Sign in to follow this  
DannyG

Pub showing every NCFC game live

Hello

At Micawbers Tavern located at Pottergate Norwich, they are showing every NCFC Premier League home & away game Live on TV.

The landlord has recently purchased a satellite package that allows them to show all 380 Premier League games, Champions League and Championship games.

Does anyone else know any other pubs that are doing this?

Isn''t this package for showing all games AFTER the games have finished - so the pub will show all Norwich games saturday night (assuming games are Saturday)? I thought they weren''t allowed to show Saturday 3pm games live as it might effect attendances.

[quote user="DannyG"]Hello

At Micawbers Tavern located at Pottergate Norwich, they are showing every NCFC Premier League home & away game Live on TV.

The landlord has recently purchased a satellite package that allows them to show all 380 Premier League games, Champions League and Championship games.

Does anyone else know any other pubs that are doing this?[/quote]Isnt this pretty much illegal? Heard of a few pubs that have done this and got heavily fined for doing this

[quote user="ncfc4life"][quote user="DannyG"]Hello At Micawbers Tavern located at Pottergate Norwich, they are showing every NCFC Premier League home & away game Live on TV. The landlord has recently purchased a satellite package that allows them to show all 380 Premier League games, Champions League and Championship games. Does anyone else know any other pubs that are doing this?[/quote]

Isnt this pretty much illegal? Heard of a few pubs that have done this and got heavily fined for doing this
[/quote]

I think due to the case in Portsmouth where the pub used a Greek channel and when challenged by Sky they won the court case due to the EU Freedom of Trade rules. This has opened the door for pubs using showing games - I''m not 100% sure of the details as you imagine if it was that easy every pub would be doing it.

There are plenty of pubs around who show Premier league games at 3.00 on a Saturday but they tend not to advertise the fact as it was thought that this was illegal. As BYaG has already pointed out there was a case in Portsmouth recently which ruled that a foreign feed was not illegal so pubs may be a little more forward with their advertising from now on.

[quote user="colneycanary"]The Kings Head in loddon are showing every Norwich 3pm Saturday match live. This is what I''ve been told anyway.[/quote]I have been told that the Beehive pub on Leopold Road is also doing the same thing.

The Greek broadcaster that people are talking about is ''Nova'' - Costs pence compared to Sky and you can see pretty much any Premier League game you like. My local boozer had it all last season - Cheeky buggers were even advertising the 3pm games on a board outside, but nothing untoward came of it, and after the European ruling on the Portsmouth case it seemed to open the floodgates locally, I can only think of 2 pubs in Swanage that has Sky now, the rest have all gone to Nova.

[quote user="nevermind"]
It can only make pubs and football more popular, don''t you think? whether it will encourage responsible drinking is a different question.

The NOVA deal has been cleared and it is a new way for fan clubs to develop.

If they can''t afford/can''t get a ticket they can at least prop up the local pub.
[/quote]Or it will mean fans will stay in the pub and watch the game rather than going to football grounds. Many lower league and non-league teams depend on fans who go to see them when they can''t get tickets for their preferred team or they are playing away. This is why the no televised games at 3pm rule was introduced.

Maybe it''ll be OK when limited to just Premiership clubs - the chances of the non-season ticket holder getting a ticket nowadays are limited anyway! I wonder how many home tickets will be available and how long they''ll last for our first home game???

its going to be a race even for super members this year. without that, near impossible i would imagine. could do with one of these superpubs in bury!

The Lake Lothing in Lowestoft has a package which will allow all Premiership games to be shown

The Portsmouth case and the rocketing costs for Sky allowed and forced the change

However - the pub has equal shares of Liverpool, Man U and Norwich supporters so fixture clashes will have to be managed

I wonder if NCFC and our CE are wondering if they can put a block on or question the legality on this situation of our games being shown in the boozers?

Maybe if the boozers use advertising hoardings or blackboards with the official club-crest on them.....then the CE and NCFC will be on them like a rash...

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[quote user="ncfc4life"][quote user="DannyG"]Hello At Micawbers Tavern located at Pottergate Norwich, they are showing every NCFC Premier League home & away game Live on TV. The landlord has recently purchased a satellite package that allows them to show all 380 Premier League games, Champions League and Championship games. Does anyone else know any other pubs that are doing this?[/quote]

Isnt this pretty much illegal? Heard of a few pubs that have done this and got heavily fined for doing this
[/quote]

I think due to the case in Portsmouth where the pub used a Greek channel and when challenged by Sky they won the court case due to the EU Freedom of Trade rules. This has opened the door for pubs using showing games - I''m not 100% sure of the details as you imagine if it was that easy every pub would be doing it.

[/quote]

Has this case gone through the courts yet?I thought it was still pending.

If this is true

Surely there must be a way of viewing over Internet???

