Sign in to follow this  
Dicky

Season ticket rebates

Of course it could be argued that the number of supporters who asked for thier rebate concentrated the boards mind after Gunn''s disasterous start. They were steering at a mass exedous of support the following year if we didn''t show signs of improvement and took decisive action.

[quote user="Row D Seat 7"]I kept my rebate money. Not ashamed of that fact. It''s easy for people to sit back now and have a go at people like myself for that, but why shouldn''t have kept my rebate money?! It came in handy, the club had just been relegated, I''d been a season ticket holder for seven years at that point so the club had had plenty of my money already. I stand by my decision.[/quote]

Totally agree with this.

I kept my rebate money too. I paid a third division price for third division football, as agreed by the club.

Just because Gunn said it, it must be true.  FFS we were successful just because what? the equivalent of a child''s paper-round money went back to the club.  **** off, the club was lucky that 20,000 + fans stuck it out in League 1 that''s more likely why.

OK so many of those who took their rebate have chosen to put one particular spin on this here is another scenario.

No one took their rebate; Gunn signed another couple of players and we lost say 3-1 to Colchester on the opening day. The board feel all is right with the world as the fans have backed their decision to appoint Gunn by returning their rebate. We stumble along in the lower reaches of League one with Gunn finally getting sacked around February. Grant Holt leaves during the close season and Ian Butterworth is appointed manager. Meanwhile Paul Lambert replaces Roy Keane as Ipswich Manager ...

I could go on but the truth is we will never know what would have happened if everyone had returned their rebate it''s called chaos theory.

Didn''t Foulger say at the time that the money was used to bring in Grant Holt, this was said before all of Holts success as well. For everyone that didn''t claim the rebate, you have played a major part in helping this football club reach the Premier League again. For the people that didn''t, that''s fair enough but some people on here have to admit that at the time they were wrong to slate all the people that didn''t claim the rebate and largely thanks to them we will all be enjoying Premiership football next year.

All people who continued to fund the club have contributed to the success of the club. Those who did not take the rebate have contributed more. Those who advoacated reducing the funds available to the club in anyway had anything other than an adverse impact on the club are delusional and in denial but then they are now history.

I took my rebate, the club deserved to be punished, as fans we stuck with them and they failed us again and again.  I still kept my season ticket, so the club still had a fair whack from me for League One football.  The board needed to be sent a message, it''s as simple as that.

[quote user="lappinitup"]

[quote user="TIL 1010"]Move on everybody and get over the rebate issue as Wigan is on the horizon.

[/quote]Er, weren''t you the voice of NCISA at the time who was calling for fans to take the rebate? Now you want people to forget it! No wonder Crafty and Tangy have put you in charge of the Lunatic Tendency! [;)]

[/quote]The worm has turned. Has the grinder kicked you off the organ?

[quote user="crafty canary"][quote user="lappinitup"]

[quote user="TIL 1010"]Move on everybody and get over the rebate issue as Wigan is on the horizon.

[/quote]Er, weren''t you the voice of NCISA at the time who was calling for fans to take the rebate? Now you want people to forget it! No wonder Crafty and Tangy have put you in charge of the Lunatic Tendency! [;)]

[/quote]

The worm has turned. Has the grinder kicked you off the organ?
[/quote]

Get over yourself Crafty as you are soooooooo wide of the mark it is laughable.We missed you so much something had to be done to get the Brothers Grim back on the messageboard.

[quote user="crafty canary"][quote user="lappinitup"]

[/quote]

The worm has turned. Has the grinder kicked you off the organ?

