Sign in to follow this  
lappinitup

Premier League rule change

"The Premier League has changed their rules on so-called ''weakened'' teams.

Top-flight clubs will now be allowed to pick any player in their 25-man matchday squad without fear of sanction from the Premier League.

The 20 Premier League clubs agreed at their AGM in early June that any combination of players named in their registered 25-man squads will be able to start a match."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14166038.stm

Not sure what to think of this. I think I would be gutted if I went to Old Trafford and Lambert put out the second string after all the travelling and expense involved. Or if Andre Villas-Boas fielded a full strength side against us and a weak one a few days later against a team competing with us for survival. Conversely, we could do a Wolves and only play our strongest team in the matches that matter! Something inside me says "it just aint right".

What ever makes you think that any team that Chelsea names would be a ''weak'' team. Realistically, they, Manchester United and Manchester City, with their massive resouces, could field two separate teams that would both finish in the top half of the Premiership.

This change sounds like a good one. At least everyone will now know where they stand with regards to who they can and can''t pick to make up a team.Lapps, I do agree that I would be a bit flat if I went somewhere like Old Trafford, we fielded the reserves and we got hammered. But in the grand scheme of things I think I could live with a few of those if it meant we stayed up and received another £40-odd million which we could use to strengthen the squad.You never know Chelsea might decide to put out eleven fringe players on 27th August and then maybe we''ll only lose by three ( lol )

I don''t think it will be in Lambert''s mindset at all to ever play a ''weakened'' XI.

Sure, there''ll be squad rotation etc but can''t see him sacrificing any game, even though Holloway and McCarthy''s theory does make sense.

Good rule change, was ridiculous that clubs were getting fined for playing players from their submitted 25 man squads.

It''s a very good rule change.

Now all that''s needed is for the number of professionals registered to a club be limited and not just a 25 man squad named. It could also be argued that under 21''s in that squad of 25 could be reduced to under 20''s as more and more youngsters are playing as regulars now.

The trend of the top clubs is to sign up and/or buy as many good quality youngsters as they can, safe in the knowledge that other clubs will develop them for them through the loan system, thus denying smaller clubs the chance of signing quality youngsters.

Wow, the FA have done something correct and in the interest of all the teams?!

Let''s face it, the big teams have been rotating their squads without punishment for over a decade, and rightly so. But last season Wolves and Blackpool were punished for following suit. It was ridiculous.

Now it''s clear managers can use their squad in whatever way they see fit, which is exactly how it should be.

with all due respect, The majority of the premiership teams have people on their bench that would easily get into our side. We could never field a weakened team as we do not have the depth to allow it. I just hope we dont suffer a vast amount of injuries because we just couldnt cope

It was a ridiculous rule.  Who was to say what the best 11 of any team is, other than the manager?  Id you had 25 first team players registered, then they should all be available for selection in any combination.  When Blackpool fielded a team with 10 changes, they were in a run of 4 games in 12 days, other than the coaching staff of the club, who at the FA thinks they have the right to decide which players are fit enough for that schedule?  It was crazy, so about time its changed.

As I see it, all 25 players in your ''squad'' should be challenging for places, therefore the rule was ridiculous anyway!!

[quote user="Jonzey"]Wow, the FA have done something correct and in the interest of all the teams?!

Let''s face it, the big teams have been rotating their squads without punishment for over a decade, and rightly so. But last season Wolves and Blackpool were punished for following suit. It was ridiculous.

Now it''s clear managers can use their squad in whatever way they see fit, which is exactly how it should be.
[/quote]

... absolutely spot on..... I hope that the FA will now refund all of those unjust fines that have been imposed on the smaller clubs.   

[quote user="paul moy"]

[quote user="Jonzey"]Wow, the FA have done something correct and in the interest of all the teams?!

[/quote]

... absolutely spot on..... I hope that the FA will now refund all of those unjust fines that have been imposed on the smaller clubs.   

[/quote]

Slightly (sorry totally) off topic, bu could someone have a word with the Norfolk Cricket Alliance.

we play 8 games a season less following promotion over a season that starts and finishes over the same time frame - why would we need to rest professional athletes?

FTW