Sign in to follow this  
colneycanary

How much is Cody worth?

I would just like to see people''s opinions on how much Cody is worth? It''s no secret that Peterborough are trying to buy him and have been moaning about the supposed 550k asking price and trying to get us to lower the price.

I personally wouldn''t sell him. I would offer him a new contract and then let him go out on loan again, but not to Peterborough under any circumstances how they have behaved. If we did sell him, I think at least 750k at a minimum plus add ons.

[quote user="Liam"]swap for Joe Lewis?[/quote]

No thanks!

I think he could score quite a few in the Championship so for his potential I would say around 500k.

Around £500K seems about right given he''s in the last year of his contract. For the Posh I''d apply a Fry Factor escalator of 200% .

he''s worth whatever any club will pay for him

no more

I''ll let him go for around 500k with a sell on clause

I can see us keeping him though.

I agree with Crafty - £500k seems about right, with the usual add-ons, but for Posh it would be more. We could do with losing a couple from our squad, but he could yet be an asset in the coming season and there''s no particular pressure on us to sell, so let them bleat all they want; they do have their CMS cash to spend, after all.

Extend his contract, loan him to championship club for the season, hopefully score 15+ goals, next season he''s worth £1.5-2million. Thats the way i''d do it

[quote user="UEA Canary"]Extend his contract, loan him to championship club for the season, hopefully score 15+ goals, next season he''s worth £1.5-2million. Thats the way i''d do it[/quote]I suppose that is what we would do in an ideal world, but would Cody sign an extended contract, just to be loaned out again? Personally, I wouldn''t (ignoring the fact I''m a Norwich fan of course).

[quote user="UEA Canary"]Extend his contract, loan him to championship club for the season, hopefully score 15+ goals, next season he''s worth £1.5-2million. Thats the way i''d do it[/quote]

Agree, but not to a Championship club - cant imagine there would be much interest. If he can bag 20+ at League one then he will have earnt the right to play in the Championship. A year at a club like Bury would be ideal. They have a terrific young manger in Richie Barker.

[quote user="colneycanary"]I would just like to see people''s opinions on how much Cody is worth? It''s no secret that Peterborough are trying to buy him and have been moaning about the supposed 550k asking price and trying to get us to lower the price.

I personally wouldn''t sell him. I would offer him a new contract and then let him go out on loan again, but not to Peterborough under any circumstances how they have behaved. If we did sell him, I think at least 750k at a minimum plus add ons.[/quote]I guess the answer is "£1 more than Defoe."

[quote user="spencer 1970"]I''d say we need Paul Moy to give us his fair and unbiased verdict on how much Cody is worth? Prob around 15 million?[/quote]

Once Smudger then gives his valuation i think it will end up at a tribunal.[;)]

I seriously doubt that Cody would sign a new deal now - unless he was given firm assurances about his chances of playing regular football at Norwich (which isn''t going to happen). He will know that he is in a position of strength at the moment and can walk for nothing in a years time, meaning that the club will be under pressure to get what they can for him now.

I can''t see the lad staying really, he is potentially behind 6 other strikers at the moment (although whether he should be 7th choice or not is another matter!).

Sell for 400K+ with good add-ons and hope he can do well for himself. Personally I would like to see him played ahead of Wilbraham and Martin but even then he has Holt, Jackson, Morison and Vaughan in front of him. It''s just unfortunate for him really in that sense.

Lets fsce it. Mcnally clearly has a dislike for how p''boro do business so any mention of us turning down £550k was purely and simply because it was P''Boro.Mcnally now knows Cody Mac''s market value is atleast £550k so I suspect he''ll be keen to get a little more say £600k and then be happy to do a deal with a decent club that acts with integrity and professionalism. Someone like Huddersfield perhaps...

Whatever happens woudl love Cody to have a great career with us or A Nother. He''s been a good servant and our success.

