Sign in to follow this  
BroadstairsR

Norwich & Peterborough Stand.

I read yesterday in the press, perhaps belatedly, that the N & P are liable to be taken over by The Yorkshire Buliding Society (or bank, whatever they call themselves nowadays.)

Will any sponsorship be compromised?

Will the N & P, River End be labelled the "Yorkshire Stand?"

We can''t have that, even though "Peterborough" will be lost forever.

It seems tome the illustrious name of our fine City is gradually losing it''s once pre-eminence in sports grounds throughout the World. Norwich Union was publiicsed at most internation cricket games as amatter of course and at a lot of soccer grounds from, league games in the UK to Champions League grounds on a  big night. It''s banners were even to be seem at World Cups, Wimbledon Tennis,  the Tour De France, F1 and Athletics, along with table tennis, darts, snooker, Black Country pipe-smoking and dozens of other pretigious  events Worldwide.

I believe that they were once the second largest Insurance/Assurance Companies in the World after, Canada Life so this level of advertising, was not suprising. Aiming such a lot of it towards sports fans was revolutionay, as along wth Coca Cola, (oh! and Players cigarettes who in the late forties and fifties,  claimed that fags were supposed to assist in breathing, saturating of events in this way was new. I made me proud as a younster to see my City so prominent.

Aviva being plastered and advertised everywhere is not the same. The link with Norwich is graduully rased from the mermory and the City is no longer prominent..and not brought the genral public''s and World Wide public''s attention , the way it once was. This must be to the detriment of tourism and inward investment.

I looks likely soon that we will no more have our own  City''s name on any of our ownstands. Shame. It has been the case before, when advertsiing and TV coverage were less to the forefront.

I suppose we do have Delia and Stephen now. Make a canary Pie for Witrose, Delia. Bring up a canary topic on QI., Stephen

Come on McNulty, Lambert & Holt get that name recognised on the footbal  field via amazing wins and exciting cup runs. Come on travelling fans, behave, be respected, be good anbassadors and give the team your usual excellent support.

Although the company is being taken over, they are still going to be operating under the ''Norfolk and Peterborough'' brand name, and the stand will therefore not need renaming ;)

[quote user="marvin the martian"]It will always be the riverend to me[/quote]

That won''t wash these days. It''s not a brand name!

The nearest I can think of is "River Island." Will that do?

The River Island Stand has a nice ring about it.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]The River Island Stand has a nice ring about it.[/quote]So has my anus but they wouldn''t name a stand after it.Mind you they did name one of the stands after Colin Bell so you could refer to that as the Bell End.

It could be named anything and the happy clappies will use it, as long as it has a corporate sponsor''s name attached to it

Aviva City FC

[quote user="AJ Wizard"]Although the company is being taken over, they are still going to be operating under the ''Norfolk and Peterborough'' brand name, and the stand will therefore not need renaming ;)[/quote]Yes, but only for two years will they be operating under the N & P banner.

We had some post from N&P recently, believe it stated that the name would be changed gradually over an 18 month period, not sure exactly what they mean, maybe it''s something like this (tongue firmly in cheek for those who don''t get my humor)...Norwich and PeterboroughNorwich, Peterborough and YorkshireNorwich and YorkshireYorkshire