Sign in to follow this  
mikewalker

People who want us to sign Upson

Initially i didnt want to sign him either but i think it would be a clever signing from Lambert. He is not the same player as he was 5 years ago but he has an abundance of experience and his knowlege could be vital in the dressing room. He has been to World Cups and played in the Prem for years, granted he got relegated with both Birmingham and West Ham but we need people who have been in these situations to help the squad.  Our back line of Barnett, Ward and Whitbread have limited experience at this level, Ward i know had a spell at West Ham when they were in the Prem but apart from that nothing. I think if we signed him he would be ideal to slot in if Whitbread or Barnett were to get injured.

Pineapple is disgusting, let alone on pizza; has to be pepperoni or chicken and sweetcorn pizza for me.

[quote user="NCFC4LIFE"]Initially i didnt want to sign him either but i think it would be a clever signing from Lambert. He is not the same player as he was 5 years ago but he has an abundance of experience and his knowlege could be vital in the dressing room. He has been to World Cups and played in the Prem for years, granted he got relegated with both Birmingham and West Ham but we need people who have been in these situations to help the squad. 

Our back line of Barnett, Ward and Whitbread have limited experience at this level, Ward i know had a spell at West Ham when they were in the Prem but apart from that nothing. I think if we signed him he would be ideal to slot in if Whitbread or Barnett were to get injured.
[/quote]

Personally I''d rather give some 18 year old 6''3" prospect from the youth team a go, as I reckon we can do without Upsons ''abundance of experience'' of getting turned easier than a lubed up ladyboy and humilated on the world cup stage by getting beaten by German goal kicks. GOAL KICKS FFS. Experience, pfffft. He''s a phoney.

[quote user="mikewalker"]

[quote user="NCFC4LIFE"]Initially i didnt want to sign him either but i think it would be a clever signing from Lambert. He is not the same player as he was 5 years ago but he has an abundance of experience and his knowlege could be vital in the dressing room. He has been to World Cups and played in the Prem for years, granted he got relegated with both Birmingham and West Ham but we need people who have been in these situations to help the squad. 

Our back line of Barnett, Ward and Whitbread have limited experience at this level, Ward i know had a spell at West Ham when they were in the Prem but apart from that nothing. I think if we signed him he would be ideal to slot in if Whitbread or Barnett were to get injured.
[/quote]

Personally I''d rather give some 18 year old 6''3" prospect from the youth team a go, as I reckon we can do without Upsons ''abundance of experience'' of getting turned easier than a lubed up ladyboy and humilated on the world cup stage by getting beaten by German goal kicks. GOAL KICKS FFS. Experience, pfffft. He''s a phoney.

[/quote]

Was about to bring up this exact point - Upson hasn''t been a good defender for a couple of years now, he is becoming incredibly slow and his turning circle has hallmarks of the Doc.

There is a reason he hasn''t been signed by anyone else (even though Woodgate has) and that is because he is well past his prime. Watching any of the West Ham games last season will have shown that in abundance.

[quote user="mikewalker"]

[quote user="NCFC4LIFE"]Initially i didnt want to sign him either but i think it would be a clever signing from Lambert. He is not the same player as he was 5 years ago but he has an abundance of experience and his knowlege could be vital in the dressing room. He has been to World Cups and played in the Prem for years, granted he got relegated with both Birmingham and West Ham but we need people who have been in these situations to help the squad.  Our back line of Barnett, Ward and Whitbread have limited experience at this level, Ward i know had a spell at West Ham when they were in the Prem but apart from that nothing. I think if we signed him he would be ideal to slot in if Whitbread or Barnett were to get injured. [/quote]

[/quote]We have plenty of Youth in our squad the thing we lack is experience at this level, Upson would provide that. Its a given he is not as good as he used to be and he probably wouldnt start but he would be reassurance for the younger defenders at the club. Vital dressing room experience.

