Sign in to follow this  
Bryangunnshairline

advice on flying back to the nest please

sorry its not football related, I just wanted some advice on moving to norwich. I grew up just outside norwich and left in my late teens to join the army (since left). I am a season ticket holder and live 3 hours away but have the opportunity to move back to the city in the next 6 ish months due to my current job.

I have been looking online at places to live. I was looking at the sprowston, old catton and thorpe st andrew areas on the east side of the city. Are these good areas?

what i need: a nice area with a nice neighbourhood, i dont want to hear half the streets husbands are currently locked up! and youths drinking in the streets at stupid o''clock.

good schools as i have a 6 year old. I believe the areas mentioned schools are good.???

good buses and a quick journey into the city for match day for me and keep the mrs happy with shopping

and an area that will have decent local pub within walikng distance. Warm friendly pubs that offer decent beer and decent entertainment on a friday, saturday night.

I dont want much do i?! any advice is much appreciated, cheers

I believe the neighborhood you described is in an area called Utopia. Santa Clause has a summer home there, too. But realy, good luck on your search.

[quote user="Bryangunnshairline"]sorry its not football related, I just wanted some advice on moving to norwich. I grew up just outside norwich and left in my late teens to join the army (since left). I am a season ticket holder and live 3 hours away but have the opportunity to move back to the city in the next 6 ish months due to my current job. I have been looking online at places to live. I was looking at the sprowston, old catton and thorpe st andrew areas on the east side of the city. Are these good areas? what i need: a nice area with a nice neighbourhood, i dont want to hear half the streets husbands are currently locked up! and youths drinking in the streets at stupid o''clock. good schools as i have a 6 year old. I believe the areas mentioned schools are good.??? good buses and a quick journey into the city for match day for me and keep the mrs happy with shopping and an area that will have decent local pub within walikng distance. Warm friendly pubs that offer decent beer and decent entertainment on a friday, saturday night. I dont want much do i?! any advice is much appreciated, cheers[/quote]

You could try a company called Temples, they rent out property to footballers on loan and those who are looking to buy, I know they have an Office in Beccles Station road, but the Norwich one is unknown to me but a friend of mine is a director (John Wicks) if anyone can advise you he can good luck.

[quote user="pete_norw"]

[quote user="Bryangunnshairline"]sorry its not football related, I just wanted some advice on moving to norwich. I grew up just outside norwich and left in my late teens to join the army (since left). I am a season ticket holder and live 3 hours away but have the opportunity to move back to the city in the next 6 ish months due to my current job. I have been looking online at places to live. I was looking at the sprowston, old catton and thorpe st andrew areas on the east side of the city. Are these good areas? what i need: a nice area with a nice neighbourhood, i dont want to hear half the streets husbands are currently locked up! and youths drinking in the streets at stupid o''clock. good schools as i have a 6 year old. I believe the areas mentioned schools are good.??? good buses and a quick journey into the city for match day for me and keep the mrs happy with shopping and an area that will have decent local pub within walikng distance. Warm friendly pubs that offer decent beer and decent entertainment on a friday, saturday night. I dont want much do i?! any advice is much appreciated, cheers[/quote]

You could try a company called Temples, they rent out property to footballers on loan and those who are looking to buy, I know they have an Office in Beccles Station road, but the Norwich one is unknown to me but a friend of mine is a director (John Wicks) if anyone can advise you he can good luck.

[/quote]

If he can''t afford a car he is not going to be on footballer''s wages is he?