[/quote]I love it! Sprat to catch a mackerel! [:D]

The brothers Grimm.....Tangible and Gullible. [:D]

[quote user="T"]All people who continued to fund the club have contributed to the success of the club. Those who did not take the rebate have contributed more. [/quote]Well I''ve been contributing financially to the club since 1972 but took the rebate and sent the club a polite letter telling them exactly why I was not prepared to waive the difference.** Are you saying that I haven''t contributed to the success of the club as much as a twenty something year old who didn''t take the rebate?** Since the two men mentioned by name in my letter both left the club within months of my letter am I not just as vindicated in claiming that my written refusal to waive the rebate and the citing of Doomcaster and Gunn as the reason was actually far more effective in turning around the fortune of the club? Baseless twisting of events after the fact can work both ways so all those who took the rebate give yourselves a hearty slap on the back because you were responsible for the departure of Gunn and Doomy and the arrival of Lambert, McNally and co.I''d be interested to hear stirrinitups views on whether it would have been equitable to take the rebate if this had happened 15 years ago when Chase was in charge. I get the impression it was ok to deprive the club of cash in ''96 to force Chase out but it''s a different set of rules for delia.

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="lappinitup"]

[/quote]

It would seem to me that the lunatic tendency is off the leash and busy deleting threads and posts incorporating all but the mildest banter - without even the decency to send automated email notifications.

Sad. Very sad.

OTBC

[/quote]

The Lunatic Tendency has held a conference call this evening and we think that what you are trying to say in your usual obtuse,obscure way is that you have had a post deleted which you think was as a result of one of us bleating to Peter The Deleter and he did not send you notification with an explaination as to why.Well let me just say that if that is the case you are way off beam.If we have misunderstood your post could you please explain in straightforward english what you mean,

[quote user="T"]All people who continued to fund the club have contributed to the success of the club. Those who did not take the rebate have contributed more. Those who advoacated reducing the funds available to the club in anyway had anything other than an adverse impact on the club are delusional and in denial but then they are now history.[/quote]

What a loada billy bollox......

[quote user="Mello Yello"]

[quote user="T"]All people who continued to fund the club have contributed to the success of the club. Those who did not take the rebate have contributed more. Those who advoacated reducing the funds available to the club in anyway had anything other than an adverse impact on the club are delusional and in denial but then they are now history.[/quote]

[/quote]

[Y]

I''ve never completely understood the criticism of people who took a reduction, that was an integral part of the deal for early renewal. The fact is that everyone that took the discount , by definition, remained loyal to the Club. I renewed mine and my sons, on the understanding that if we dropped to the third division I would pay third division prices BUT I would still buy my tickets. I also think you have to recall just how dire the whole club had become, and dragging myself up the A11 was not easy.

Surely if there was a gripe (which there shouldn''t be- people can do whatever they like), it should be with people that walked away? 

I don''t consider those who did or didn''t take the rebate to be better/worse than each other, we''re all supporters and did what was right for us. My overriding opinion is that the rebate shenanigans was a bad situation created by the the club, one that they will hopefully never repeat as it was always likely to set supporters against each other....and is clearly still doing so. Fwiw, I didn''t take it, but that wasn''t from some moral standpoint, it was because I couldn''t decide and then ended up leaving it too late - simple as that!

[quote user="Buckethead"]

Well I''ve been contributing financially to the club since 1972 but took the rebate and sent the club a polite letter telling them exactly why I was not prepared to waive the difference.** Are you saying that I haven''t contributed to the success of the club as much as a twenty something year old who didn''t take the rebate?

** Since the two men mentioned by name in my letter both left the club within months of my letter am I not just as vindicated in claiming that my written refusal to waive the rebate and the citing of Doomcaster and Gunn as the reason was actually far more effective in turning around the fortune of the club?
 Baseless twisting of events after the fact can work both ways so all those who took the rebate give yourselves a hearty slap on the back because you were responsible for the departure of Gunn and Doomy and the arrival of Lambert, McNally and co.

[/quote]

---

Buckethead, I''m impressed but a bit confused by this claim about your letter. You saying it had its effect (Doncaster leaving) months later doesn''t seem to fit in with the chronology, which is as follows:

The day we got relegated (May 3) Smith and Jones said there would be changes made. Nine days later (May 12) the announcement was made that Munby and Doncaster had left, although I was sure (a 99 per cent certainty) as early as May 8 that there were boardroom changes. It was just that they hadn''t been announced. And in the meantime Gunn had been confirmed as manager, and very shortly afterwards the search had started for a new chairman and a chief executive.

