Sign in to follow this  
row

Willis on 2 week trial from Dereham

After impressing at Carrow Road for Dereham in the Norfolk senior cup semi final against Norwich, then again in the Final of the competition, where he scored, in front of chief scout Ewan Chester in May, Ollie Willis is currently undertaking a 2 week trial at Colney. It will be familiar surroundings to the 25 year old full back having spent most of his youth career at the club. http://www.ex-canaries.co.uk/players/willis.htm

With all due respect to someone who plays for my hometown club, why would Norwich be interested in a 25 year old playing in the Ridgeons Premier? 10 tiers is a very long jump up in level.

I went to school with Ollie in Stratton, good player always thought he''d make it, maybe his lack of height was a problem.

Previous poster has hit the nail on the head.  Ollie is too short - probablyy around 5ft 6.

He played in the City youth team that lost at Old Trafford in the FA Youth Cup about 7 or 8 years ago.

I have been watching him play for Dereham for the last 4 yaers.  He is way too good for the Ridgeons League but the Premier League is several steps too far for him.  Are we simply looking for a right back to fill in at Reserve level?

On a positive note, he played so well against Hucks a few years ago in a pre season friendly that DH threw his toys out of the pram

Ah, the old hes too small argument.

Someone get Lionel Messi on the phone, tell him hes not going to make it.

If your good enough, your tall enough.

Exactly my point, height hasnt stopped him. Imagine if Messi would have grown up in England, he would probabl;y have been told he was small and wouldnt have made it.

The only thing that will stop this kid making it is if hes not good enough, not his height.

So you''re telling me a lack of height doesn''t come with any drawbacks to a players game?

As a full back its a fairly big issue, I know for a start Grant Holt would have a field day against the majority of full backs if they were all 5ft 6".

Lionel Messi is an astonishingly talented player that more than makes up for his lack of height but not all players have the talent to do so.

[quote user="CDMullins"]

Exactly my point, height hasnt stopped him. Imagine if Messi would have grown up in England, he would probabl;y have been told he was small and wouldnt have made it.

The only thing that will stop this kid making it is if hes not good enough, not his height.

[/quote]

I am fairly certain that any footballer, no matter how skillful, would not make it as a centre back if he was 5''2" (that''s about 1.5 metres in new money).

Kevin Keelan was leftfooted. Luckily for him he didn''t have to rely on some of you lot for a career!

A second chance at 25 - the lad must be over the moon.

Good call Lambo.

Good luck Ollie.

OTBC

The Inter Milan full back Yuto Nagatomo is 5ft 7in and is regarded one of the best up and coming full backs in the world. Having said that a player needs a lot of ability to make up for a lack of height. Is this guy really on trial? Surely he would have been playing tonight if the club wanted a look at him.

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]So you''re telling me a lack of height doesn''t come with any drawbacks to a players game? As a full back its a fairly big issue, I know for a start Grant Holt would have a field day against the majority of full backs if they were all 5ft 6". Lionel Messi is an astonishingly talented player that more than makes up for his lack of height but not all players have the talent to do so.[/quote]

The only positions that require height are goalkeepers and centre halfs.

Some of the best full-backs of all time have been ''small''

The only draw back of ''been small'' is not been able to jump as high for an header. Althought I played with one young black lad that must have been 5''5 and he could leap as high as anyone I have ever seen and getting as high as centre halfs 2 foot taller than him.

[quote user="Bore Bore Bor"][quote user="CDMullins"]

[/quote]

I am fairly certain that any footballer, no matter how skillful, would not make it as a centre back if he was 5''2" (that''s about 1.5 metres in new money).

[/quote]

He''s not 5''2 though is he? Or a centre back?

So the only thing that will stop him from making it, is whether he is good enough or not!

Ollie Willis.

I''m sure he''s the son of the much missed Ron Willis that had a shop in the city called Ron''s Reptiles back in the late 80''s/early 90''s? Anyone know?

[quote user="Alex "]Ollie Willis.

I''m sure he''s the son of the much missed Ron Willis that had a shop in the city called Ron''s Reptiles back in the late 80''s/early 90''s? Anyone know?[/quote]

Scrap that question, just looked in my old address book and that was Ron Wells, not Willis - It''s been a while!

[quote user="CDMullins"]

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]So you''re telling me a lack of height doesn''t come with any drawbacks to a players game? As a full back its a fairly big issue, I know for a start Grant Holt would have a field day against the majority of full backs if they were all 5ft 6". Lionel Messi is an astonishingly talented player that more than makes up for his lack of height but not all players have the talent to do so.[/quote]

The only draw back of ''been small'' is not been able to jump as high for an header. Althought I played with one young black lad that must have been 5''5 and he could leap as high as anyone I have ever seen and getting as high as centre halfs 2 foot taller than him.

[/quote]Darren Kenton springs to mind... pun intended [;)]

"Althought I played with one young black lad that must have been 5''5 and he could leap as high as anyone I have ever seen and getting as high as centre halfs 2 foot taller than him."

Blimey, those seven foot five players would have made Crouch and OTJ seem titchy.

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]Getting back on topic, is there any proof at all that this story is actually true?[/quote]I just logged on to say precisely that, you beat me to it. Can''t see the point in discussing his height when this has clearly been made up, probably to the amusement of Mr Willis himself. My money is on a mate of his doing it for a laugh, maybe a Dereham team mate or something. Bet he is finding the texts and facebook messages funny nonetheless, "what''s this bout you signing for City mate?", if I were him I''d play along with it for a bit, lol.I heard Adrian Coote is available? Got zero pace, but I''ve always seen him as somebody tall enough to be a keeper. We could train him up and shove him on the bench, Rudd can go out on loan?

[quote user="CDMullins"]

I played with one young black lad that must have been 5''5

[/quote]

Why was it significant that he was black?

[quote user="SPat"][quote user="CDMullins"]

[/quote] Why was it significant that he was black?[/quote]

Hmmmm, what significance is your avatar?

[img]http://cdn.cyclingforums.com/d/de/deed6784_what-choo-talkin-bout-willis.jpg[/img]

Did Willis play against Wroxham last night? Both wing backs were fairly short (one white - no. 3, one black - no. 2) if he was number two he was very good but number 3 was good at times and very average at other times.

[quote user="SPat"][quote user="CDMullins"]

Get a grip

[quote user="Joanna Grey"][quote user="SPat"][quote user="CDMullins"]

Hmmmm, what significance is your avatar?

[/quote]

Surprised you don''t recognise the picture, go and find a shiny object

[quote user="CDMullins"][quote user="SPat"][quote user="CDMullins"]

Get a grip

[/quote]

Think you need to work out the answer before replying again