Sign in to follow this  
pete

Sunderland a wonderful place

Sky Sports News interviewed a number of Sunderland signings, all claimed Sunderland was the only team for them. Gardener claimed the City a nice place to live. O''Shea and Brown the only team for us was Sunderland.

Do you believe all that crap or is it because they are prepared topay exhorbitant wages to Utd rejects?

And as for being a wonderful place to live ex Scummer Darren Bent couldn''t get out quick enough, and he actually lived in Scumtown.

I''ve got ratted on newky brown every time I''ve been to Sunderland, one time I was so ratted I had to ask the score the next day.  [:$]

Having lived for 3 years in the North East, I feel I can make an informed comment on this one. It is not a particularly nice City and I think it is no secret they have to pay big wages in order to entice players to the area. Otherwise players will be more inclined to choose London if there is an offer from a club there. However from a purely footballing perspective it is a fantastic opportunity for a player.They are now an established Premiership club again. I never appreciated just how big the city is, with a population of around 280,000. As a result they get very big gates of around 40,000. The facilties are also top notch. The Stadium is very modern and could potentially be expanded to around 60,000. They also have one the best training facilities around called the Academy of Light.

Sunderland a wonderful placeSo is being off your Brad Pitts on a Saturday night, I know which crazy town I''d rather visit.

Having lived in the North East all my life, I''d rather live in Sunderland than Middlesbrough. I''d also rather die by lethal injection than be tortured slowly for months.

Sunderland is not all that bad really. It''s not a historic City, with beautiful buildings etc, so if you went expecting the history, architecture of Norwich, Edinburgh or Newcastle then you''d be disappointed.

Footballing wise it''s not a bad place to go. They are certainly an established Premiership side, however they have struggled with low attendances of late. So much so that Niall Quinn, has, on more than one occasion, made pleas to the fans to turn up on matchday. The latest plea was as a result of local pubs showing Sunderland matches free of charge from foreign satellite links. Some of the fans seem relatively fickle. If the team isn''t doing that well, then attendances can plummet, as they did last season when they went through that really bad run of form.

I actually expected Steve Bruce to have done a bit more at Sunderland, especially considering the money they have spent. However if any Premier league team had 11 players out injured at the same time, as Sunderland did last season, 10 of whom would normally be involved on matchday, then they''d struggle. That aside, Bruce has been a little disappointing for me.

I am bit nostalgic. I like the old stadiums, such as Roker Park, when they were at the hub of the local community. Quite literally, slap bang in the middle of it infact -

[IMG]http://doingthe116.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/roker-park.jpg[/IMG]

Sunderland have never done us much harm indeed in the 80''s and all that friendly stuff with their fans was a nice change from all the violence that you got at games in them times!

I remember when Sunderland used to get regular crowds under 15,000 and their old ground held only just over 20,000.

Yes Sunderland and that area in general is much more populated than Norwich but those that scoff at Carrow Road being increased to 35,000 should look at examples like these!

Sunderland did harm us in the sixties.

They knocked us out of the F.A. Cup once, when we were minnows having a run. Was it quarter finals? Charlie Hurley headed the only goal when we had been all over them for most of the game..

I cannot remember when it was, but believe this was the occasion of Carrow Road''s biggest ever gate @ 43,000, most standing.

As a youngster brought up in the sticks, the Sunderland fans frightened me. I had never before witnessed such fanatiscism or drunkeness. They were everywhere, including the "rafters" of the old South Stand.

I was glad to get home safe and sound.

Three things I can recall about Sunderland (back in the 80''s)

1 away trip being marched past a pub and never seen so many faces pressed up against a window!

Another one when we lost 4-1 and we scored when I just nipped to the loo!

Another when there was only 1 coach load of us(Midweek trip cup tie, I think 0-0) and Newcastle didn''t have a game,so a load of them turned up behind the Home end and ''kicked off'', the Police weren''t fussed about us, and went to sort out the fisticuffs