Sign in to follow this  
Oswald Cobblepot

So . . . No Central defender by the look of things

With Naughtonsigning on a season long loan, PL has said that his business is done for now . . . Which I''m assuming will be until at least January before we might see any new faces.

So it looks like we''re going to be relying on Barnett/Ward/Whitbread as our main centre backs. Looks like De Laet will probably be deployed as primarily centre back in this case. Although I have every faith that the 3 lads already here can do a good job for us, I would''ve liked to see another centre back come in to at least give more competition if not someone with experience to help out.

I just hope we can tighten things up back there because we can''t concede as many as last year and get away with it this time. Still think we''ll be fine though! :-)

Thoughts???

V.poor decision not to sign a proper DC IMO. Obviously he has De Laet in mind as just a DC.

Not happy with this at all personally!!

I still fancy our chances better with Barrnet, Whitbread, Ward and De Laet in the top flight then when we were last there with Flemming, Charlton, Doc and Graham.Plus we wont need to worry about defending with all of the goals we have scored now that we have signed so many attacking players [;)]

Ward is shite!! Shouldn''t be classed as a 4th defender IMO.

Guess I will just have to keep faith as defo loos like end of the spending now.

Hopefully he and others prove me wrong.

De Laet has been brought in as the 4th DC. Lambert has stated this point several times. Try and keep up people.

Stop moaning we have plenty of defendersRB: R Martin, Naughton, FrancombCB: Ward, BarnettCB: Whitbread, De LaetLB: Tierney, Drury, S SmithLooks pretty good to me. Worst case scenario if three of the CBs are injured Russel Martin can play there with Naughton right-back.

[quote user="Mervmeister"]Ward is shite!! Shouldn''t be classed as a 4th defender IMO.

Hopefully he and others prove me wrong.[/quote]F*ck off. He was consistent and reliable all season and was at fault for less goals for Whitbread and possibly Barnett.

[quote user="Crofts Number 1 Wizard"]Stop moaning we have plenty of defenders

RB: R Martin, Naughton, Francomb
CB: Ward, Barnett
CB: Whitbread, De Laet
LB: Tierney, Drury, S Smith

Looks pretty good to me. Worst case scenario if three of the CBs are injured Russel Martin can play there with Naughton right-back.
[/quote]

Smith won''t be named in the Squad though so Lappin is (and was) our third choice LB.

Da Laet is the CB, originally thought he was the RB cove but judging by pre season games and the Naughton signing its obvious he will play CB. Happy we''ve bought in 2 new defensive options, defianately stregthened the squad and starting 11.

In Lambert we trust

[quote user="Mervmeister"]Ward is shite!! Shouldn''t be classed as a 4th defender IMO.

Hopefully he and others prove me wrong.[/quote]I agree about Ward and really cannot see how anyone who has seen him play this year cannot see how dodgy he is. He is good with the ball at his feet for a defender but that is not what is essential. I would much prefer Nelson''s no nonsense and safer approach than having captain dodge anywhere near the carrow rd pitch.The situation with Ward reminds me a bit of the Doc, i had no idea how some people rated him.I am a bit bemused that we have used our last loan spot for a RB, i would have bought in some cheap cover and hope Martin stays fit and then save out loan spot till a bit later in the summer, when clubs have worked out which players are surplus to requirements, we then could have loaned an experienced CB. The reason Whitbred is better than Ward is that Whitbred has much better positioning, which makes up for his lack of any speed at allI am not ripping on Lambert before people have a go saying have faith in him, i do have faith in him, but it does not mean we cannot question his decisions sometimes.I am sure De Laet will be starting for us within the first 5 games of the prem, alongside Whitbred or Barnett.

I trust Lambert fully but am concerned about the quality of our centre backs. This is our weakest link in my eyes and will get a severe testing every game!

Lamberts slipped up here in my opinion sadly.

We needed a primary centre back capable of covering right back. Didnt happen.

Our central defenders will struggle, and thats before injuries.

So much for the "all cash goes in the transfer kitty" crap. We''ve underspent....again.

That CB would have completed the puzzle, Lambert has signed a good RB oposed to a good CB capable of covering RB, imo.

[quote user="Thecanaryfan"]So much for the "all cash goes in the transfer kitty" crap. We''ve underspent....again.[/quote]You do know we have spent more money this summer than we have at any other point in our history don''t you?