To waive or not waive the rebate only became an issue at all once we were relegated and arguably really only once Foulger made his pound-for-pound offer at the end of May. And, as outlined above, the crucial decisions were made virtually immediately after relegation. Any post-relegation letter you wrote explaining why you weren''t waiving can hardly have been influential.

This is not to attack you particularly. More to make the general point that there was simply no time for the public debate on the rebate to have affected the boardroom changes. It is just possible Smith and Jones were aware that making decisive changes might then tempt people to waive the rebate, but that can hardly have been a major consideration. In big-picture terms the rebate question was not significant.

Of course Gunn - having been kept in place - was sacked months later, so you can clearly take credit for that. Some uninformed commentators might have attributed that to McNally and 7-1 but historians will vindicate you!

Quite right Purple Canary, I too have supported NCFC since 1972, going to away games with about a hundred others { not all my mates }, in the early days when we had more chance of the coaches breaking down then us winning!! but I''am still season ticket holder & will be when all the new wide boys & glory hunters have gone! & yes I took my rebate as well.

needed the money... took the money! if the club didnt like it.. Tough!Over 20 years supporting the club i shudder to think how much i have given them... a few quid back in my pocket was welcomed.

I took the rebate money as that was the deal offered when I bought my season ticket. I also bought shares when the On digital telly deal went bad the reason ;

The club could do nothing about the on digital deal so was left in a difficult position so I chose to help them out.

The relegation was due to some very poor executive decisions and I didn''t feel that was my duty to put this right  -I renewed my season ticket so in doing so showed my support for the club/team.

If it makes all the rebate non taker feel superior to think they turned our club around then I can live with that.

[quote user="The Great Drinkell"]

I took the rebate money as that was the deal offered when I bought my season ticket. I also bought shares when the On digital telly deal went bad the reason ;

The club could do nothing about the on digital deal so was left in a difficult position so I chose to help them out.

The relegation was due to some very poor executive decisions and I didn''t feel that was my duty to put this right  -I renewed my season ticket so in doing so showed my support for the club/team.

If it makes all the rebate non taker feel superior to think they turned our club around then I can live with that.

[/quote]

[y]

I asked for a rebate, got the dosh and I''m still convinced that was the right thing to do!

The whole rebate episode 2 summers ago was badly handled. Afterall how many season ticket holders only purchased their ticket cause they were offered a rebate?    - The answer to that is probably very few.

At least 95% of season ticket holders would of renewed regardless of the ill thought out emotional blackmail which is basically what the rebate was!

The reason I didn''t let the club keep my rebate is cause over the years I have given the club thousands of pounds of my money through ticket sales from watching the club home and away as well as friendlies, reserve games and youth games, buying over priced food and drink in the ground, numurous club merchandise, getting a couple or three holidays through the now defunct travel Norwich City, buying various tickets for various NCFC lotteries and in 2004 and the next year not cashing in dividend cheques from my NCFC shares to enable the club to purchase Huckerby and Ashton and finally going to various non football related functions at the ground where the club gained the profits.

I think I''ve more than done my bit for the club so to see the club sink into the 3rd tier for the 1st time in 49 years through bad decision making by an underperforming board, there was no way I was going to give the club my rebate and I''m still proud I made that decision!

Although Gunnys not part of the club, he still loves it and is still a perfectly honed PR expert. I''m sure the rebate money came in handy but look at it this way - look at the money the club wasted on Theoklitis, Tudor Jones and Whalley that summer. None of them 3 done much for the 1st team so we could have done without them and we''re still paying Tudor Jones now!

[quote user="stewfil"]I know this is all friendly banter and that TIL, Lap, Crafty and Tangie all get together after the games and have a few beers together, laughing about how they all wound up the other members of this board. Tell me I''m right![/quote]

A large group of us do meet before and after games but Crafty and Tangie are well let''s just say Crafty and Tangie.[:|]

Hysterical nonsense from those stupid enough to trust a board of directors who had just employed Bryan Gunn as a football manager with their money... [:$]Say no more!