On related subject is there a way of getting radio Norfolk through an app so it doesn''t cut out when commentary starts like it does on BBC player

Personally, I think that any true supporter who couldn''t obtain a ticket for a City game, but intended watching that game at 3pm in one of the boozers;  should faithfully put the amount of money for the price of a ticket of that game they were unable to purchase and attend into a sealed envelope, write on the envelope ''A contribution to canary coffers from an anonymous true fan'' and drop it into the club ticket office mailbox. Before trotting off to the bootleg boozer to watch said game......Then standing in the boozer with a glass of tap-water and a packet of Tesco/Asda salt and vinegar crisps for a 110 or so minutes - but feeling comfortable and humble that at least NCFC aren''t suffering financially.....

Pretty fair I think, if you''re an NCFC true supporter......

[quote user="Mello Yello"]

Personally, I think that any true supporter who couldn''t obtain a ticket for a City game, but intended watching that game at 3pm in one of the boozers;  should faithfully put the amount of money for the price of a ticket of that game they were unable to purchase and attend into a sealed envelope, write on the envelope ''A contribution to canary coffers from an anonymous true fan'' and drop it into the club ticket office mailbox. Before trotting off to the bootleg boozer to watch said game......Then standing in the boozer with a glass of tap-water and a packet of Tesco/Asda salt and vinegar crisps for a 110 or so minutes - but feeling comfortable and humble that at least NCFC aren''t suffering financially.....

Pretty fair I think, if you''re an NCFC true supporter......

[/quote]

Yes, though if Carrow Road is sold out every week, as is expected, that''s not strictly reasonable.Of course, when we play away, maybe we could send the money to clubs with half-full grounds like Wigan, Blackburn, Manchester City...

DannyGIf i were you i wouldnt be shouting too loud chap, if you have "accquired" a sattelite transmission and it isnt SKY itself, you are advertising illegally!SKY Italia is illegal in this country, and most other transmissions you receive from a foreign sattelite is illegal too, only way you can advertise is within your licenced premises or by word of mouth.BEFORE YOU GET ALL WORKED UP AND HATE ME......Im NOT trying to threaten you or anything like that, Im just giving you a heads up, there are people being employed to go round venues and check upon it, and the fines are huge.

So just to clarify, the pubs mentioned will be showing our games at 3pm live and with a pefect picture not a poor stream? If true, the pubs will be rammed and I can''t see why more pubs arn''t doing it if it isn''t illegal.

If the pub or venue is actually signed up to Sky Italia (sky italia box, sky italia card etc) then there isn''t a problem. Rileys and Weatherspoons are currently working out deals to install sky italia in a load of their venues.

Its only if you haven''t paid for Sky Italia and are receiving it that it''s illegal.

That was the whole gist of the Portsmouth ruling. We''re in Europe, so why can''t we buy European products - such as sky italia.

I believe that the Portsmouth pub case is still pending. There has been a provisional European decision in which the Judges indicated that they are tending toward ruling the current rules in violation of the freedom of goods and services across the European free trade area.  Curiously enough the Premier league and broadcasters don''t think much of this and a final ruling is on the way.

I reckon the pubs have seen this and are betting that either the case will go in their favour or that the ruling could take sufficiently long to come through that they will all be able to show games this season without getting stung.

The Peartree in Stevenage showed live games at 3.00 on Saturdays all last season. Used to be Italian feed with Italian commentary, now is feed with English commentary. Advertised on board outside pub and even in ads in local press.

That’s all very nice, but how have NCFC lost out in such a

situation? They couldn''t get a ticket so NCFC would have got nothing from said

''true supporter'' either way.

In respect of the ruling, a European Commission has advised the European Court to rule in Karen Murphy''s favour (the pub landlord in the case against the Premier League).

The court are entitled to ignore the advice, but it is rare that they do and only in exceptional circumstances. Whether pressure from a massive corporation works as "exceptional circumstances" I do not know, but they European Court should rule in Karen Murphy''s favour.

The pubs undertaking this offering are essentially relying on the European Court accepting the advice of the commission. The ruling will then be fed into th High Court in England, where the judge will have no choice but to rule in Karen Murphy''s favour and a precedent will be set that will prevent Sky taking any of these pubs to court.

If the European Court rules against Murphy, then this will be fed to the High Court in England who will make the practice illegal.

I cannot see that happening as it flies in the face of all the free market principles the EU herald. These are principles that even the Iron Lady agreed with.

At the moment, there is no precedent so it cannot be said to be illegal. However, we should get clarification within a few months and it is looking more likely that these pubs are in complete compliance with EU law and they will be free to show the games and free to advertise the matches wherever and whenever they so wish.

The reason there is no widespread advertisement of it at the moment is that the law has yet to be clarified, so it could be embarrassing spreading the word only for the European Court to rule against Karen Murphy and make the practice illegal.