Sprowston''s schools are pretty decent and most of the areas in Sprowston are nice areas. It''s got a few decent pubs in The Brickmakers and The Blue Boar. There are others but I''ve never really frequented them so not sure what they''re like.Old Catton I have no idea what the schools are like but there''s a great pub called The Maids Head which has all of the football on in there. You have to check the boards to see what games they''re showing though as they''re not always the "advertised" ones on your "traditional money robbing channels." The Maids also has lots of entertainment pretty much every weekend and quizes during the weeks sometimes, a darts team, and a pool team I think. There''s also The Woodman and another on the North Walsham Road which name I can''t remember. Old Catton has a few more sketchy areas than Sprowston in my opinion but that is just my opinion and no offence is intended to people who live in Old Catton. That''s just my experiences growing up.Don''t really know anything about Thorpe St. Andrew.The buses run every 10/20 minutes in Sprowston and I think every 20/30 in Old Catton.Another village you could look at is Spixworth. It''s the next village out from Old Catton. It''s got a great school, Pretty much all a nice area, a pub that shows the football on them there "other channels," a Motel that I think shows the Sky football, and a social club. The social club has entertainment most weeks and I think the pub has live music every now and then. However the bus service isn''t that great. They''re every half hour but they stop running at 6 so if you want to head into the city after that it''s a taxi or a lift.Hope this helps.

i live in the city centre but right on the verge of lakenham, which isn''t the most pleasant of places lol. but id say thorpe st andrew or thorpe end. the areas are relatively quiet/nice and is very close to carrow road/riverside and has lovely pubs, bars along the river in thorpe. this is coming from a 16 year old but its only a little bit of info haha

Concentrate on getting the school right and then rent for 6-12 months whilst you do your own research for the exact area you want and house prices fall a little bit more.

Mark .Y.

Thorpe St Andrew best of the bunch you have mentioned I would suggest although all of them are OK with some good schools.  Thorpe has a few good primary schools and a good high school, good transport links into the City centre and is walkable/bikeable to Carrow Road (well, the nearer bits of Thorpe are).  Good luck in your search and hope you get back to the Fine City soon!

[quote user="Joanna Grey"][quote user="pete_norw"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

They don''t just rent out property to Footballers, just thought I''d mention his company and he could advise where there were places and price range thats all, excuse me for breathing

[quote user="pete_norw"][quote user="Joanna Grey"][quote user="pete_norw"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

They don''t just rent out property to Footballers, just thought I''d mention his company and he could advise where there were places and price range thats all, excuse me for breathing

[/quote]

Doubt it, if you do a search on their website for rented properties in the areas mentioned, you get;

No records found in your search. You may be interested in the properties below.

thank you all for the information, no negative comments there. For the record I can afford a car and do have one! I drive for 3 long hours each way for a home game. would just be nice to have a decent bus route so we dont have to drive all the time and on match day i can enjoy a few beers!!

Renting sounds like a good idea and get the school right first. cheers people appreciate the advice.

I live on a little estate near the boundry crossing, sounds busy and not the best loaction but it''s a nice quiet little estate, got a nice ground floor flat with a wee garden. Not far too drive into the city and Buses are every 15 mins. Not sure about schools though as i''m 21 and Mrs is 20 and we have no kids.

try using the website rightmove.co.uk as all local agents advertise their properties on this portal.

on the page of an property u will find a map. on this map u can highlight schools in the area then read the ofstead report for that school. the areas u mention are all nice family areas however the schools dont get the best reports from ofstead especially sprowston.i know this as im now checking out moving myself.

the main problem is when a nice house in these areas become available they r often taken before u get a chance to view them.dont bother about registering with local agents as they never bother to call u when something is suitable.u will have to be on the ball every second of the day and call for viewings the momment a property is posted.it is not easy to get a good property because there is such high demand atm.

good luck    mastoola

As mastoola says, decent properties are going very quickly at the moment; they did this time last year. Also agree about them not calling you. Did find WH Brown were ok at doing this though last year.Recent Ofsted reports can be misleading as the Ofsted criteria was changed  and the new batch of reports do not correlate with those of 2 years+ old. Ultimately your child needs to be happy and enjoy Primary school. Where this is met, they will learn.Thorpe St Andrew - St William''s and Dussindale are both good schools; the children are well supported and enjoy their learning there; they know they are there to learn; the schools have a good ethos; sports a strength.