Sign in to follow this  
Lurd

If we are really struggling at Christmas..

And say a lot of Lamberts summer signings have not shown any glimpse they are at all top level players, would you give him the rest of the season to try and sort it, or if say an experienced EPL manager was available and willing to come on board, get rid?

I think it''s going to be difficult for some of our fans to get used to the inevitble losses, especially if they come from a Wigan or Wolves or Stoke - all established teams now but ones we once were equal to (or better).

Interesting point. I and I hope the majority of fans would get behind Lambert for the season regardless because ultimately, we are where we are because of him!

But playing devils advocat- West Brom got rid of Di Matteo and got in Hodgson, which at the time looked like madness but proved a master stroke, and to a much lesser extent Newcastle /Hughton (...although god knows why they brought in Pardew!) 

We quite simply have to keep him, regardless of if we''re sitting bottom 3 come Christmas (which I genuinely don''t think we will be). The likes of Stoke and Wolves are established in the top flight because they have been consistent, Pulis has been at Stoke since 2006 as well as McCarthy at Wolves since 2006. Success is born through consistency, from top to bottom.

[quote user="Larry David"]And say a lot of Lamberts summer signings have not shown any glimpse they are at allor top level players, would you give him the rest of the season to try and sort it, or if say an experienced EPL manager was available and willing to come on board, get rid? I think it''s going to be difficult for some of our fans to get used to the inevitble losses, especially if they come from a Wigan  Wolves or Stoke - all established teams now but ones we once were equal to (or better).[/quote]

And you have the bloody cheek to call me an embarassment to City, show some faith.

I would be amazed if we didnt keep him charge.

To be honest i am suprised that the question has even come up.

We have one of, if not the the brightest young manager in the country.

Even if we do get relegated it will be a learning experience for Lambert and we will come back stronger.

What though if we/he looks totally out of his depth, Worthy style. It''s not beyond the realms of possibility.

Plently of young managers have steamrolled up the leagues, only to fail at the biggest hurdle.

[quote user="First Wizard"]

[quote user="Larry David"]And say a lot of Lamberts summer signings have not shown any glimpse they are at allor top level players, would you give him the rest of the season to try and sort it, or if say an experienced EPL manager was available and willing to come on board, get rid? I think it''s going to be difficult for some of our fans to get used to the inevitble losses, especially if they come from a Wigan  Wolves or Stoke - all established teams now but ones we once were equal to (or better).[/quote]

And you have the bloody cheek to call me an embarassment to City, show some faith.

[/quote]Imagine if you''d posted that Wiz.  **** me WW3 would''ve broken out again[:D]Better answer the question anyway.  Lambert imo has enough credit in the bank to ride out several balls ups and relegation is one of them.

Getting rid of Lambert would be short-termism gone mad.

He''s proved over the past 2 seasons that he is better than virtually any other manager in most respects, including man management, tactics, substitutions, organisation and signings.

I honestly believe he will end up managing a really big club. We are truly privileged to have him here.

I do not want to see Lamber become a victim of his own success. The back-to-back expectations have raised expectations unrealistically in some quarters. They also mean that he is inevitably still dealing with a few remnants of a League One club (OTJ anyone?), which can only hold us back.

As for either Hodgson or Pardew being masterstrokes, the jury is still surely out on those.

[quote user="SPANGLES"][quote user="First Wizard"]

[/quote]

Imagine if you''d posted that Wiz.  **** me WW3 would''ve broken out again[:D]

Better answer the question anyway.  Lambert imo has enough credit in the bank to ride out several balls ups and relegation is one of them.
[/quote]

You''re totally wasted on here Spangles mate, come and join us on http://www.carrowroad.net/carrow/index.php

Its bullsh*t free for starters.

Lambert once said something along the lines of that he loves the club and unless he gets sacked, he''s going knowhere; well I love Lambert and unless he chooses to leave I can''t ever see myself wanting him to be sacked.

Gotta stick with him even though I believe that selling Cody will have proven to be a big mistake.

Spangles is the best poster i have seen on here for years. Glad you agree Wiz.

As far as I''m concerned this season is a bonus. The plan was to be established in the Premier in 7 years when Lambert joined us and we''re at least 3 years ahead of schedule. Let''s approach this season as serendipity and take some big risks, if we go down we can cry into the extra 45m we''re going to have over the next 3 seasons.

I think there''s already been an element of that in our signings, all potentially great players but all to some extent unknown quantities at this level. Let''s try some crazy formations go out looking to beat the top teams.

Hell if we at bottom with 0 points at Christmas I''d suggest we offer PL a contract extension for another 5 years. Show him the loyalty he has shown us.

Sorry Hodgson was a master-stroke, won manager of the year at fulham and genuinely one of the best english managers.

Hodgson will keep wba up and build them up, he is an exceptional manager and is there best asset.

Lambert is our biggest asset, we know that. Him and McNally are the keys to NCFC, the board will stick with him of course they will.

Only O''Neil would be a worthy replacement and that isn''t going to happen, so we could never repalce Lambert with a better prospect.

Lambert will leave here of his own accord, certainly will not be pushed out etc. by this board.

