Sign in to follow this  
BlyBlyBabes

Are there really more women & children at matches these days than before?

Judging by the old Pathe News clips of City''s legendary 1958-59 FA Cup run matches I think that there is a strong prima facie case to challenge this notion.

Have a look at the crowd scenes from the clips -sample starting reference:           http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=35679

Perhaps a close examination of this factor would show that what has really happened is a return of women and children as spectators at matches after a decline caused by the hooliganism of the 1970s and 1980s?

(Pathe clips of England matches at Wembley from the same era would seem to support this thesis)

OTBC

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]

You know, you may have a point there.

Wrong Forum BTW, this should be in "Other Football".

[/quote]

Blimey I''ve just fallen through a black hole into pedant corner!

[quote user="Lord Horn"][quote user="Joanna Grey"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

And how did you manage to ''just'' get to this Black Hole seeing as the nearest to us is about 1,600 light years away? And did you really ''fall'' into it or did the massive gravitational pull not affect you? And I do believe said massive gravitational pull would have compressed you to a very small lump indeed meaning your chances of arriving in "Pedant Corner" (wherever that may be) alive are slim to say the least. And they have not got the internet there so how are you posting on this Board?

[quote user="Joanna Grey"][quote user="Lord Horn"][quote user="Joanna Grey"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

And how did you manage to ''just'' get to this Black Hole seeing as the nearest to us is about 1,600 light years away? And did you really ''fall'' into it or did the massive gravitational pull not affect you? And I do believe said massive gravitational pull would have compressed you to a very small lump indeed meaning your chances of arriving in "Pedant Corner" (wherever that may be) alive are slim to say the least. And they have not got the internet there so how are you posting on this Board?

[/quote]

*IRONY ALERT* *IRONY ALERT*

[quote user="Joanna Grey"][quote user="Lord Horn"][quote user="Joanna Grey"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Not that I''m bored or anything, but I have to join you with the pedantry Joanna. I think the sentance he was looking for would be:

''Blimey, I''ve just passed through a wormhole into Pedant Corner''.

Wormholes being theorectical connections between seperate places in spacetime, whereas blackholes are actual collapsed stars with inescapable gravity fields.

Lord Horn is an old china hand, set him loose with 5 guineas in his pocket and he can slip through any tight space known to man.

If he says it was a black hole he would know.

I think it should be remembered that in those times there was no Equal Oppotunities Act and many clubs did offer lower prices to women as it was mostly an all male sport - both in players and spectators.

In that light a fair number of cheapskates would put their wifes clothes on and go to games. A number would put their wifes clothes on and not go to games, but that is another matter.

There was also the fact that children didn''t develop so early in those days and many of those ''kids'' you can see were probably in the late teens or jockeys from Newmarket who were also frequently in attendance at games.

Two things I would add is has anyone seen anyone wearing a rosette at a game ? And would the club allow kids to take rattles to the games. now ?

Both are long due a return in my opinion.

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

Judging by the old Pathe News clips of City''s legendary 1958-59 FA Cup run matches I think that there is a strong prima facie case to challenge this notion.

Have a look at the crowd scenes from the clips -sample starting reference:           http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=35679

Perhaps a close examination of this factor would show that what has really happened is a return of women and children as spectators at matches after a decline caused by the hooliganism of the 1970s and 1980s?

(Pathe clips of England matches at Wembley from the same era would seem to support this thesis)

OTBC

My Grandmother regularly watched Norwich between the 50''s and the 70''s, and my Mother also regularly attended in the 70''s. And I''ve taken girlfriends to watch matches, so all in all my family have done their bit for the diversification of the crowd at Norwich.

[/quote]

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]Judging by the old Pathe News clips of City''s legendary 1958-59 FA Cup run matches I think that there is a strong prima facie case to challenge this notion.

[/quote]Who has actually said there are more women at matches now?

And does it really matter?

[quote user="Jonzey"][quote user="Joanna Grey"][quote user="Lord Horn"][quote user="Joanna Grey"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Not that I''m bored or anything, but I have to join you with the pedantry Joanna. I think the sentance he was looking for would be:

Wormholes being theorectical connections between seperate places in spacetime, whereas blackholes are actual collapsed stars with inescapable gravity fields.

[/quote]It''s a shame your pedantry doesn''t extend to spelling to the same extent as astronomy...*sentence*theoretical*separate

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]Judging by the old Pathe News clips of City''s legendary 1958-59 FA Cup run matches I think that there is a strong prima facie case to challenge this notion.

[/quote]

(a)  Who has actually said there are more women at matches now?

(b)  And does it really matter?

[/quote]

Now here posts a founder member of the pedants union.

Answers:

(a)  The World and his Wife

(b)  Yes. Particularly to a proud family and community club such as ours*.

One love.

OTBC

* Of course, that''s assuming that you are a shareholder like myself

[quote user="Coelho"][quote user="Jonzey"][quote user="Joanna Grey"][quote user="Lord Horn"][quote user="Joanna Grey"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
It''s a shame your pedantry doesn''t extend to spelling to the same extent as astronomy...

*sentence
*theoretical
*separate
[/quote]

Ha ha, touche! Excellent pedantry Coelho.

what a nice website that britishpathe.com is.. News from times past before the days of phone hacking etc... a posh chap reading every word perfectly and history preserved for generations!Just watched a video of stills from Norwich in 1970.... the city has actually changed little it seems!

I''m interested in City1st''s Newmarket jockey and cross-dresser theory. As a woman who goes to football matches, I would like to know who the jockeys and cross-dressers are, just for my personal amusement. Do you think some of the jockeys could also be cross-dressing? It would look more realistic as jockeys are generally small-boned, as they say here in Lancashire.

The comments were directed to behaviour as shown by pictures from way back, not now

Do keep up, dear

[quote user="City1st"]The comments were directed to behaviour as shown by pictures from way back, not now Do keep up, dear[/quote]

?

OTBC

I was simply developing a theme. I like the idea of cross-dressing jockeys, it would add a splash of colour with those nice silks on their hats and matching dresses.