Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

Live Commentary only on Canary Player!

I think, although not 100% sure, that radio commentary of Football League and Premier League matches is one of the rights protected by the Government for the BBC. Meaning that they will always have the right to commentate on matches on the radio (although the internet is a different matter hence Radio Norfolk cutting out as soon as the game begins if listened to online). I also shouldn''t imagine the club can individually sell of the rights to radio commentary as it would be covered by the Premier League''s group negotiations - and I haven''t heard anything about the rights changing.

I think Canary Player means the only place online to get the commentary.

Why worry about listening to the commentary online, when you can very easily watch every single Norwich game online this coming season. Unfortunately my circumstances make it impossible for me to get to Carrow Rd this season, so I know what I''ll be doing instead. ;-)

[quote user="Francesco Volpe"]Why worry about listening to the commentary online, when you can very easily watch every single Norwich game online this coming season. Unfortunately my circumstances make it impossible for me to get to Carrow Rd this season, so I know what I''ll be doing instead. ;-)[/quote]

That''s illegal though [:$]

[quote user="Larry David"]

[quote user="Francesco Volpe"]Why worry about listening to the commentary online, when you can very easily watch every single Norwich game online this coming season. Unfortunately my circumstances make it impossible for me to get to Carrow Rd this season, so I know what I''ll be doing instead. ;-)[/quote]

That''s illegal though [:$]

[/quote]it is to stream it.. it isnt to watch it!

Well if you do choose to watch them, remember you''re killing sport and contributing to the downfall of society [8-)]

Although most will be online, there will no doubt be occasions where some are not( Cup games ?), so I would have it as a form of insurance for the sake of 3 quid a month. In addition I find live scores, stats, table updates, a few twitters and news features are also good attributes of the service. 

Or you could watch it live in 3d surround sound with the fans noise as the commentary at Carrow Road!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Like I said, if I could be at Carrow Rd week in week out then I would in a heartbeat!! Unfortunately I''m not in a position to do so, which means the only way I can see at least the majority of games is through other sources on t''internet.

[quote user="Larry David"]

Well if you do choose to watch them, remember you''re killing sport and contributing to the downfall of society [8-)]

[/quote]Bit extreme, footy really doesn''t play a major role in the lives of many people in any country, plenty of people are perfectly happy without following it at all. If enough people start watching for free online you could argue that they are saving sport in the long term. The sport has been in a bubble for a long time, and if it bursts it won''t be the fans who are to blame. This goes back to ticket prices, which are the direct result of footballing expenses, which are themselves the direct result of sky money and a lack of regulation. If football goes bust I will be blaming the FA, UEFA and FIFA, not the person who watches a bit of footy online. They have had ample opportunity to introduce wage caps. They do it in other countries. If we didn''t rely on dirty Murdoch money, which we didn''t 20 years ago, then we wouldn''t need to worry about how people watch the game. It''s not like Carrow Road is going to have an empty seat this year anyway, so it means diddly squat in the short term. To suggest that the customer would be to blame for the fall of an industry for refusing to buy a product is ludicrious, you have to price that product correctly. In addition, the fact that Premier League games are broadcast world over is the only reason why the sport has so much money in it now anyway. Man Utd wouldn''t have their global franchises without cheap TV access, doubt many bars in China and Thailand would be paying anything at all to show games, and if they are paying it would be pennies on each pound that British bars and sky subscribers have to spend!Same with the music industry argument. Does a song being uploaded to YouTube and getting 1 million hits mean 1 million lost customers, or does it mean 1 million people hearing a song that they wouldn''t otherwise have heard, and 20000 of them buying the album?

I took what Larry said to be a joke. The only thing that is killing football is sky high footballers'' wages which FFP will sort out.  

[quote user="paul moy"]I took what Larry said to be a joke. The only thing that is killing football is sky high footballers'' wages which FFP will sort out.  [/quote]I didn''t take it as a joke, but maybe your right? I have no idea what FFP stands for though? After seeing Dispatches the other day, you could argue that the problems are going much further! I reckon they should not only a wage cap, but also a rule over where surplus cash goes too. If people are looking to triple their investment on a football club etc, then they should cap profits. A certain amount should go towards ground development, perhaps. Then each owner has to leave a legacy if the club is making money. Some crap grounds out there which could do with a facelift. Or perhaps limiting ticket prices, as an alternative. If limiting players wages just results in more money for anonymous owners, then we are only going to see a shift from overpaid players to overpaid chairmen and secret owners. I hate the culture of mediocre players becoming millionaires by 22, but I probably rather have thick people spending money and putting it back into the economy than Chinese owners taking the money to China.

BBC Radio Norfolk have commentary rights for this season but as it stands, this is the last year of their deal. They are in negotiations with the club at the moment to extend it - I doubt the club will go down the route of ''online only'' commentary seeing as half of the county as poor internet speeds. As for the BBC having rights on all Premier League club commentry - that isn''t correct, the rights can be sold as the club wishes (eg: I believe Manchester United''s commentary is shared by a couple of commercial stations in that area)

[quote user="KingsLynnCanary"]BBC Radio Norfolk have commentary rights for this season but as it stands, this is the last year of their deal. They are in negotiations with the club at the moment to extend it - I doubt the club will go down the route of ''online only'' commentary seeing as half of the county as poor internet speeds. As for the BBC having rights on all Premier League club commentry - that isn''t correct, the rights can be sold as the club wishes (eg: I believe Manchester United''s commentary is shared by a couple of commercial stations in that area)[/quote]Oh really? That''s very interesting - seeing as how fiercely the Premier League protects the group bargaining for TV rights rather than allowing clubs to do it on an individual basis (like Spain). Should imagine that Radio Norfolk are almost a certainty to get the rights due to lack of competition from other stations - not like Radio Norwich will have much chance to fight them.