[quote user="NCFC4LIFE"][quote user="mikewalker"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

We have plenty of Youth in our squad the thing we lack is experience at this level, Upson would provide that. Its a given he is not as good as he used to be and he probably wouldnt start but he would be reassurance for the younger defenders at the club. Vital dressing room experience.
[/quote]

The youth will be reassured that a past-it phoney shithouse bottler who couldn''t hack it (repeatedly) in the prem and got blown to bits in the World Cup (the ultimate time all his experience etc was really needed) will be sat on the bench/(god forbid) in the first team every week just because he''s been through it all before?

Mental.

You''re mental.

if we can get him on the cheap for a year contract i think he will bring value to the squad. we have no experienced heads in our squad. None! Macnamee - Watford  (leaving anyway)Ward - West Ham (handful of games)Ruddy - Everton (One sub apperance)Drury is our only player who has experience playing at the top level and that was for a year 6 years ago.

''Premier League experience'' is massively overrated. Especially when that experience over the last couple of years has been shipping soft goals, getting turned easily and showing less pace than a ''90s comedy performer called Gareth who has decided to go it alone after falling out with his long term partner Norman. West Ham got relegated for a reson last year and it wasn''t just because Avram Grant is rubbish (despit what some may have you believe).

Upson is terrible and I would be amazed if Lambert had even given him a thought.

"Gareth who has decided to go it alone after falling out with his long term partner Norman."Gareth Southgate had a partner called Norman ? 
[^o)]

[quote user="Shack Attack"]

''Premier League experience'' is massively overrated. Especially when that experience over the last couple of years has been shipping soft goals, getting turned easily and showing less pace than a ''90s comedy performer called Gareth who has decided to go it alone after falling out with his long term partner Norman. West Ham got relegated for a reson last year and it wasn''t just because Avram Grant is rubbish (despit what some may have you believe).

Upson is terrible and I would be amazed if Lambert had even given him a thought.

[/quote]I agree Upson isnt the player he once was, but we need experience. One

thing Lambert''s teams always have and that is balance, if you state that

Prem experience is overrated then you are the one that is CRAZY!!

[quote user="NCFC4LIFE"][quote user="Shack Attack"]

[/quote]

I agree Upson isnt the player he once was, but we need experience. One thing Lambert''s teams always have and that is balance, if you state that Prem experience is overrated then you are the one that is CRAZY!!

[/quote]

Premier League experience is important (slightly) but it is worthless if the experienced player isn''t good enough - like Upson. I can''t see how having a player on large wages being a benefit just because he has played in the league before, it is the job of the coaches to guide the younger players.

When Lambert first came in he talked about how the club had been buying players because of their name, or who they used to play for, signing Upson would be a return to that policy. If a player is good enough then experience ulitmately won''t matter.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="NCFC4LIFE"][quote user="Shack Attack"]

[/quote]

I agree Upson isnt the player he once was, but we need experience. One thing Lambert''s teams always have and that is balance, if you state that Prem experience is overrated then you are the one that is CRAZY!!

[/quote]

Premier League experience is important (slightly) but it is worthless if the experienced player isn''t good enough - like Upson. I can''t see how having a player on large wages being a benefit just because he has played in the league before, it is the job of the coaches to guide the younger players.

When Lambert first came in he talked about how the club had been buying players because of their name, or who they used to play for, signing Upson would be a return to that policy. If a player is good enough then experience ulitmately won''t matter.

[/quote]

I couldn''t have put it better myself Bethnal.

I wouldn''t mind Upson. But i''m not leaping up and down with excitement about it. I do eat pineapple on pizzas and stand to wipe - you get a better angle.

When you think about it, are most Premier League experienced position if you like is centre back.

Whitbread played a handful of games at Liverpool.

Barnett with West Brom

Ward played a fair few for West Ham.

I think get a youngish centre half in. Like James Tomkins, or maybe look abroad for a cheap young gem. Although Lambert probably won''t do that.

Premier League experienced defender- Martin Taylor. Probably cheap, can get goals. Albeit slow but I think he is worth a shot, he has never really had a season where you think "he is a donkey". I think he is a handy player anyway.

Matthew Upson would not be ideal to ''just slot in'' if something happened to Ward or Whitbread. He would come here with such an ego he would expect to a starter in every game irrespective of form.

