Sign in to follow this  
Mungo Bumpkin

Jonny foreigners

As our brave lads are off in foreign climes I got to thinking who was the first properly foreign player I saw at Carrow Road (not counting goalies born on the sub continent etc).

The scummers had Arnold Muhren and Frans Thijsen, Tottingham had Ossie Ardiles and Rickie Vila and Birmingham had another Argie whose name I can''t recall.

Any before that?

Mungo

Personally it was Dennis Van Wyk!

There was Sandy Kennon in the 59ers,but i never saw him.

I did see the Spurs Argentinians at WHL when i was a kid,but i don''t remember much about it.

Walter W Bowman can now take his place at the head of an illustrious band of footballers. The Canadian, according to new research, was the first foreigner to play professionally in English football - way back in 1892.

Did Bert Trautman play against city, clyde best played for west ham in early to mid 70''s

What an extraordinarily offensive post.  If you can''t even remember the first non British player you saw at Carrow Road you are obviously as dense as your pinkun name would suggest.

Is your favourite comedian Jim Davidson by any chance?

I''m afraid I can''t remember the first non-British player I saw at CR either, but I''m fairly sure that doesn''t make me a big ol'' racist (as you seem to be suggesting).

Offensive? How so? I''ve being going to Carra Rus for a long time . All the players mentioned came into the old divvy one at about the same time (late 70s), certainly can''t remember whther we played Ipswich or Spurs first that season. Can you remeber the first player born in Northamptonshire you ever saw at Carrow Road? If not, why not?

Mungo

[quote user="dylanisabaddog"]

What an extraordinarily offensive post.  If you can''t even remember the first non British player you saw at Carrow Road you are obviously as dense as your pinkun name would suggest.

[/quote]

I take it this is a pee take?

[/quote]

Can''t see why the post is offensive at all, we are to politically correct these days and you included by the nature of your post.

Can''t see why it is offensive either.Title''s a bit crap,but that''s about it!

Errol Crossan who starred in our greatest ever cup run, was Canadian. Terrific winger of the old school.

Re: the Birmingham signing from Argentina mentioned above. It was Alberto Tarantino and Jim Smith (Birmingham manager) paraded him on TV  like the new Pele. Jim was so chuffed.

Unfortunately, Alberto was a bit of a play-boy, liked the Brum night clubs and ladies to much and wasn''t too keen on attending the English lessons that the club had set-up for him.

Alberto will settle in when he''s leant English, said a hopeful "Bald Eagle" during one local TV interview.

He had a few brilliant moments, but was a flop overall, with no appetite for the rough Division One centre-halfs or the cold English winters. He went home with his fortune and his tale between his legs. 

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]

Errol Crossan who starred in our greatest ever cup run, was Canadian. Terrific winger of the old school.

Re: the Birmingham signing from Argentina mentioned above. It was Alberto Tarantino and Jim Smith (Birmingham manager) paraded him on TV  like the new Pele. Jim was so chuffed.

Unfortunately, Alberto was a bit of a play-boy, liked the Brum night clubs and ladies to much and wasn''t too keen on attending the English lessons that the club had set-up for him.

Alberto will settle in when he''s leant English, said a hopeful "Bald Eagle" during one local TV interview.

He had a few brilliant moments, but was a flop overall, with no appetite for the rough Division One centre-halfs or the cold English winters. He went home with his fortune and his tale between his legs. 

[/quote]

Crossan is my all time Greatest NCFC player. A real Legend.

By the tightest of definitions 42% (or nearly half) of the famous 12 who made up the 1958-59 FA Cup legends were ''Johnny Foreigners''.

Sandy Kennon (South Africa), Matt Crowe (Scotland), Errol Crossan (Canada), Jimmy Hill (Northern Ireland) and Bobby Brennan (Northern Ireland) - not to forget manager Arhie Macaulay (Scotland).

OTBC

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

By the tightest of definitions 42% (or nearly half) of the famous 12 who made up the 1958-59 FA Cup legends were ''Johnny Foreigners''.

Sandy Kennon (South Africa), Matt Crowe (Scotland), Errol Crossan (Canada), Jimmy Hill (Northern Ireland) and Bobby Brennan (Northern Ireland) - not to forget manager Arhie Macaulay (Scotland).

OTBC

[/quote]

I think you''re stretching it a bit there BBB. All the Scots and N. Irish are Brits, I think the O/P was meaning more abroad that..

Sandy Kennon was a latecomer, following Ken Nethercott''s injury, and he was an instant success. Funny how these glorious times stick in the memeory, I was an under eleven then, but remember it all clearly. The City buzzed with it constatntly, we did school projects on it and we were constantly in the national media. The bursting of the bubble was by an average (DIv. 1) Leicester side, who we were all glad to see  thumped in the final.

Would Drazan Musinic be one of the early genuine recruits from abroad, even though he came as late as the John Bond era? By "tgenuine" I mean that he was not a colonial like Crossan, Keenon or Keelan.who drifted in, but a strange name with.a massive reputation for whom we paid a lot, relatively speaking: £600,000, some time before Clough broke the million barrier on Trevor Francis.. Drazen flopped and Bondie had to admit later that he had never actually seem the player in person, either on the field or in the Boardroon,. before the deal was  struck.

As captain and stalwart of a decent Yugoslavian team, it seemed a good shout at the time and is probably mentioned in the above threads..

After that, we''ve had a consistent streeam, some good, some bad .Of the foreigh imports, the French seemed to come of least of all for some reason and there were some horror stoies with that lot.

I would say "Lambert beware," but I should assumes he will only buy from the German League, if he ventures abroad. 