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"][quote user="Thecanaryfan"]So much for the "all cash goes in the transfer kitty" crap. We''ve underspent....again.[/quote]
You do know we have spent more money this summer than we have at any other point in our history don''t you?
[/quote]

Yes, but that isnt really a valid point though is it?

Our defence needed improving more than any other part of the pitch and that is what has been neglected the most. Sorry if injuries kick in with the CBs were in serious trouble.

We have the funds in place, an additional proven CB wouldnt have broken the bank.

[quote user="Thecanaryfan"]

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"][quote user="Thecanaryfan"]So much for the "all cash goes in the transfer kitty" crap. We''ve underspent....again.[/quote]You do know we have spent more money this summer than we have at any other point in our history don''t you?[/quote]

Yes, but that isnt really a valid point though is it?

Our defence needed improving more than any other part of the pitch and that is what has been neglected the most. Sorry if injuries kick in with the CBs were in serious trouble.

We have the funds in place, an additional proven CB wouldnt have broken the bank.

[/quote]How much does an experienced, proven CB cost by chance?

I have to agree with you on the most part Canaryfan.

Yes, I think Lambert missed a trick in not getting at least one out and out centre back. Some argue that De Laet is here for that purpose, and in all probability that is the case. However what is his strongest position?? From what I can see, he is more a young, promising defender who is more of a utility player that can fill in anywhere across the back line rather than having mastered one particular role within the defence. Great if it works out and he blossoms for us, but I''m not sure that having him at the heart of the defence whilst still learning the game and trying to develop himself will necessarily work out. I pray it does.

Yes we may have spent more than at any other point up until now, but in theory we should still have had plenty left in the way of funds, by my reckoning around at least another 5-7mill including any surplus to be kept aside for January. I''m sure we could''ve put this towards a centre back with a bit of nous and experience, to provide at least strong competition.

We need a leader in that back line . . . although very good defenders at championship level, our lot are so far unproven at prem level, they may excel, they may not. No one in particular stands out as a natural leader. Maybe Barnett can take the role up . . . but when they lack that experience, a bit of guidance can go a long way to improving them not only as individuals, but collectively as a defensive unit. I think someone like Matthew Upson would''ve been ideal in that respect. And yes, wages might''ve been a stumbling block, but I feel it would have been a wise investment by PL. Certainly a much better investment than the "vastly experienced Prem signing" than Simon Charlton was.

Or maybe even Roger Johnson . . . yes 7mill was a lot of money, but why not . . . the money is there, and if Wolves could sign him, I don''t see why we couldn''t. What a statement of intent that would''ve been. No more questions would''ve been raised on the topic had the club unveiled him as one of our own. In fact, I dare say, some on here would probably even have been getting carried away thinking of a top half/european spot finish.

On the bright side . . .we have a much stronger squad than in 04/05 plus over a month until the transfer window shuts . . . So who knows, maybe Mr Lambert might pleasantly surprise us before the end of August.

The problem with going for players like Upson is not only that his wages would be high, its that they would be around twice what anyone else at the club is on.

Our success has been built on team spirit, and there''d be no quicker way to spoil that than to airdrop in a ''superstar'' on 50k a week.

Also Upson was shit last season.

[quote user="Cantiaci Canary"]I really don''t think Roger Johnson was a possibility. Wolves have had back to back Premiership campaigns and he already lives in the area. [/quote]

Yeah maybe you''re right, and maybe it wouldn''t have been easy for the afforementioned reasons . . . however worth a shot surely?? If you don''t ask, you don''t get!!

De Laet is the new centre back, he is not right back cover or left back cover, he is another centre back for us.  I just hope to god though he is good enough because I have faith in Barnett but not Whitbread and Ward and I hope De Laet can be Barnett''s new partner.

One thing ive noticed on this forum and thats harsh negativity towards some of the players.  When I used to be a casual reader it was hating on the team and saying they wernt up for the job at the start of the league one campaign. It was then the same at the start of the championship campaign, and its deja vu all over again.  It''s like a moaning syndrome.  Has the last 2 years skipped everyones minds?  Norwich arn''t Man City/Utd or even a Wolves at the moment, to think otherwise is just fooling yourself.  Wolves have managed to keep within the premier league for 2 successful years and about to start their 3rd year.  It''s Norwich''s first full season back in the premier league, and the last time they were here they failed at the first hurdle.  Your not going to get an established defender risk coming to the club until the team itself has become established and managed to stay within the league for longer than a season.  For where Norwich have amazingly got themselves in the last 2 years I think the squad will have a good go at finishing 17th in the prem, and that will be a brilliant achievement.Also, how can you say someone won''t perform (or the team won''t?) if they haven''t even kicked off the season yet, that''s just stupidity.

