Sign in to follow this  
ROBFLECK

Woodgate

Anybody dissapointed we missed out on him? Think his wages ,etc...would have been too high and he''s injury prone...but still experienced defender.

I reckon we really need one and we''ve sort of missed out here. Guy with a lot of experience...he''d have been good to have for the other lads too. Thoughts?

While he''s a great player, we need a settled defence this year, not one reliant on unfit players. Consistensy is the key to our defence coping first season back in the big time. If we''re going for an experienced defender to help the others out, i''d rather Upson. I think him and Ilunga would be fantastic signings and would complete our defence, leaving me happy with what we''ve got to go into the Prem season with.

Funny one that. I''d say no if he''s injury prone and on big wages, and he might destabilise the dressing room.

But I think he''s joined Stoke on a pay-as-you-play deal so it might have been win-win. I will say he doesn''t strike me as a Lambert signing though. Young and hungry?

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]While he''s a great player, we need a settled defence this year, not one reliant on unfit players. Consistensy is the key to our defence coping first season back in the big time. If we''re going for an experienced defender to help the others out, i''d rather Upson. I think him and Ilunga would be fantastic signings and would complete our defence, leaving me happy with what we''ve got to go into the Prem season with.[/quote]You''ve got a point Jimmy, I''d rather have Upson too... But still feel the options are running out, maybe I''m a little too impatient ;-)

You say he''s experienced. He hasnt experience a full season for years. Would rather someone like wes morgan from forest. Plays every game and needs a new challenge.

[quote user="Chunky Norwich"]Funny one that. I''d say no if he''s injury prone and on big wages, and he might destabilise the dressing room. But I think he''s joined Stoke on a pay-as-you-play deal so it might have been win-win. I will say he doesn''t strike me as a Lambert signing though. Young and hungry?[/quote]

An aside, but why would he "destabilise the dressing room". Also Lambert has said several times that a player doesn''t have to be young to be hungry and he would consider signing someone who is older as long as they contiune to show their hunger to succeed.

It was just a ''might''. I honestly don''t know how a footballer''s mind works but I wonder if Bennett, Ward and Whitbread would get a bit narked off if they''ve played well to get us promoted, only to have a perma-crock on much higher wages than them jump the queue.

Like I say though, they might not care or it might spur them on.

Why would he choose us over Stoke anyway?

Like it or not, they''re an established Premier League side who can offer a lot more than us including European Football.

Really not a fan of Upson, think he will be one of the highest paid players, and quite unneccesary in my eyes. I think we should be looking for a defender who has potential. Like Stoke finding Shawcross, Bolton- Cahill. But obviously it''s easier said then done.

I actually think we will have to look abroad to get in a good centre half, although I couldn''t see Lambert doing it.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[quote user="Chunky Norwich"]Funny one that. I''d say no if he''s injury prone and on big wages, and he might destabilise the dressing room. But I think he''s joined Stoke on a pay-as-you-play deal so it might have been win-win. I will say he doesn''t strike me as a Lambert signing though. Young and hungry?[/quote]

An aside, but why would he "destabilise the dressing room". Also Lambert has said several times that a player doesn''t have to be young to be hungry and he would consider signing someone who is older as long as they contiune to show their hunger to succeed.

[/quote]

Old and hungry then?

Do I feel like we''ve missed out on the signing of Woodgate? NO!!

Would never have been on the cards. Even pay-as-you-play deal would be terrible business for an injury prone ''sicknote''!

To be honest I''m surprised any club would want to sign him because if they get a couple of games out of him they will be extremely lucky. He must think that he''s struck gold !!! [:D] I''m surprised that Stoke haven''t also gone for Kieren Dyer, Jimmy Bullard and Michael Owen...

[quote user="paul moy"]To be honest I''m surprised any club would want to sign him because if they get a couple of games out of him they will be extremely lucky. He must think that he''s struck gold !!! [:D] I''m surprised that Stoke haven''t also gone for Kieren Dyer, Jimmy Bullard and Michael Owen...[/quote]

... and of course Owen Hargreaves

Feel sorry for Woodgate, the blokes a top defender. If fit i''d have prefered to see a partnership of him and Ledley King (again another talent who could have acheived so much more) as England''s central defense pairing.

Having said that, far too much of a gamble for a club in our position to take considering his injury problems. Talks of his wages being 20k possibly rising to 40k depending on appearences.

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]Yet again some fans ignorance makes me cringe! Why would we want to sign Woodgate? Like he''d even fit into the Lambert ideal![/quote]

yet again the ignorance of some peoples replies makes me cringe... the OP was giving an opinion and opening a bit of a debate ...if people stopped doing that for fear of being abused there would be no message board ...

Not one I am sad we missed out on. Even on a pay as you play deal you would always worry every time he went in for a challenge he would not get up again thereby potentially disrupting the team during the match and using up one of your substitute options.

The voice of reason Spartacus, the original idea was to start a debate over the defender we most definitely need.