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

[quote user="stewfil"]I know this is all friendly banter and that TIL, Lap, Crafty and Tangie all get together after the games and have a few beers together, laughing about how they all wound up the other members of this board. Tell me I''m right![/quote]

A large group of us do meet before and after games but Crafty and Tangie are well let''s just say Crafty and Tangie.[:|]

[/quote]Well, I am rather particular about those I drink with. Fanny magnet fantasies are of no interest to me.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

Buckethead, I''m impressed but a bit confused by this claim about your letter. You saying it had its effect (Doncaster leaving) months later doesn''t seem to fit in with the chronology, which is as follows:

The day we got relegated (May 3) Smith and Jones said there would be changes made. Nine days later (May 12) the announcement was made that Munby and Doncaster had left, although I was sure (a 99 per cent certainty) as early as May 8 that there were boardroom changes. It was just that they hadn''t been announced. And in the meantime Gunn had been confirmed as manager, and very shortly afterwards the search had started for a new chairman and a chief executive.

[/quote]

Purple Canary,

The announcement, reported by Archant was that Roger Munby and Neil Doncaster had a change of ROLE. If both were terminated from their directorships then I am under the impression that there would not have been a quorum for board meetings of NCFC Plc.

Furthermore Companies House has a date of 26/6/09 for Roger Munby''s form 288b and 20/7/09 for Neil Doncaster''s form 288b. 

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]

I asked for a rebate, got the dosh and I''m still convinced that was the right thing to do!

At least 95% of season ticket holders would of renewed regardless of the ill thought out emotional blackmail which is basically what the rebate was!

I think I''ve more than done my bit for the club so to see the club sink into the 3rd tier for the 1st time in 49 years through bad decision making by an underperforming board, there was no way I was going to give the club my rebate and I''m still proud I made that decision!

.............. I''m sure the rebate money came in handy but look at it this way - look at the money the club wasted on Theoklitis, Tudor Jones and Whalley that summer. None of them 3 done much for the 1st team so we could have done without them and we''re still paying Tudor Jones now!

[/quote]

If I remember correctly the last Annual Report of NCFC referred to £450k being used to pay off players and £100k compensation to Gunn for loss of office.

Then there were rumours that  the transfer fees for Whalley was £150k and £250k (on promotion) for Tudor Jones.

Add that to the wages of Maric, McVeigh, Whalley, Tudor Jones, Hughes, etc.

Would you say the rebates and Mr. Foulgers matching funds were wisely used?  I don''t think so.

[quote user="Mello Yello"]

[/quote]

Spot on Mello Yello.

The roughly two thirds of season ticket holders who took their rebates should be thanked for renewing their season tickets despite the club being relegated to the third tier of football for the first time in 50 years. Without their millions what do you think would have happened to the club?

[quote user="Dicky"]Interesting article whereby Gunn puts a lot of our recent success down to the money we had available due to those season ticket holders who didn''t claim their rebate.

I remember at the time certain posters branding us that didn''t take up the rebate, idiots, Delia lovers etc. Just wondered if those that were so vocal about taking the rebates have seen the error of their ways and are prepared to say so?[/quote]Well, I still believe claiming my rebate back was the right thing to do.  At the time, I didn''t want to reward failure and had no confidence in the direction of the club at board level, or in the manager appointed to lead the team.  I wanted to let the club know this, and taking the rebate was the best way to do so given their reluctance to engage in debate or discussion and the lack of appetite for protests.It would seem David McNally shared my view and that of people who claimed their rebates for the above reasons.  It is McNally and Lambert who deserve huge credit for turning the club''s fortunes round and neither were anything to do with the rebate money.  Without either we''d have done sod all with or without Grant Holt and would likely still be in League One and looking forward to another Johnstone''s Paint Trophy game.