Sign in to follow this  
Oswald Cobblepot

So . . . No Central defender by the look of things

Probably the youngest poster on the thread comes up with the most reasoned and sensible post-well said Alejandra.

Re. Ward, it is no coincidence that Holt name-checked him as one of the reasons for our success saying something like "when you`ve got quality like Ward at the back pinging 40-yard balls straight to your chest, you`ve always got a chance". A huge part of our success is that Lambert has built a team who CAN KEEP HOLD OF THE BALL, instead of hoofmeisters like Doc and Nelson- and people are whinging about the odd mistake (which ALL defenders make anyway)??! Get a grip. Not only are we playing the famed "Norwich way", we are playing attacking football in a style most suited to taking on the Premier league. We should be celebrating.

What I don''t fully understand is the expectations some people have had. Lambert made is clear from day one the club would not pay extortionate wages (ie 40/50k a week) for one player. The rest of our squad are on nowhere near that much and I imagine bringing in a player who earns potentially two or three times more than anybody else would result in a few unhappy players considering asking for a pay rise. Baring Lambert''s policy of not paying silly money each week for a player''s wages, I really can''t think of a marquee center back, with premiership experience, that was available for transfer/free signing, that would match our wage budget.

[quote user="GJP"]

Not more of this Elliott Ward isn''t/won''t be good enough rubbish.

Where do people get this from? He played 39 of 46 leagues games last season. He blocked and headed things away all season long and when he had the ball at his feet he used it well.

I mean since I''ve been coming on this messageboard I have seen some really silly opinions. People say things about players and while they''re entitled to their opinion you can see that some people just don''t know what they''re on about.

The Elliott Ward stuff is just a load of nonsense. He had an excellent season and neither Whitbread nor Barnett (who I both rate too) have shown anything to suggest they''re better equipped for the Premier League.

[/quote]

Totally agree with this and also with Alejandra''s excellent post. There seem to be a lot of people on here that can''t have been watching the same games I saw last season. I saw Ward play about 25 times and thought he was mostly excellent.  The centre back area is stronger than it has been for many years in my opinion  and Barnett coming back is like a new signing. Some people don''t seem to realise that the reason we conceded quite a few goals last year was not necessarily down to having poor defenders, it was because of the very attacking formation we used - tactics that won us back to back promotions but not necessarily tactics that will be deployed week in week out in the Premiership.

I wish I hadn''t seen this thread as it''s really angered me.  We need to get behind the team and stop attacking individuals on here - what if the players read these comments?! That''s really going to help confidence levels going into one of the most important seasons in our history isn''t it!  I just hope that this negativity doesn''t manifest itself in the stands as if it does we will be doomed.

Remember Lambert has played at the very highest level himself - I think if he thought we needed another CB he would have done everything in his power to get one. And I''m sure Lambert would love Roger Johnson in the team but get real! £7m? We''ve got more than enough Defenders for now and Lambert has wisely kept some contingency back for January in case things aren''t working out.

Should I be the first to point out that Naughton is brilliant? Could easily be as good for us as Kyle Walker was for Villa. Cracking signing.

I think there will be 2 more signings. I know Lambert said "seven players" but I honestly think he said that to keep the fans on his side. Plus at that point he may not of realised there are still a few gaps in the squad.

Naughton on the other hand I think is a very good signing, and centre back will be okay. Lambert and Culverhouse will get them playing well, and I don''t think it is too much of an issue, yeah we could do with another but I think a number 2 goalkeeper is more important.

I think there will be two more players coming in personally.

[quote user="YellowLittle1"] I think there will be 2 more signings. I know Lambert said "seven players" but I honestly think he said that to keep the fans on his side. Plus at that point he may not of realised there are still a few gaps in the squad.

[/quote]

He did not realise? Seriously?

[quote user="YellowLittle1"]

Naughton on the other hand I think is a very good signing, and centre back will be okay. Lambert and Culverhouse will get them playing well, and I don''t think it is too much of an issue, yeah we could do with another but I think a number 2 goalkeeper is more important. I think there will be two more players coming in personally. [/quote]

RE: the number 2 goalkeeper; if we bring in an experienced pro at the end of his career who does not want too much cash and will be content to sit on the bench and just train with the team (as Rudd will be playing all the PL reserve games) then that may be the answer.