[quote user="Grif"]I seriously doubt that Cody would sign a new deal now - unless he was given firm assurances about his chances of playing regular football at Norwich (which isn''t going to happen). He will know that he is in a position of strength at the moment and can walk for nothing in a years time, meaning that the club will be under pressure to get what they can for him now. I can''t see the lad staying really, he is potentially behind 6 other strikers at the moment (although whether he should be 7th choice or not is another matter!). Sell for 400K+ with good add-ons and hope he can do well for himself. Personally I would like to see him played ahead of Wilbraham and Martin but even then he has Holt, Jackson, Morison and Vaughan in front of him. It''s just unfortunate for him really in that sense.[/quote]

Agreed, hes a long way down the pecking order here, 5th, maybe 6th choice at the highest.

The option of ''giving him another contract then loaning him out for a year'' is not really an option.  Put yourself in his shoes, do you wanna spend you career being contracted to one club but then being loaned out all the time?  If i were to do that, i''d want a very good contract from my parent club.  If i''d proven i know where the net is, then i''d want a chance at my own club and i dont think i''d agree a new deal when i know there are other clubs where i can get regular 1st team football at Championship level.  Mcdonald is 25 now, 26 when this contract runs out, so hes basically at his career defining years, his supposed best years,  I really cant see him wanting to stick around and make the odd sub appearance here, when he could go to a Championship team and be a regular starter.

I reckon we''ll have done well to get £500k for him.

[quote user="jed exodous"]

[quote user="Grif"]I seriously doubt that Cody would sign a new deal now ... I can''t see the lad staying really, he is potentially behind 6 other strikers at the moment...[/quote] 

Agreed, hes a long way down the pecking order here, 5th, maybe 6th choice at the highest.

The option of ''giving him another contract then loaning him out for a year'' is not really an option.  Put yourself in his shoes, do you wanna spend you career being contracted to one club but then being loaned out all the time?  If i were to do that, i''d want a very good contract from my parent club.  If i''d proven i know where the net is, then i''d want a chance at my own club and i dont think i''d agree a new deal when i know there are other clubs where i can get regular 1st team football at Championship level.  Mcdonald is 25 now, 26 when this contract runs out, so hes basically at his career defining years, his supposed best years,  I really cant see him wanting to stick around and make the odd sub appearance here, when he could go to a Championship team and be a regular starter. 

I reckon we''ll have done well to get £500k for him.

[/quote]On the other hand, when your parent club has just got to the Premier League - probably triggering a promotion pay rise - and you have just had the best possible season you could have, why would you want to take a pay cut to play at Championship level when you could possibly earn more by doing the same thing but on loan and give yourself a chance of improving your own game and reputation further then have a shot at playing in the PL in a years time?I think that, if offered a new contract, he would accept.It all boils down to whether or not Paul Lambert and the club believe that he has improved enough to:a) be potentially good enough to play for city now or in the future,b) be good enough now to play at Championship level, andc) be good enough to be wanted by a Championship club and regularly play for them.We are not in need of cash and I wouldn''t imagine he is earning a massive wage so the club have no need to sell him. I would expect him to be given a chance to prove himself in preseason before either being offered a new contract or sold depending on how good he proves to be; but I would not sell him unless a really good offer came in.Remember, he was sent out on loan to get experience having only played a handful of games for us. He now has gained a season''s experience and proved that he has a certain amount of ability. That in its self might be enough for the club to offer him a new contract. The last thing we need is for him to end up playing against us in the Championship next season if we get relegated - especially if he does make the step up and bangs in the goals at his new club.It''s funny that so many people claim to know whether or not he has the ability to play at a higher level. Neither Holt or Morrison had played or proven themself above League 1 until last season and they are both a few years older than Cody. We would look very silly if we let him go for next to nothing now and he went on to emulate them. CMS is arguably not much better and he went for silly money.I trust Lambert though, and if he thinks that Cody isn''t and won''t be good enough for the team then fair enough but I would either want there to be a new contract offered or for us to hold out for not too much shy of £1m given the inflated prices being paid in this transfer window.

If we had had no prior-to connection with Cody McDonald and Lambert had bought him from Gillingham for £750, 000, I suspect most of us would be delighted at the fact that the manager had once again picked up a lower league gem for a decent price. A premiership star in the waiting, no less.

The fact that we all know Cody''s game quite well, along with it''s limitations, means that most now seem keen to sell him for a reasonable fee. 

I feel that this is fair comment in itself about the player and the fact that he is not upto Premiership standard.

