Sign in to follow this  
Lurd

If we are really struggling at Christmas..

"Nigel Worthington, Billy Davies, Paul Ince, Ian Dowie, Gary Megson, Bryan Robson, all looked promising when taking their teams up but failed to deliver at the highest level".

Right, but the difference is they didn''t achieve back-to-back promotions.

Neither did they take over clubs that were effectively bottom (Saints were bottom, but only by virtue of a 10-point deduction) and end up going up as champions by a mile the very same season.

As for "My beleif is that should we go on a bad run Lambert will walk after his team is booed", yes, this my worry precisely. Lambert looked visibly annoyed at the booing after the Doncaster draw, and I couldn''t blame him. Some fans do not deserve him and should be ashamed of themselves.

So, in answer to the OP, if we''re really struggling at Xmas, please just try backing the manager. ''Form is temporary, class is permanent'', as the old adage has it.

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]It''s quite worrying that so many people appear to have completely misunderstood the original question.  A lot of people seem to think that he thinks this will happen, or even he wants it to happen, but it''s clearly not the case.  Quite frankly I''ve seen much more pointless and mundane things discussed on this board, many more than once.[/quote]Its frankly getting to the stage where I can see me taking another break from this place. Perfectly reasonable hypothetical question put by the OP, just for the usual dullarses to snipe at in a petty manner.I despair, I really do, this forum is becoming embarrassing.

I agree, Morty. a few posters on this thread appear to have misinterpreted the OP. I think City1st, in particular, must be getting out of bed the wrong side these days; tthis is the second OTT rant I have read from him/her this week.

The OP raises an interesting point and is asking how other people will respond if things do not start well for us in the Premiership. What is so outrageous about that, City1st?

I third that Morty. Even the most innocuous of posts can rapidly desecend into a riducolous slanging match.

It may be better when the football actually starts (but I somehow doubt it) as a lot of the decent posters don''t seem to be on here so much.

[quote user="Wings of a Wizard"]I third that Morty. Even the most innocuous of posts can rapidly desecend into a riducolous slanging match.

It may be better when the football actually starts (but I somehow doubt it) as a lot of the decent posters don''t seem to be on here so much.[/quote]I didn''t post here for about 3 years as it had descended into pretty much where its heading now.The same old people having the same old snipes at the same other posters (Yes I know there is irony in my statement) except most of you seem to have changed your names, so I have no idea which idiot is which these days!

A very valid question, especially with the added attention being in the Premier League will draw - even if all the fans want Lambert to stay the media will start to push stories about him being "under pressure" or people "losing confidence" in him. Comes with the job.

Last Christmas WBA look nailed on to go down, some good performances but shipping goals at an alarming rate and players looking helpless to stop it. The board took the decisive action of slinging out Di Matteo (who was a bit of a media darling) and bringing in Hodgson - result was to easily slip away from relegation (didn''t Hodgson lose only one game whilst manager?). West Ham went the route of showing faith in their manager (although in an odd way) and the result was relegation.

No one on here knows if Lambert will be a success in the Premier League, as he has never managed there before it is impossible to say how he will do. He is certainly a manager with a lot of ability and all the signs point to him continuing to lead the club forward - but what if he is a bit like Neil Warnock? Good in the lower leagues but gets found out at the higher level. Can Lambert cope when things start to get tough?

Lambert has clearly done a superb job up until now - but that doesn''t mean he should be beyond critisim, this leads to complacency. He said that all the players have a blank sheet with their performances from the previous two seasons wiped away and starting fresh from now, the same has to be applied to Lambert in my eyes.

(Please don''t read this as a critisim of Lambert or the team and hopefully it is a theoretical point that will never come up. There are arguments and examples for sticking with or changing the manager - but as with most things in life ''every situation is different'')

Agree with the people who are more worried that our booing may push Lambert out if we have a bad spell or are playing poorly; I''d be disgusted if I hear any booing this season, and so should Lambert.

"Perfectly reasonable hypothetical question put by the OP"

It was not.

If so why was it based on the news signings alone ? Why was Lamberts consequental sacking then based on there being another "experienced EPL manager being available. Based on whether this saviour would be willing "to come on board", as well.

Further comments from the OP merely added to the whole tone of the approach. Again they adfded nothing but unfounded sideways attacks. We have lost many many times. We were relegated. I don''t remember any of the drivel about the fans turning on Lambert.

Again the stuff about young managers rising through the leagues to the top was false. The susbequent answer did not demonstrate ONE single example.

I would suggest some of you actualty read the post and it''s following two posts anyou may grasp what was put up.

