is the issue of unreliability with the streaming sites (not that I would know of course). As for highlights then a brief snippet will be avaliable on the iPlayer via MOTD2 and I believe Virgin had the highlights available online as well.

I can''t see Canaries World being worth it if you can get Radio Norfolk as the interviews and "exclusive" content is generally available on other internet sites a few hours after making into on the Norwich City website. Although Canaries World does make life a little less of a hassle, with hightlights, interviews and commentary all in one place a fairly reliable - you can get the same content without it, but just have to search around a little more.

My problem with Canary Player is that it wont work on a top of the range Samsung Android phone (I take it Android in general). Tried several browsers etc?! Now we are premier league shouldn''t there be a Canary Player Android App.Has anyone ever got the commentary working on their phone??

You''ll be able to see the goals, and occasionally more play on Match of the Day, of course, but for £35 you''ll get reasonably long highlights, as well as interviews with players and PL, and other things.

I have continued to subscribe.

[quote user="mississauga_canary"]For me in Canada, Canaries world is an essential service due to the commentary alone, which makes it worth 35 quid before you even get to the interviews or highlights.

However it is not without it''s faults. The commentary can sometimes be a bit choppy or cut in and out during a match (this is rare but does happen) and the log in process for me is also the most stupid thing ever. It remembers my credentials and keeps me logged in, however whenever i go to watch a new video and press play it will not play till I have signed out of canaries player, clicked player on the video and prompts me to re-enter my credentials.

Another problem is it does not play nice with any mobile phone''s that do not support flash, so you have to be quite creative to get it working on any non flash supported devices.

So like all the other posters have said above, you will have to weigh up the pros and cons, if you are within radio norfolk listening distance or attend most games, it''s probably not worth it what with the sky coverage we will receive this season,but if you are an expat like me, it''s worth every penny.[/quote]I could not agree more, M_C!!!Its a necessity for us living abroad.  Almost as important as oxygen.  But the service has some serious problems and I have the exact same things happen to me that M_C does.Better than nothing, though....for sure.  Those extended highlights from some of last year''s matches were an absolute god-send.

If you live outside the country or beyond the range of Radio Norfolk it is well worth it

Errrrrr...... if u live outside of Norfolk why don;t u just go to the Radio Norfolk website and listen live on there?

Its free and saves u £35!!

[quote user="Mervmeister"]Errrrrr...... if u live outside of Norfolk why don;t u just go to the Radio Norfolk website and listen live on there?

Its free and saves u £35!![/quote]

Because mervmeister - its blocked during games. you get a note saying something along the lines of "listen live unavailable due to licensing".

I''m actually thinking of getting rid of it when my sub is up in September now we''re in the Prem. Now I have Sky Sports I''ll be able to watch a lot of our games plus most will be streamed on the net if you know where to look.

I''ve not looked in a while (several years!) but I think most Prem teams are not part of the stupid website deal the football league are in so often streamed their own free to listen commentary. But like I''ve said I''ve not looked for several years so this may no longer be the case.

[quote user="mississauga_canary"]

Another problem is it does not play nice with any mobile phone''s that do not support flash, so you have to be quite creative to get it working on any non flash supported devices. [/quote]Go on, share your creativity with us here - I have a Windows 7 phone.Thanks in advance.

[quote user="shefcanary"][quote user="mississauga_canary"]

Another problem is it does not play nice with any mobile phone''s that do not support flash, so you have to be quite creative to get it working on any non flash supported devices. [/quote]Go on, share your creativity with us here - I have a Windows 7 phone.Thanks in advance.[/quote]

Step 1) Make sure you have a pair of speakers and a microphone on your PC. Create a Skype account and install it on your PC and set it to accept calls automatically. Create another Skype account, this will come in later.

Step 2) Set up an RDP or VNC connection where you can access your PC remotely using your phone, once connected log into Canaries World and start the commentary.

Step 3) Install Skype on your phone and use the credentials you used for the second account you created. Call the account that you set up on your PC that automatically receives calls and voila!

It''s kind of complicated and a pain in the backside, but until the company that runs "player" gets in the 21st Century and release an app or makes it HTML5 friendly it is really the only way possible. I have emailed "player" every pre season for the past 4 years now requesting this feature, maybe if more people demand it they will eventually do something.

It is not broadcast on Radio Norfolk Web site do to contractable arrangements. The programme prior to the match is but not the commentary.

If you do not believe me just try it

I wonder if they could screen the games live online using the closed link they show in the ground in the bars etc., charging an additional £10/whatever.  Would obviously cost lots to set up but if every week is a sellout then this could add significant revenue over a season.

[quote user="mississauga_canary"][quote user="shefcanary"][quote user="mississauga_canary"]

Another problem is it does not play nice with any mobile phone''s that do not support flash, so you have to be quite creative to get it working on any non flash supported devices. [/quote]Go on, share your creativity with us here - I have a Windows 7 phone.Thanks in advance.[/quote]

Step 1) Make sure you have a pair of speakers and a microphone on your PC. Create a Skype account and install it on your PC and set it to accept calls automatically. Create another Skype account, this will come in later.

Step 2) Set up an RDP or VNC connection where you can access your PC remotely using your phone, once connected log into Canaries World and start the commentary.

Step 3) Install Skype on your phone and use the credentials you used for the second account you created. Call the account that you set up on your PC that automatically receives calls and voila!

It''s kind of complicated and a pain in the backside, but until the company that runs "player" gets in the 21st Century and release an app or makes it HTML5 friendly it is really the only way possible. I have emailed "player" every pre season for the past 4 years now requesting this feature, maybe if more people demand it they will eventually do something.[/quote]Er thanks Missisuaga - might be easier just to call someone in Carra Rudd and ask them to skype me back, but thanks anyway.  I agree though that Canary Player needs to recognise that there is a heavy demand for commentary on mobiles nowadays and the Flash interface is a real no goer!  Can we continue the campaign here to get Flash off the Canary Player - or at least to have an app for all smart phones instead - given the rest of this thread may be one way of preserving revenue for the club.  That is a seasonal app for your mobile.    Otherwise how else will we see loads of blokes all with headphones on in Norwich City centre all scream "Yes, F*cking get in!" at the same time as Holty gets one at Old Trafford in the 93rd minute!Or say no to going shopping with the missus and use MyP2P to get a live stream instead!