I''m always amazed by how quick people are with their opinions on here.

I would suggest that Lambert has already demonstrated that he knows what he''s doing, perhaps more so than the Championship Manager heros we find on here.

Let''s see what happens before we start moaning.  There''s always January if it needs fixing.

[quote user="Francesco Volpe"][quote user="Cantiaci Canary"]I really don''t think Roger Johnson was a possibility. Wolves have had back to back Premiership campaigns and he already lives in the area. [/quote] Yeah maybe you''re right, and maybe it wouldn''t have been easy for the afforementioned reasons . . . however worth a shot surely?? If you don''t ask, you don''t get!![/quote]

How do you know we didn''t ask?

I seriosuly doubt there is £7m left in the transfer fund, even if you pool in the money being saved for Jan. Anyway, it''s not really about the fee but more about the wages - no way can we compete with Wolves at the moment - especially when we have just added seven extra players to the wage bill and only lost Askou, Gill, Daley and that youth player who''s name I can never remember.

Two of the best signings we ever made were last minute deals, days before the season started...Mark Robins and Marc Edworthy.

So there might still be the odd gem and surprise deal in the days leading off to the Prem season kick off.

Feel the defence is looking good-and no need for a Roger Johnson either, is he really THAT much (as in £8 Million) better than what we have already?

Wondering if Lambert intends to play R Martin and Naughton in the same side, as don''t really see one keeping the other out, long term-I can''t see Tottenham letting Naughton come here unless he was going to get a good run in the team. Maybe Lambo see''s R Martin as more of a Gareth Bale this season and is going to push him forward, with Naughton playing RB?

De Laet I can see playing as left sided centre back-alongside...well, thats up for grabs.

Its nigh on impossible to second guess what the team or formation might be at the start of the season and that makes it rather exciting for the fans and puts the pressure on the players to perform and maintain that form.

[quote user="Francesco Volpe"]On the bright side . . .we have a much stronger squad than in 04/05 plus over a month until the transfer window shuts . . . So who knows, maybe Mr Lambert might pleasantly surprise us before the end of August.[/quote]Don''t think so...but I do hope so...I would''ve liked us to have had a go at Upson or even Johnson. But I don''t think Lambert will spend any more.

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]

[quote user="YellowLittle1"] I think there will be 2 more signings. I know Lambert said "seven players" but I honestly think he said that to keep the fans on his side. Plus at that point he may not of realised there are still a few gaps in the squad.

[/quote]

He did not realise? Seriously?

He may have misjudged a couple of areas, it''s just a possibility.

[quote user="YellowLittle1"]

Naughton on the other hand I think is a very good signing, and centre back will be okay. Lambert and Culverhouse will get them playing well, and I don''t think it is too much of an issue, yeah we could do with another but I think a number 2 goalkeeper is more important. I think there will be two more players coming in personally. [/quote]

RE: the number 2 goalkeeper; if we bring in an experienced pro at the end of his career who does not want too much cash and will be content to sit on the bench and just train with the team (as Rudd will be playing all the PL reserve games) then that may be the answer.

[/quote]

That''s what I have been saying, I said in previous posts. Marcus Hahnemann. Maik Taylor. A goalkeeper who can offer experience and maybe looking to become a goalkeeping coach. Carlo Cudicini. I don''t know is these particular three want to become coaches, but I am sure there is someone with a wealth of experience at the top level who can fit that role.

Like Paul Crichton done with Greeno I guess.

Wondering if Lambert intends to play R Martin and Naughton in the same side, as don''t really see one keeping the other out, long term-I can''t see Tottenham letting Naughton come here unless he was going to get a good run in the team. Maybe Lambo see''s R Martin as more of a Gareth Bale this season and is going to push him forward, with Naughton playing RB?

Thats an effing great shout

"Suspect that we have three viable LBs in Tierney, Drury and De Laet (if nott playinmg as afirst choice CB) before Lappin and Smith come into contention"

Yes, De Laet, too, would be ahead of Lappin & Smith in the pecking order for LB. But I was assuming De Laet is likely to be a starting CB.

Re Drury, my personal feeling is that his best days are behind him and that Bradley Johnson would be ahead of him (likewise if he is not playing DM).