This is not meant to be a criticism of Cody, he has as many strengths as limitations, and I suspect he will firmly establish himself as a leading Championship player quite soon. I hope so.

If Peterborough really offered £550, 000 for him then we should have accepted it. If we did not, as a matter of principle**, because of their antics, then we are sinking to their level. Norwich is a far bigger club than little Posh, and the nonsense about M-Smith should have been brushed aside as the minor irritant that it was. Too trivial to bother with.

**Rumours?

As it is, Cody might have missed a good opportunity to better himself and the Peterborough fans, a decent lot, have lost a good striker.

It could be, however, that the Club does actually value Cody higher. More likely, Fry made up the figure and he really offered less. 

To be honest, three factors must be considered:

1, he has never proved himelf at championship level.

2, he is in the last year of his contract

3, we only paid 27K for him and he hasn''t broke into our first team even in league 1.

Where people get the 500K plus valuation for him in my opinion is 250K too much.

If we get anywhere near 250K we should be happy and good for Cody to progress his career now at a different club.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]

If we had had no prior-to connection with Cody McDonald and Lambert had bought him from Gillingham for £750, 000, I suspect most of us would be delighted at the fact that the manager had once again picked up a lower league gem for a decent price. A premiership star in the waiting, no less.

The fact that we all know Cody''s game quite well, along with it''s limitations, means that most now seem keen to sell him for a reasonable fee. 

I feel that this is fair comment in itself about the player and the fact that he is not upto Premiership standard.

This is not meant to be a criticism of Cody, he has as many strengths as limitations, and I suspect he will firmly establish himself as a leading Championship player quite soon. I hope so.

If Peterborough really offered £550, 000 for him then we should have accepted it. If we did not, as a matter of principle**, because of their antics, then we are sinking to their level. Norwich is a far bigger club than little Posh, and the nonsense about M-Smith should have been brushed aside as the minor irritant that it was. Too trivial to bother with.

**Rumours?

As it is, Cody might have missed a good opportunity to better himself and the Peterborough fans, a decent lot, have lost a good striker.

It could be, however, that the Club does actually value Cody higher. More likely, Fry made up the figure and he really offered less. 

[/quote]

I would rather let him go to Accrington stanley for nothing rather than let Peterboro have him for £1 or £2 mil, that man Fry is realy getting up my nose, a bit like the pleb in Colchester, wonder if they are related, Cody, IMO is worth a chance, offer him a new contract and see how he copes at least untill January, I think we will or could end up with burnt fingers if we just cast him off to soon   

Why get so worked up about Fry? Business is business and the interests of NCFC are tantamount. These are not advanced by holding grudges. Besides, who in their right mind could possibly let that little man at Peterborough get under their skin? I am quite sure McNasty is above it all.

As the philosopher said, "If an ass should kick me, why should I be annoyed?"

Hang on. How is cody better than martin? Who would you rather have a proven league two scorer or a proven league one scorer with a lot of championship experience playing in multiple positions?

You also cannot compare cody to wilbraham as they are different types of striker. The pair of them could make a good league one strikeforce.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]

**Rumours?

[/quote]

A little bit of research goes a long way....

http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/forums/1/2575460/ShowPost.aspx#2575460

[quote user="Joanna Grey"][quote user="BroadstairsR"]

**Rumours?

[/quote]

A little bit of research goes a long way....

http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/forums/1/2575460/ShowPost.aspx#2575460

[/quote]

Oh thank you for that.

Research?  We all know about that.

What is the truth of it though? It seems a bit unlikely to me.

Quite alot of people on here hate Cody, well your entitled to your opinion..... I personally think we would be idiots to let him go for 500k, I say loan him out to a championship club give him a chance to prove he can compete at that level.

If he has a good season his price will almost certainly go up to well around 1 - 1.5 million.

Why let him go now for 500k, pennies in todays transfer market we might as well keep hold of him.

The people slating Cody are probably the same doubters that said Holt could is not a Championship striker!!!!

You will all be gutted if we sold him to a championship club for 500k and then he bangs in a hat full of goals and his proce goes up to in the millions.

Jesus, far to many people slate players on here, give the lad a chance at another club, we dont have to sell him.