[quote user="Mungo Bumpkin"]As our brave lads are off in foreign climes I got to thinking who was the first properly foreign player I saw at Carrow Road (not counting goalies born on the sub continent etc). The scummers had Arnold Muhren and Frans Thijsen, Tottingham had Ossie Ardiles and Rickie Vila and Birmingham had another Argie whose name I can''t recall. Any before that? Mungo[/quote]

From my time of watching the Canaries, Sandy Kennon would be my first ''foreign'' Canary but I can''t think of anyone else until Drazen Muzinic who was closely followed by Kiwi brothers Wynton and Shane Rufer.  As for players against us I suppose Clyde Best may have been one of the first.

[quote user="Lord Horn"]

[quote user="Mungo Bumpkin"]As our brave lads are off in foreign climes I got to thinking who was the first properly foreign player I saw at Carrow Road (not counting goalies born on the sub continent etc). The scummers had Arnold Muhren and Frans Thijsen, Tottingham had Ossie Ardiles and Rickie Vila and Birmingham had another Argie whose name I can''t recall. Any before that? Mungo[/quote]

From my time of watching the Canaries, Sandy Kennon would be my first ''foreign'' Canary but I can''t think of anyone else until Drazen Muzinic who was closely followed by Kiwi brothers Wynton and Shane Rufer.  As for players against us I suppose Clyde Best may have been one of the first.

[/quote]

Having said Clyde Best, I think I probably saw Albert Johanneson (South African) play for Leeds against us in the early 60s.

[quote user="Lord Horn"][quote user="Lord Horn"]

[/quote]

Having said Clyde Best, I think I probably saw Albert Johanneson (South African) play for Leeds against us in the early 60s.

[/quote]

I remember watching Lindy Delapenha (Jamaica) as player-manager of Mansfield Town at Carrow Road around 1960-61. As I recall we thumped 5 past them the day. Was that the day that Jimmy Hill flashed in a 40 yarder out of the blue - or was that against Port Vale???

Lindy had won Division 1 with Portsmouth and then played with Brian Clough at Middlesborough but of course he was on his way out as a player by the time I saw him.

OTBC

[quote user="Lord Horn"]

[/quote]

It has also been established that it was probably Errol Crossan and that Sandy arrived late the THAT Cup-run. (1959.)

[quote user="BroadstairsR"][quote user="Lord Horn"]

[/quote]

It has also been established that it was probably Errol Crossan and that Sandy arrived late the THAT Cup-run. (1959.)

[/quote]

Think you''re right there - but, unfortunately, too young to have seen Errol play - just caught the tail end of Sandy before KK turned up between the sticks!

[/quote]

Offensive !!! some people make me die!! how is it offensive... It''s not. I find you offensive for even writing that post.... Muppet.

I guess mine would have been Muzinic, but Mungo no one would have seen the Rufer''s.  We only had Wynton over here i think and he never played as he couldn''t get a work permit.

[quote user="Nolly"]I guess mine would have been Muzinic, but Mungo no one would have seen the Rufer''s.  We only had Wynton over here i think and he never played as he couldn''t get a work permit.[/quote]

That''s quite right...although a girl I worked with went out with Wynton for a while.  I think he played in a few pre-season friendlies but never in a competitive game because of the work permit issue.  He went on to star in Germany and score in a couple of Euro finals I think??

the first game i ever saw had just 1 foreign player, A goalkeeper named Ludek Miklosko who was at west ham in the 90''s. As far as i can remember city didnt have a single non British player in the side that day.

I''ve only been going since the mid-to-late 1980s, but the first foreign player I remember at Carrow Road was Mirandinha playing for Brazil. As far as NCFC goes, I faintly remember Henrik Mortensen, although from what I''ve heard about him since it''s probably for the best... [;)]

[quote user="Coelho"]I''ve only been going since the mid-to-late 1980s, but the first foreign player I remember at Carrow Road was Mirandinha playing for Brazil. As far as NCFC goes, I faintly remember Henrik Mortensen, although from what I''ve heard about him since it''s probably for the best... [;)][/quote]*the Brazilian Mirandinha playing for Newcastle. D''oh.

Drazen Muzinic must have been the first overseas Norwich player I saw. A lesson, which has gone unheeded by managers since then, on the potential pitfalls of signing blokes you''ve never seen play. He looked about 50!

I remeber the Mirandinha game - it was his debut in English football. Newcastle also had a fresh-faced Gazza playing for them.

Mungo

[quote user="L4cole"][quote user="dylanisabaddog"]

[/quote]

Offensive !!! some people make me die!! how is it offensive... It''s not. I find you offensive for even writing that post.... Muppet.

[/quote]

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=674916

At least the foreigner who posted this article knows how to spell ''Johnny''

For the sake of the reputation of our club, I hope we don''t sign a foreigner this summer.  If we did, would you call him Johnny Foreigner to his face?

It is an outdated derogatory phrase expressed by ignorant Englishmen about anyone who wasn''t born here.

[quote user="dylanisabaddog"][quote user="L4cole"][quote user="dylanisabaddog"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

For the sake of the reputation of our club, I hope we don''t sign a foreigner this summer.  If we did, would you call him Johnny Foreigner to his face?

It is an outdated derogatory phrase expressed by ignorant Englishmen about anyone who wasn''t born here.

[/quote]

Un-bloody-believable

[quote user="dylanisabaddog"][quote user="L4cole"][quote user="dylanisabaddog"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

May i also add that the persons who said " JF" also added "Go home". You are a part off the problem and you cannot see it.