Sign in to follow this  
greeno_4_england

is malky over the hill?

Fully agree with Maidstone Canary. You dont sit top of the First Division a full 9 points clear of the team in 3rd with a bad defence. I thought yesterday Malky was superb sheperding their forwards and getting the foot in when it mattered. As for the odd hoof here and there I must admit sometimes I am glad of it when we are being pressurised and it at least clears our lines (and yes I admit it may come back but at least it gives us a bit of breathing space). No, I think on the whole this season Flem and Malky have been superb and although next season if in the Prem may be a bit too old would be a great defender for the subs bench or to fill in like Iwan does now.

When did Malky last let us down?
All I can remember are numerous determined performances where Malky
gave 100%. Yesterday was a typical performance. There is life in him yet!!!

As most posters know I am an ardant Shackell fan and have suggested he should replace Malky, but after the last few games I have been won over by Malky''s performances and would leave the back four as it is. I would still like to see a defender on the bench though, and preferably Shackell.

Nah. Malky and Holt did get mixed up to let in Harewood.Plus the opening 5 mins weren''t pretty. But apart from that big Malky was superb. Strong, powerful, intimidating and not unwilling to flatten Connelly if the cause demanded it. Yes, he hoofs the ball high and long far too often. But one look at our goals against record and you forgive that soon enough.

I am not a fan of McHoof but when he is an integral part of the defence that has conceeded fewer goals than any other team whats to complain about? Without a doubt his performances have been good over the last few months, and significantly better than the first three.

However he will still not be good enough if we are lucky enough to get promoted... that is why I would like to see shackell blooded now rather than bring him in under pressure next season..

OTBC

I would say the last few games leading to a possible £40m fortune is pressure.

Next year we will be expected to get thrashed left, right & centre and he could come in and find his feet against the best in the business.

malky is a legend, and his partnership and understanding with fleming is invaluable. it wouldnt be worth selling malky and gambling with another central defence pairing at first. theyve been playing together off and on since 98 now, shackells only played a handful. lets bring him in slowly. he doesnt need to be on the bench necessarily. brennan could drop back, moving drury to the centre, or holt could drop further back. these players have a better understanding of each other than shackell would have, and thats what counts. lets give shackell another preseason before just chucking him in there.

My previous arguement was that Holt and Brennan are playing in positions that they are familiar and happy with at present, and it is working well for the team. If you move either of them into the back four, instead of bringing on a natural defender, you are back to square one in having to find a midfielder. I think most people would agree that at the moment Mulryne is unlikely to replace Holt / Francis / Brennan, and the only other options are Rivers, Easton, Briggs, and Sinclair. I wonder whether Forest had all these fears when they brought Dawson in at a tender age. As regards giving Shackell another pre season before just chucking him in there, why don''t we give him some time in the team now.

If it ain''t broke don''t fix it.

How would we all feel if Worthy gave in to the pressure, swapped out Malky for Shackell and the team then went into a nose dive? Unlikely but why tinker with the best defence in the division.

Sure, if and when we clinch an automatic promotion place, then start playing Shackell to get the experience but please, not yet!