Sign in to follow this  
Chelmsford Canary

Is 4 Centre Backs enough?

The way I read Lamberts statement about having 4 decent centre backs (or what he says), makes me think he has settled on that amount.

Will this be enough? I''d rather another personally - don''t know who, but think we should get another in as cover. I''ve said before I was not keen on Elliott last year, so will he be able to step up? Give him a chance, but think when the window closes at end of August we need a 5th...whoever that maybe.

I would like to see another CB come in, mainly so it frees up De Laet to cover the full backs if needed - I''m not so sure about Tierny so wonder if De Laet will be required out on the left and as we have no one to cover Russell Martin if he is injured we are clearly short of a player at the back. Lambert did say he is working on a defender, wouldn''t be surprised if it is someone similar to De Laet that can cover a couple of positions.

The main problem is, as ever, finding a player who can improve on the current squad and that won''t break the bank.

It depends how well these 4 perform. Four would probably be enough unless any of them get a serious injury.

I''m not sure whether we''d be able to buy anyone that would be better than what we have already got, but I guess if we are struggling at the back in the early part of the season, PL will bring in another loan or fork out for another defender.

I think we need another right back to compete with Russell Martin personally.

i would like a youngster to cover for R Martin (we had several and released them all over the past 2 years)

and an experienced centre-back as cover for our existing players

sure PL will do what he thinks is best tho remember the transfer window closes 31 August which doesn''t give a lot of time for PL to assess how the existing pack will do.  after that, only freebies allowed til January

[quote user="San Miguel"]

i would like a youngster to cover for R Martin (we had several and released them all over the past 2 years)

and an experienced centre-back as cover for our existing players

sure PL will do what he thinks is best tho remember the transfer window closes 31 August which doesn''t give a lot of time for PL to assess how the existing pack will do.  after that, only freebies allowed til January

[/quote]

We still have Francomb who is a right back, the one we released this summer was a left back (I think)

San Miguel, which right backs are these?

The only ''decent'' one i have heard of recently, is Francomb and he is still here....

[quote user="swjf50"]  ...but I guess if we are struggling at the back in the early part of the season, PL will bring in another loan or fork out for another defender...[/quote]

Not until January though, long time to go if we are crap at the back.

[quote user="Joanna Grey"][quote user="San Miguel"]

...after that, only freebies allowed til January

[/quote]

You will have to explain that one.

[/quote]

Free transfers are allowed at anytime during the season, although can only be registered in the squad (and allowed to play) in transfer windows. This of course doesn''t apply to U21s.

It''s quality rather than numbers which concerns me.

I''m sure Lambert will splash the cash on a new quality centre back ... if he doesn''t I think our defence will be very leaky!

I think he has a Centreback in the pipeline who is quality and personality. We must still be in for a few players I think.

If we were finished buying why would we keep Ewan Chester till end of transfer window?

Not sure I see much difference between strikers and centre backs - 2 for each position on the pitch, up froint we have 5/6 options to cover for injury, loss of form and options.

Why would 4 be ok for cb? cbs are just as likely to be injured, more likely to be suspended (well except Holt lol!), just as uncertain whether they can make the step up and confidence and lack of form just as possible.

As such I would like another in for that position, even if others can cover that position.

[quote user="kellybrook"]" I''m not so sure about Tierny"

Based upon what evidence?  His superb Championship season?

[/quote]

I''ll second that. Tierney will make the grade mark my words.

[quote user="kellybrook"]" I''m not so sure about Tierny"Based upon what evidence?  His superb Championship season?

[/quote]Personally I don''t think he was ''superb'' and I felt he often looked like the weak link at the back - although playing the attacking wing back role he was asked to do isn''t an easy one so can understand that.From the games I saw he seemed to get caught out of position regularly and dived into tackles a little too often - I also felt he lost possession a little too easily at times.Hopefully he will prove me wrong as we will need everyone to be at the top of their game for 38 times next season. 

"If we were finished buying why would we keep Ewan Chester till end of transfer window? "

Do do what he did when he first joined us - forward planning ie targetting and sounding out players way in advance. To cover all eventualities.

The players we have signed, would not have been the players we brought in had we have stayed in the Championship - so it''s fair to say that both possibilities were being covered way back into last season.

Likewise Chester (and the club) would have been working on who we might need in January.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]Not sure I see much difference between strikers and centre backs - 2 for each position on the pitch, up froint we have 5/6 options to cover for injury, loss of form and options.

Why would 4 be ok for cb? cbs are just as likely to be injured, more likely to be suspended (well except Holt lol!), just as uncertain whether they can make the step up and confidence and lack of form just as possible.

As such I would like another in for that position, even if others can cover that position.[/quote]

Tierney i''m not worried about, he has quality and we saw that last season..not sure why nobody else saw it. But thats what PL does.

Totally agree, if we have Holt, Martin, Vaughan, Morison, Jackson (5) strikers, we should have same number for CB position. I have every bit of faith they can put ball in net, its keeping them out i''m worried! Should ahve same numbers as Centre Forwards and Centre Back