Its a no from me on this one.

I also hate pineapple on a pizza, its just wrong. But I do stand to wipe by virtue of the fact that I have a massive arse.

[quote user="NCFC4LIFE"]but you must agree that we need to sign at least one player with some experience?

[/quote]

erm.. nope. The only member of the team that I think is at a great advantage having prem experience is the manager (tactics etc). I am firmly in the camp of ability>experience. There could be an arguement for signing someone with ''proven premiership ability'' I guess.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]"Gareth who has decided to go it alone after falling out with his long term partner Norman."

Gareth Southgate had a partner called Norman ? 
[^o)]

[/quote]

He means Norman Pace (Of Hale & Pace), who is now a kept man, supported by his Poker Playing wife! I''ve met them a few times on Poker trips with Ladbrokes.

[quote user="NCFC4LIFE"]but you must agree that we need to sign at least one player with some experience?

[/quote]

Upson and Taylor are defenders past their best by some considerable distance. They are the exact opposite of a typical PL signing.

I agree experience is desirable and would be a positive addition to our defence. But these players are not the solution.

[quote user="YellowLittle1"]When you think about it, are most Premier League experienced position if you like is centre back.

Whitbread played a handful of games at Liverpool.

Barnett with West Brom

Ward played a fair few for West Ham.

I think get a youngish centre half in. Like James Tomkins, or maybe look abroad for a cheap young gem. Although Lambert probably won''t do that.

Premier League experienced defender- Martin Taylor. Probably cheap, can get goals. Albeit slow but I think he is worth a shot, he has never really had a season where you think "he is a donkey". I think he is a handy player anyway.[/quote]Zak Whitbread had no Prem starts for Liverpool in fact he only featured with the reserve team, and Barnett didnt either he was involved with the WBA team that got promoted but didnt play in the Prem i think he made one or two sub apperances. He was shipped out on loan to Cov...

Whitbread has played in the cups for Liverpool, even in the European cup, but your right no Prem games. But he played in the first team a few times.

And Barnett has played 10 games for West Brom in the Premier League.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://images.icnetwork.co.uk/upl/liverpoolecho/may2011/3/2/zak-whitbread-494259331.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2011/05/12/former-liverpool-fc-defender-zak-whitbread-can-t-wait-for-anfield-return-with-norwich-100252-28679588/&usg=__FTzOvoySPAqdqKBUeAyn3Ahi0y8=&h=275&w=158&sz=10&hl=en&start=0&zoom=1&tbnid=kr9CdFqgdD__VM:&tbnh=152&tbnw=85&ei=yz0cToOmAczysgaPkYCWBw&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dzak%2Bwhitbread%2Bliverpool%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26biw%3D1024%26bih%3D600%26tbm%3Disch&um=1&itbs=1&iact=rc&dur=125&page=1&ndsp=14&ved=1t:429,r:10,s:0&tx=65&ty=79

Maybe Whitbread did play in the Prem for them after all.

He has never played in the Prem! this i know!and barnett has played 6 games in the prem two of them subs apperances!

i''d be happy with Upson for a 1 year contract so long as wages were not excessive (and no one on here can say for sure what they would be)

fact of the matter is that Whitbread has had excessive injury problems and whilst i hope he''s seen the last of them, we cannot pin all hopes on it. to a lesser extent the same could be said for Barnett who has only just come back from a long injury spell.

sometimes experience doesn''t have to be about how they play on the pitch - it can be how well they know the opposition players, the opposition''s manager and how he changes tactics during the game, and even experience with the referees.  for that reason - i''d sign him.

[quote user="NCFC4LIFE"]He has never played in the Prem! this i know!and barnett has played 6 games in the prem two of them subs apperances![/quote]

Your words were Barnett had a "one or two sub appearances"

He played 10 games. 1 Subsitute. On the West Brom and Norwich official site.

But anyway, I don''t think Upson is the ticket. I think Whitbread and Barnett are Premier League quality, not 100% sure about Ward. Either way, we need a centre half.