We may well be struggling at xmas though, it is going to be a long season, so hope he gets at least one more player in and again in January he must get some re-inforcements.

Looking forward to seeing which players are in the Norwich XI while the first team play in germany. We have alot of fringe players right now

Possibly more to the point - if we were struggling at Christmas and an established Premiership team with money lost their manager and wanted Lambert, would he go? I''d like to think not and that he will see the season through with us.

Blimey, people have got far too much time on their hands, haven''t they. What a pointless OP.

Lambert is the most important asset this clubs has, more valuable than any player on our books IMHO.

This season will be a learning curve and if we do go back down I won''t be too worried as I have faith he''d get us back up and we''ll then be even stronger financially.

I''ll be disgusted with any fan that calls for his head during the course of the season.

[quote user="Dicky"]Blimey, people have got far too much time on their hands, haven''t they. What a pointless OP.[/quote]I think the OP has raised some interesting points, would holding onto a losing

manager be considered ''little old sentimental Norwich'' in the dog eat

dog corridors of the premier league? I''m not saying I believe in this,

but it''s a fair question.

Another good point by the original OP that no ones really addressed is

how are us fans going to react to losses? Despite being spoilt with the

miracle of 2 seasons of success and without losing back to back league

games I still remember the city fans groaning at the 1-1 with Doncaster and the world collapsing on here after the 3-0 loss at Swansea.

Lamberts a master at keeping peoples feet on the ground and lowering the

fans expectancy, but will this be enough to keep everyone on side in

the darker days? Can the phenomenal team spirit be upheld under a

thunder of boo''s or a long winless run?

Football is a fickle game, I think 3 months could change a lot of

peoples opinions (especially on here...) and it''s naive to think this uncomfortable situation is not a possibility.

[quote user="paul moy"]Gotta stick with him even though I believe that selling Cody will have proven to be a big mistake.[/quote]Has he gone then? I can''t find anything about this.

[quote user="Larry David"]And say a lot of Lamberts summer signings have not shown any glimpse they are at all top level players, would you give him the rest of the season to try and sort it, or if say an experienced EPL manager was available and willing to come on board, get rid?

I think it''s going to be difficult for some of our fans to get used to the inevitble losses, especially if they come from a Wigan or Wolves or Stoke - all established teams now but ones we once were equal to (or better).[/quote]Reasonable question but I would hold onto Lambert - I think he''s already proved we need him more than he needs us, and a kicking in the Premier League won''t change that fact.  Particularly as most of us are expecting it at some point.If he sold Cody, however, then he''d have to resign and take the board with him.

Ridiculous to even suggest such a thing!

Remember where we were just 2 summers ago!

I just hope that when we have poor spells next season which is probably a certainty fans keep realistic and don''t go overboard with the critiscism!

I am not suggesting at all that we should ever get: rid of him, I just wondered what people''s thoughts were. It''s not unreasonable to think we may struggle and conversely fans will get frustrated.

I don''t doubt that Mr McNally will have considered it.

[quote user="Lambo"]Lambert is the most important asset this clubs has, more valuable than any player on our books IMHO. This season will be a learning curve and if we do go back down I won''t be too worried as I have faith he''d get us back up and we''ll then be even stronger financially. I''ll be disgusted with any fan that calls for his head during the course of the season.[/quote]

My beleif is that should we go on a bad run Lambert will walk after his team is booed. Unfortunately there will be far to many people that will have short memories. In the modern premiership any manager that can keep a side up first time round without huge outside investment has acheived more than the manager that wins the premiership. My beleif is we will under Lambert manage to stay up, but should we go down I can think of no better manager to get us back up. So answer op is if the board were to get rid or the fans forced him out we would be back to where we were a few seasons ago. People will need to be careful what they wish for look at Villa now

Nigel Worthington, Billy Davies, Paul Ince, Ian Dowie, Gary Megson, Bryan Robson, all looked promising when taking their teams up but failed to deliver at the highest level.

As for the other points, I will reiterate I haven''t said we should ever sack, Lambert but knowing how City fans are, their will be short memories if we are bottom of the league with 6 points at Christmas. Remember how it was last time, going to places like Villa Park and not getting a shot on target?

I''m not sure I like the idea that because someone has posted a hypothetical "what if we have a bad run?" scenario - which is a reasonable thing to speculate about - he must be a binner.  This is a discussion board and the question seems reasonable.  A lot of the responses here are the equivalent of sticking your head in the sand and pretending everything will automatically be fine.

It''s quite worrying that so many people appear to have completely misunderstood the original question.  A lot of people seem to think that he thinks this will happen, or even he wants it to happen, but it''s clearly not the case.  Quite frankly I''ve seen much more pointless and mundane things discussed on this board, many more than once.

Sacking Paul Lambert is a quite unthinkable scenario, that fortunately, with McInally in charge, is extremely unlikely to happen,

Two seasons of unbridled success has earned PL two seasons of failure, Relegation this season, followed by failure to return to the Premiership the following season, would still place Norwich City in a better position than before PL arrived.

Itis far more likely that PL will walk long before any thoughts of sacking him, and it as much the responsibility of the fans, as anyone else, to ensure that PL is given every opportunity to cement NCFC amongst the elite.