As to my original reply being posted then I can only speculate that it might have been too close to the truth as however robust the reply it was not threatening, used foul language, racist etc etc

Odd times

You’re missing the point. We have not lost many times under Paul Lambert. We’ve never lost two games in a row under him (in the same season). I think based on the history of the EPL we will go a few games without winning, probably without getting any points or even goals and that will be totally new ground for Lambo. How will people take this?

As for the signings, if we spend the best part of £10m on new players and none of them perform, how will you feel? Would you trust him to spend another £10m or so in January? His previous buys have all been pretty cheap and worked out well, so I left them for this purpose.

Credit to most people for treating this post as it was intended - when i saw it i thought the OP better get his hard hat on! But he makes a very fair point. What people have to realise is that right now, sitting where we are and have been, running a football club - successfully - looks like a peice of cake. Why on earth would we want to change anything? But it''s only easy because everything is aligned as it should be. On the field, off the field, in the stands, everyone is singing the same song, and it sounds ruddy marevellous. People will recall we had the same togetherness in our 2003/4 promo team. But people will also recall that it all fell apart VERY quickly, and very badly. The biggest threat to this harmony now is clearly going to be Lambert leaving. But if, as is likely, we don''t win every other game like we have more than done for two years, there will be a tougher test of our togetherness, of the manager, and of the characters within the team. A tougher test than they have had to face before. And who''s to say what might happen. It won''t take much to lose the perfect balance and harmony we''ve enjoyed so far under Lambert.

He''s got us back to back promotions.

On the whole his transfers thus far have performed well, and values have gone up (and this lot we have now, look very much like they could do the same)

We have a fairly young squad, meaning even a relegation season, could give them that bit of experience they need to push themselves on, and get promoted the next season if relegation were to happen.

There is just something that Lambert is doing right, he hasn''t been buying the top class players in the leagues we''ve been in, he''s been buying decent youngish players who can fit in out team and develop on. He''s got a great team spirit going, pretty consistent results and is way ahead of the 7 year plan set out by McNally/the Board.

One of the posts on the first page said, don''t get rid unless we go back down to League One. And to be honest thats pretty much what should happen. Two amazing seasons, its clear to me at least that Lambert is a pretty good manager, and to be honest i wouldn''t be surprised if he spends the rest of his career from now on in the Premiership/top flight football, hopefully a few years of that at least will be with us.

Football is a very fickle environment, a player worth £1m one week is £35m a few weeks later and vice versa, the same goes for managers.

If Lambert really does go off the boil and we have 0 points at Christmas and a bunch of players who are fighting... then I will be calling for his head, i''m confident it won''t be like this, but you never know!

I''d remember the good times with the promotions and he''d still go down in folklore, but do you honestly think any manager is ever about 10-15 games away from the sack? Imagine Man U were even 10th at Christmas, Fergie would be gone!

So say the club sack him, who do we bring in, who is actually better than Lambert, and when you have got that tiny pool sorted, which of those elite would we attract? 

Personally, I think that Lambert is top quality, if Norwich City FC fall on hard times, I would back my judgement and support him still (hope that the club do the same) and then in the future when the bigger fish come calling, hope Paul Lambert remembers and repays that loyalty.

"You’re missing the point."

I think I can see the point, all too clearly. There is nothing new about the idea that we might lose games in the Premier League, I doubt there is one single fan anywhere who thinks that we will emulate the last two seasons, so remarks about "fans to get used to the inevitble losses" are both ill founded and contracdictory. Ill founded, as stated above and contradictory as if the losses are inevitable then that suggests that they are to be expected.

So why the post ?

Look at how it is couched and you will have your answer. How would players who have not played in the Premier league be able to show "any glimpse they are at all top level players " when they have not played in the Premier League ?Reverse that and ask where is there any glimpse that they have failed. The OP has merely used a well worn trick of putting up an ''aunt sally''. Where you set something up yourself to then knock it down.

Why would Lamberts replacement have to be be "an experienced EPL manager" ? Why is that comment qualified by the slipped in addition of "and willing to come on board" ? i doubt hese are chance remarks.

Part of being a suporter is the discussion and the ''what if''. The OP was not that. It was loaded with skewed logic and flawed argument that the OPis now having backtrack from. Speculate by all means. As said, that this part of the fun, but don''t complain when others do the same about what lies behind your contrived speculation.

[quote user="City1st"]"You’re missing the point."

