Sign in to follow this  
the duke of norfolk

Bradley Johnson. Did he look as average as Leeds fans suggest?

Just wondering if those who went to the Gorleston match can give any feedback on BJ?The Leeds fans seem to think he was average at best and can''t pass for toffee. A slightly more skillful version of Andy Hughes was how one fan described him.What were you initial impressions of him?

Well pretty much the first thing he done when he came on was to skip past 2 or 3 players and hit a left foot shot into the bottom corner from 20yards...this was against Gorleston however.Time will tell but the size of him is enough for me to think he will offer a resiliance within our midfield where its needed. Not the passing range of fox, or the energy of Crofts, but the tenacity and physicality we haven''t had in a midfielder for a while (although Crofts done a fantastic job last season!)

Quality player will be a massive player for us in the coming season imo and will score a lot of goals

[quote user="Ncfc26"]Quality player will be a massive player for us in the coming season imo and will score a lot of goals[/quote]I hope your right. I had been a bit negative about his signing due to the nature of many Leeds fans opinions of him. But, they are a bitter bunch those Leeds fans.

As the first poster said, he didn''t bomb around the pitch as much as Crofts or dictate the tempo and style of our play like Fox does, but he was solid in the center of midfield and certainly doesn''t shy away from a tackle or shot; not forgetting the goal he scored which he created and took very well. I think Bradley Johnson on a free is a great signing for us and could play a vital role this season.

Pretty much what alysha & hogesar said. He looks very strong and created and scored his goal well, but it was Gorleston, so not too much can be read into it.

Funny thing was, i was just telling my brother about the Leeds fans saying about him being a poor passer, and as i said it, his pass went straight to a Gorleston player.

I thought he was the best player on show in the second half. He''s got a bit of midfield steel in the Huddlestone/Essien mould. He was taking pot shots every time he got on the ball. Of all the new signings he stood out. I know it''s only one game and against Gorleston but didn''t think much of Morison. Bennett looks like he''s got plenty of pace and De Laet didn''t have much to do. Vaughan looked bright when he came on, but Johnson looks like being more than just a squad player. I can see us playing Fox and Johnson as holding midfielders in away games, particularly against the bigger clubs.

I remember saying to my mate when he came on the pitch ''bl00dy hell, weve signed one of David Haye''s bouncers here!''. He is very well built, and looks like he will go through any player, without thinking about it. I was slightly concerned about him when we first got him, but after seeing him Saturday, I was slightly encouraged. Yes it was only vs Gorleston, but it doesn''t matter who or where you play, to beat 3 men then to have the vision, skill and focus to finish it into the bottom corner from 20+ yards is a good thing. He has a bit of ''bite'' about him which is one thing we have missed (imagine a better player and less eratic than Darel Russell), and I think he will fit right in with our squad. And before anybody say ''you are only basing this on seeing him against Gorleston'', I have seen him in various games for Leeds and have read different reviews of him, and they all point out his ability to tackle oppostition of any quality without breaking their legs but also shaking them up a bit! Lambert may have just picked up a gem here (who on here rated Crofts, Fox etc 2 years ago?) ILWT

I don''t think there is anything wrong with judging him against Gorleston. You can only beat what is in front of you, and plus I know this game might not but the starting 11 against Wigan is going to be judged on pre season. More so Zaragoza and Parma but nonetheless every player is keen to impress no matter who is playing.

Can someone tell me how Adeyemi, Francomb, Brindley and Dawkin did? Intrigued to hear how some of the youngsters done

Francomb played right back in the first half and got forward loads down the right. I thought it was Russell Martin at first, he did exactly what Russell does week in week out. Looked strong on the ball.

Adeyemi was busy in midfield early on, good to see him in a City shirt again and he had a couple of shots. Didn''t take much notice of Brindley but Dawkin did well down the left in the second half and put in some great crosses. One of them from the left hit the post/bar though I think it was meant as a cross. Not sure which of them will make the 25 man squad, though I suspect there may be a place for Francomb.

As much as the Leeds fans moan about him his appearance record would indicate that he was one of the first names on the team sheet.

Jarroldstander, you are forgetting that none of the young ''uns will actually (need to) be included in the 25 man squad.

They can, of course, be included in the match day squads. It will be a real bonus if some of them eventually come through and can potentially compete for a first team place in the premier league. Your positive review of Francombe''s performance is, therefore, very encouraging. And of course, there is still Korey Smith.

As for the "grown-up" squad: As already discussed, It seems like there may still be a number of spare places in the 25 bearing in mind all the absentees on Saturday seem to be people whose positions were considered to be the most vulnerable. The squad at Gorleston appeared to include all 18 "definites" for the squad, excluding  the explained absences of Drury, Lappin and Pilks, + Wilbrahim. That makes 21-22 who you think, barring loss of form or injury, will (probably) be in the 25.

Difficult to judge him performance wise as it was only the first friendly and against inferior opposition but what I will comment on is his physique. He looks a very uncomplicated player, big, strong, good engine and does the basics well. At Leeds I felt he had a tendency to over do things rather than keeping it simple, hopefully Lambert can get him playing to his strengths.

[quote user="Jarroldstander"]

Francomb played right back in the first half and got forward loads down the right. I thought it was Russell Martin at first, he did exactly what Russell does week in week out. Looked strong on the ball.

Adeyemi was busy in midfield early on, good to see him in a City shirt again and he had a couple of shots. Didn''t take much notice of Brindley but Dawkin did well down the left in the second half and put in some great crosses. One of them from the left hit the post/bar though I think it was meant as a cross. Not sure which of them will make the 25 man squad, though I suspect there may be a place for Francomb.

[/quote]

They won''t have to be in the 25 anyway, I am happy Adeyemi done well, looks a good player and although everyone talks about Cody''s good time in that division I think after a shaky start Adeyemi was brilliant in that league as well. I noticed he put a cross in for Morison''s head.

I think it will be great to have a couple of young guns battling it out for first team place, like George Francomb who I think has a big future at the club.

Johnson looks a very similar player to Lansbury maybe a little more defensively minded.

Was a great strike on Saturday not many premier league goal keepers would have got down to that.

From the reports I saw on Tom Adeyemi he didn''t really impress. There were occasions when he performed but far too often he didn''t.

2 years ago, I felt he was a better prospect than Korey Smith. However it was clear to see when he featured for us that he wasn''t physically ready, his game seems to be about athleticism so when he broke into senior football he couldn''t impose himself and struggled.

He is a year younger than Korey at 19 years old. He does look like he has bulked up so he could make some rapid progress this season. Hopefully we can find a decent loan deal for him, perhaps at a League 1 club and he can develop ahead of the 2012/13 season.

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]From the reports I saw on Tom Adeyemi he didn''t really impress. There were occasions when he performed but far too often he didn''t. 2 years ago, I felt he was a better prospect than Korey Smith. However it was clear to see when he featured for us that he wasn''t physically ready, his game seems to be about athleticism so when he broke into senior football he couldn''t impose himself and struggled. He is a year younger than Korey at 19 years old. He does look like he has bulked up so he could make some rapid progress this season. Hopefully we can find a decent loan deal for him, perhaps at a League 1 club and he can develop ahead of the 2012/13 season.[/quote]

Really? I might have a look on a Bradford Forum see what they think.

I agree he did look a better prospect,  I still think he has a future and agree with another loan spell. Although Adeyemi did have a crap manager at Bradford. Would like to see him at Huddersfield or somewhere with a talented manager.