I agree with bjg23, Naughton looks a really cracking signing. Pacy and very highly rated by some Leicester fans. Can also play right midfield. A real coup I think.

[quote user="Ncfc26"]Wondering if Lambert intends to play R Martin and Naughton in the same side, as don''t really see one keeping the other out, long term-I can''t see Tottenham letting Naughton come here unless he was going to get a good run in the team. Maybe Lambo see''s R Martin as more of a Gareth Bale this season and is going to push him forward, with Naughton playing RB?

Thats an effing great shout[/quote]

Possibly the other way round? Naughton is mega-attacking, could be played as a right midfielder.

Kyle Naughton is a cracking player and was considered a better prospect then kyle walker. As much as i like Russel Martin he will be overtaken this season and that''s fine martin is a cracking cover right back. And crofts number 1 or whatever your name is. I am fed up with your immature comments and trying to assert authority on this board. Your a nobody we are all equal leave people alone stop trying to be a bully.

[quote user="Better Wizard"]Kyle Naughton is a cracking player and was considered a better prospect then kyle walker. As much as i like Russel Martin he will be overtaken this season and that''s fine martin is a cracking cover right back. And crofts number 1 or whatever your name is. I am fed up with your immature comments and trying to assert authority on this board. Your a nobody we are all equal leave people alone stop trying to be a bully.[/quote]

You tell him he is a nobody and that he should stop bullying people contradiction slightly?

No because im sticking up for the people he tries to talk down too.

Yes you stick up for the people who he puts down by putting him down doesn''t work does it?

This is a discussion bout our central defenders if you can''t have a discussion without it turning into an argument don''t think you should use forums like this.

As last season came to a close I thought Russell Martin was truly magnificent bombing up and down the right. In doing so, I also realised he left an acre of space behind him – a void that a team like Arsenal would exploit to become a goal-scoring chance in 2 or 3 lightning-quick passes.

Now we have Bennett and Pilkington fighting for the wide-right berth, we can afford to play our right back a little deeper if we choose. That said, how can we accommodate both Russell Martin and Kyle Naughton behind one of our new wingers?  Do people suggesting this as a possibility mean one of them (R. Martin & Naughton) should effectively operate as a RH midfielder?

Thanks G i wasn''t looking for argument like i said Naughton is a cracking player and i expect him to take over i think he has that extra bit of quality. still love russle martin top pro

I think you will find G and Better Wizard I was just saying if you are going to tell somebody not to do something, something which I agree with may I add, don''t then do this to the other person because this undermines your point completley as for the Cb debate we dont need another

ok ncfc 26 understand your point but crofts set me over the edge he does it everyday and i got fed up with his ways. I want to have a good discussion about football and politics nothing else. We need the good old posters back such as 1st wizard and arthur.

Better wizard i will apologise for being a bit sarcastic and argumentitive and agree to the more debating about real matters not sure about more first wiz though1

First wiz i got wrong about before too. I thought he was the exact poster we didn''t want but i retract from that he actually aint too bad and he''s a character to have around. Glad we sorted our differences anyway

I am concerned about our defence, especially the back 4. The facts are we conceeded 58 goals last season and are going into a season facing better strikers with the same back 4 and 2 inexperienced youngsters.

I do not see this back 4 as better than the 04 model, and they only conceeded 35 goals in the championship. That team conceeded 70+ premier goals. The difference in class of striker remains the same - far better pace, power and movement up front. Our team last season conceeded too many goals through the middle pairing.

As far as the loanees are concerned my only issue is that we are likely to see a repeat of previous problems with inexperienced premier loanees (from Bentley, through Gibbs, Betrand, to Lansbury & Pacecho last season) - they are talented but are unable to perform consistently week in week out. That is most crucial in defence which are always most effective once a partnership is formed & maintained.

In midfield and up front we have a deeper squad than last time and real option - so we can change things if we are not scoring - so I dont think scoring goals will be a problem (in particular we have strong deadball skills from Fox & Hoolahan that will help in set piece situations)

More of a challenge will be keeping the goals conceeded below the number we net - and that is what we will need to do to avoid relegation.

Fingers crossed I am proved wrong, but I am struggling to how we will concede less goals with the same defence against better teams - and conceeding 55+ goals nearly always leaves a premier team relegated.