Sign in to follow this  
YankeeCanary

Opinions Are OK - And So Is Fairness

To Whom It may Concern:

Respect For Delia and The Norwich Board

Over the past few months a goodly portion of posters on this message board have cast doubt on the commitment of the board of NCFC to spend a decent sum of money to acquire a good player. Some of you have gone further than doubt and cast negative aspersions in the Board''s direction. Some of you have said you are shareholders and are entitled to ask where the money is going. On this latter point, you are correct, you are entitled to ask, e.g. "how much money is the club prepared to spend on acquiring players?". What you are not entitled to is an answer to that question. It is your right, of course, to vote when a vote is called for or to sell your shares, if you wish to do so. This Norwich management team has demonstrated commitment over recent years to a better path and direction and, with the latest signing, continue to demonstrate it. Many of you that voiced your doubts ( instead of waiting until January to see what the club actually did ) are, like all of us, entitled to express your opinions on this message board. During the past day or so, one or two of you doubters have expressed surprise that the Board was willing to make the commitment they have now undertaken ( subject to medical ). Doubters expressing surprise, in my opinion, falls short of the mark required. Some members of Norwich management may peek at this message board from time to time to glean what fans are thinking. In the interest of fairness, it would be decent of those that expressed premature negativity, to post an apology to Delia and Company and express a willingness to demonstrate a little more faith in their continued commitment to build a better future for this club. Also, remember that this signing is a building block for the future, not an immediate saviour. 

"Firstly hats off to the board and everyone else involved, we have pushed the boat out to get a quality goalscorer and equally importantly cemented the spirit of togetherness that had begun to fracture on the basis of not giving the premiership a real go. Win lose or draw everyone will stand solidly behind NCFC."

I posted this on Saturday and I am happy to say that whilst I was severely worried that the club were playing at being premier league they have shown the sort of commitment required.

Sorry Yankee but I refuse to apologise or hang my head in shame at being concerned that the board would not release money to spend.

Firstly, If we had signed a £3m striker in the summer we could well be much higher in the league by now.  A goal scorer may well have changed some draws into wins.

Secondly, the board made a rod for their own back!  All the press release''s coming out of the club were, "We have no money", "We have to be prudent", "We only have £1.2m to spend" etc etc.  The club also told us that Ashton was well out of our price range, so forgive me for being surprised when we found the money for him.

I have no intention to post an apology to the board, Delia or Worthington.  If they come on here and read this then..... Well done on going out and getting Ashton.  That''s it though sorry.

Am I bad boy? Silly me for believing what the club have been telling me! tsk tsk

[quote]Sorry Yankee but I refuse to apologise or hang my head in shame at being concerned that the board would not release money to spend. Firstly, If we had signed a £3m striker in the summer we could...[/quote]

There''s no need for apologies, but there''s no need for gloating too.

We''ve had this debate many times before here and us supporters have to accept, unless you are a Board member or executive officer at the club, you are never going to be told the exact amount that is available for transfers, signing on fees, agent''s fees and wages.

Where the Board may be open to criticism is with playing too cautious a hand with some of the comments that are made, but it seems that they would rather "promise little and deliver more" instead of banding around big figures and failing to deliver anything at all.

Bearing in mind the fiasco we had the summer before last over the signing of a striker, I know which approach I would rather go for.

[quote]To Whom It may Concern: Respect For Delia and The Norwich Board Over the past few months a goodly portion of posters on this message board have cast doubt on the commitment of the board of N...[/quote]

As I''ve already stated before Yankee. I am keeping quiet on all board matters till Febrary the 1st.

That was my promise to you all, and until that date I will refrain from adding my two pennies worth!.

But you may be surprised.

What this proves though is that for the first time in many years (if ever) we have a Board which can balance prudence with ambition. Since the dark days of the Chase regime, slowly and surely things have got better. Colney facilities, the ground back up to a 25000 capacity for the first time in nearly 30 years, full houses each home game, a manager who has stayed for a few seasons now and has built a good squad, greater openness than ever before (yes, that''s true as they cannot run the club if every detail of every deal is leaked to those of us who thirst for such information) but above all they are prepared to do what they can to make this club succeed. Over the past 15 months we have had Hucks, Crouch, Harper and Cooper on loan, we bought Hucks against all expectation, we won Div One by a mile, and now when we all call for Ashton the transfer record appears smashed and the lad arrives.

Now I am not an apologist for everything they do, but really is there anything more that we can realistically expect? I would rather have our Board in charge than any others I know of.

[Delia- can I have a free pie for this???]

Hear, hear Yankee and Tumbleweed.

What we''re seeing is the Board demonstrating that all along they have planned for alternative outcomes.

This far into the season they can now see that staying up is realistically achievable - just like lasts years Christmas push was a calculated risk.

Even now people are saying, why didn''t they spend more in the summer and we''d not be where we now are. Easy to say with hindsight but impossible back in August. Who would have known then that 32 points could well spell safety this year.

I think we can say, given our resources, the board are doing a great job.

I think the club have a) done very well finding the money & b) persuading Ashton to agree a move.

No apology though............

I would have asked the same questions of the board, Worthy and Delia if I had met them in a bar somewhere.  I was never over the top, I only ever stated that we needed better players.  Sorry if anyone finds that very offensive.