Sign in to follow this  
flecky76

Stoke in Europe / first home match

Stoke got a two-legged Europa Cup tie end of July and beginning of August. Just a bit concerned that this is going to help Stoke hit the ground running and will be that bit quicker than us, mentally and physically, for our first home game?

On the subject of this match, our first home game, will Lambert make sure that all advertising hoardings are brought in close to the pitch, to give Rory Delap less room for the big throw??!! I''m thinking specifically Jarrold stand side, as those hoardings are usually right next to the stand (though by bringing them in could cause sight problems to those in the first 2 rows!!!)

I''m not sure that it will give them too much of an advantage. The side they are likely to play in the competition won''t be any more of a challenge than our friendly runouts, with the higher possibility of injury for the Stoke lads on top.Good idea about the hoardings I must say but to me  I just hope Stoke get through so we play on the Sunday rather than the Sat as I have to play cricket. (and yes this is utterly selfish and will be really annoying for everyone wanting a proper football day but the easy answer is to have the bloody season start at a proper time in September, once we''ve finished the nation''s summer game eh....)

Will this game be moved to Sunday if Stoke are in Europe?

I hope so - Dereham are playing Wroxham in the preliminary round of the FA Cup on the Saturday and I would like to see both games.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]on a slightly different note, does anyone know why Stoke enter this competition in this earlier round when Birmingham seemingly do at a later stage??[/quote]I think it is due to Birmingham winning a trophy and Stoke qualifying as runners up. The UEFA coefficient system is impossible to understand without a degree in Maths - but pretty sure that is the case.

[quote user="Chrisr"]I''m not sure that it will give them too much of an advantage. The side they are likely to play in the competition won''t be any more of a challenge than our friendly runouts, with the higher possibility of injury for the Stoke lads on top.

Good idea about the hoardings I must say but to me  I just hope Stoke get through so we play on the Sunday rather than the Sat as I have to play cricket.

(and yes this is utterly selfish and will be really annoying for everyone wanting a proper football day but the easy answer is to have the bloody season start at a proper time in September, once we''ve finished the nation''s summer game eh....)
[/quote]

--

It''s Hajduk Split (Muzinic''s old team) so it should be quite a test.