A lot of people are talking in the past tense here!

PL may have said we now have the number of new players we need, but we don''t know who else he may be looking at do we?

From a negotiation point-of-view it is wise to indicate we may be complete rather than appearing desperate to sign an experienced central defender with an over-inflated fee.

If we''re done, we go with it - but I''ve a hunch there''s another permanent signing yet to arrive...

Not more of this Elliott Ward isn''t/won''t be good enough rubbish.

Where do people get this from? He played 39 of 46 leagues games last season. He blocked and headed things away all season long and when he had the ball at his feet he used it well.

I mean since I''ve been coming on this messageboard I have seen some really silly opinions. People say things about players and while they''re entitled to their opinion you can see that some people just don''t know what they''re on about.

The Elliott Ward stuff is just a load of nonsense. He had an excellent season and neither Whitbread nor Barnett (who I both rate too) have shown anything to suggest they''re better equipped for the Premier League.

I find it difficult to agree with much that has been said on this thread.

The defensive set-up (the players and the options) is the best that I can remember. If somebody wants to cite better, they will have to go back a long time. Neither the ultimate fan''s favourite Nelson nor the one-time player of the season Doherty would stand a chance of  being in this team. Simon Charlton, no thanks. Jason Shackell, not likely. Craig Fleming, just about. We have three proven and competent central defenders who played their full part in the not insignificant achievements of last season. Add DeLaet to this equation and I consider us to be as strong or stronger in this area than many of the teams we will meet next season.

There is also plenty of quality and quality cover in the full back positions.

In addition  to this, we seem to have our fair share of versatile defenders who are not restricted to one role. This is both intentional and invaluable.

The critics mention last season''s goals against column as suggesting that this area of the squad is weak. Not all goals are a result of defensive errors, the  opposing forwards play their part. We were subject to a few stunners. There is some creedance in the view that our emphasis upon attack left us exposed at the back, so maybe we lacked a defensive element in mid-field. We did  seem to play catch-up a lot and we often seemed to be a goal down before we started, but I cannot think of many instances when defensive misgivings brought about this situation, although our organisation when facing free kicks outside of the box was poor and costly at times.

The whole back five improved as the season progressed, not least Ruddy. This is what is supposed to happen as players gel, improve and gain confidence. I am certain that the players we have will step further upto the mark next season. Clearly some are not.

[quote user="GJP"]

Not more of this Elliott Ward isn''t/won''t be good enough rubbish.

Where do people get this from? He played 39 of 46 leagues games last season. He blocked and headed things away all season long and when he had the ball at his feet he used it well.

I mean since I''ve been coming on this messageboard I have seen some really silly opinions. People say things about players and while they''re entitled to their opinion you can see that some people just don''t know what they''re on about.

The Elliott Ward stuff is just a load of nonsense. He had an excellent season and neither Whitbread nor Barnett (who I both rate too) have shown anything to suggest they''re better equipped for the Premier League.

[/quote]Fully agree, in my opinion he''s been our best, most consistent centre back out of the lot! Add to that he easily has the best distribution from the back as well and its clear to see that he''s one of the best we have.

[quote user="Grif"]De Laet has been brought in as the 4th DC. Lambert has stated this point several times. Try and keep up people.[/quote]

How you can you possibly know what is going through PL''s mind. He has clearly stated that he views pace at the back as being essential. This could (as opposed to will) mean that De Laet (who has pace to burn for a defender) is a first choice. Whatever happens, injuries, suspensions and the need to ensure that we pick the most in form players is going to mean that most of the core squad will get game time this year.

[quote user="CambsCanary"]Johnson has also played LB for Leeds a few times - suspect he''ll get in ahead of Steven Smith and maybe even Lappin for that position.[/quote]

I suspect that we have three viable LBs in Tierney, Drury and De Laet (if nott playinmg as  afirst choice CB) before Lappin and Smith come into contention.