I think I can see the point, all too clearly. There is nothing new about the idea that we might lose games in the Premier League, I doubt there is one single fan anywhere who thinks that we will emulate the last two seasons, so remarks about "fans to get used to the inevitble losses" are both ill founded and contracdictory. Ill founded, as stated above and contradictory as if the losses are inevitable then that suggests that they are to be expected.

So why the post ?

Look at how it is couched and you will have your answer. How would players who have not played in the Premier league be able to show "any glimpse they are at all top level players " when they have not played in the Premier League ?Reverse that and ask where is there any glimpse that they have failed. The OP has merely used a well worn trick of putting up an ''aunt sally''. Where you set something up yourself to then knock it down.

Why would Lamberts replacement have to be be "an experienced EPL manager" ? Why is that comment qualified by the slipped in addition of "and willing to come on board" ? i doubt hese are chance remarks.

Part of being a suporter is the discussion and the ''what if''. The OP was not that. It was loaded with skewed logic and flawed argument that the OPis now having backtrack from. Speculate by all means. As said, that this part of the fun, but don''t complain when others do the same about what lies behind your contrived speculation.[/quote]Do you have some sort of ongoing beef with the OP?

With the content of the post I have '' a beef''

Curiously you seem to have '' a beef'' with my explaining this ''beef''

[quote user="City1st"]With the content of the post I have '' a beef''

Curiously you seem to have '' a beef'' with my explaining this ''beef''[/quote]I have no beef whatsoever.I just find your reaction to, what I think is a perfectly reasonable hypothetical question (the Op''s post) a bit over the top.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="City1st"]With the content of the post I have '' a beef'' Curiously you seem to have '' a beef'' with my explaining this ''beef''[/quote]

I have no beef whatsoever.

I just find your reaction to, what I think is a perfectly reasonable hypothetical question (the Op''s post) a bit over the top.
[/quote]

Binner

If you have found it ''perfectly reasonable'' then fine

I did not, so set out why

[quote user="Duncan Edwards"]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="City1st"]With the content of the post I have '' a beef'' Curiously you seem to have '' a beef'' with my explaining this ''beef''[/quote]I have no beef whatsoever.I just find your reaction to, what I think is a perfectly reasonable hypothetical question (the Op''s post) a bit over the top.[/quote]

Binner

[/quote][:D]

I really have just had a co-op beef and horseradish sarnie, so i''m the only one who can say they have beef. Bit too liberal with the horseradish though. Water...

Fair enough, you have beef too, wings. Beef wings? It''s quite funny though because i never normally have beef sarnies. It''s only because i happened to be passing co-op and it was all they had that didn''t look completely bland. Then i get back to my desk and find everyone on this post talking about beef! Made me smile anyway. For what it''s worth, and not to be completely OT, i kind of agree that City1st is not really ''getting'' this post.

I actually think we need to be really loyal to Lambert.

I hate to be negative but I think we could easily go down, but I think some of the players we have in our team have the potential to see us back in the prem or make a few bob for us.

I don''t think it will be the end of the world if we go down, and I don''t think we have a right to sack Lambert unless we are back into League 1.

[quote user="YellowLittle1"]I actually think we need to be really loyal to Lambert. I hate to be negative but I think we could easily go down, but I think some of the players we have in our team have the potential to see us back in the prem or make a few bob for us. I don''t think it will be the end of the world if we go down, and I don''t think we have a right to sack Lambert unless we are back into League 1.[/quote]

That is absolutely SPOT ON mate.

Fair play to the OP though, it is an interesting question. I don''t see why the OP has been attacked but I remember the days when every single little post I made was slated so I have sympathy with him/her...

Remember when Lambo was linked with Burnley and the hysteria on this board? Well the fact that Lambo stayed loyal and made clear that ''it never crossed my mind to leave Carrow Road'' means that even if we hit rock bottom in his time here and go back to league 1 he will have my ultimate support.

Paul Lambert is an incredibly special manager and is incredibly talented. He will ALWAYS have my support. I''m not attacking the guy who made the post you understand I''m just throwing all of my support behind Lambo.

ILWT!

Fair question, I personally wouldn''t sack Lambert at christmas or if Norwich were relegated. I see the OP''s point, lots of fans were angry when we drew with Doncaster and Preston and while they were dissapointing results alot of the fans response was completly over the top when things were placed into context and felt fully justified in their reactions.I would like to think that most fans would support Lambert and keep faith in him even if Norwich were relegated. However throught my life I have learned that humans'' can rarely be trusted to think things through logically. As this thread has shown, when things go wrong (or things are asked that make people feel uncomfortable) people are all too quick to turn on each other.