Thecanaryfan

Starting lineup to face Wigan

This is what I reckon.......

Ruddy

Martin      Ward    Bennett    De Laet

Pilkington  Crofts  Hoolahan  Bennett

Holt        Vaughan

Subs: Morrison, Fox, Tierney, Whitbred, Jackson, Johnson, Surman

Cant see Lambo putting Rudd on the bench.

What do others reckon?

FFS........

Ruddy

Martin      Ward    Barnett    De Laet

Holt        Vaughan

Going into a premier league match with that midfield would be suicide. That is 3 purely attack minded players in midfield, how is Crofts meant to be able to withstand the pressure on his own? Also, if we play 442 I highly doubt Hoolahan would be in it - he just doesn''t fit. It would have to be 2 wingers, and probably Johnson & Crofts in the center otherwise there is just no way it will work. We conceded enough last year.

I''d be surprised to see Pilks starting as he will be a bit behind on fitness due to his injury he got last season.I would also expect Jacko to get the nod in front of Vaughan for first game of season.If you start 4-4-2, Wes would not be on the starting 11 in my opinion

[quote user="Canary Ascent"]Ruddy Martin Barnett De Laet Ilunga Bennett Crofts Fox Surman Hoolahan Holt[/quote]

£7m well spent then.

Is that a criticism of not putting the non match fit Pilkington straight in the starting line up or not playing three strikers away from home?

Holt.

Jackson. Bennett

Wessi

Surman Crofts. Martin

DeLaet Whitbread Barnett

That or the diamond with the same starting 11 we finished with last season.

[quote user="Canary Ascent"]Is that a criticism of not putting the non match fit Pilkington straight in the starting line up or not playing three strikers away from home?[/quote]

Hmmm, so we go to one of the easiest away fixtures to defend? Wigan 0 Blackpool 4

Pilkington is back in training. I imagine he will feature in the later pre season freindlies.

Pilkington isn''t in full contact training and won''t be for a few weeks. He may figure in some latter friendlies but doubt he will make the start of the season.

Hoolahan off of Holt with Bennett pushing on certainly won''t be defensive.

[quote user="Thecanaryfan"]

FFS........

Ruddy

Martin      Ward    Barnett    De Laet

Holt        Vaughan

[/quote]How can you drop R. Martin for De Laet? The team for the first game will be almost the same as that which got us promoted, maybe with Johnson in for Landsbury.Why would he drop Jackson, what was it at the end of the year...8 goals in 11 games, defo kick him to the bench.Why do you think the new signings will go straight into the side? Also, Lambert has said the Pilk may not be ready for the beginning of the season.

GK: Ruddy

DR: Martin

DL: Tierney

CB: Whitbread

CB: Barnett

MC: Fox

MC: Crofts

MR: Bennett

AMC: Hoolahan

ML: Surman

ST: Holt.

Agree with that BJG!

I feel we will be a lot more defensive away from home

Don''t think De Laet will walk into team...especially as Tierney was quality last season.

Not sure Elliott Ward is up for EPL. Got squad player, but think we need better!

I have been speculating on this every night...With the current squad, I reckon:

GK - Ruddy

RB - R Martin

LB - Tierney

CB - Whitbread

CB - Barnett

DM - Fox

MRC - Crofts

MLC - Johnson

AMC - Hoolahan

SC - Holt

SC - Jackson

Subs - Rudd, De Laet, Surman, Bennett, Pilkington,

Vaughan, Morison

TOUGH - I have had to leave out the following players that have had such an impact on this club in the last year or two - Ward, Drury, K Smith, C Martin, Lappin etc

[quote user="Pabs"]I have been speculating on this every night...With the current squad, I reckon:

GK - Ruddy

RB - R Martin

LB - Tierney

CB - Whitbread

CB - Barnett

DM - Fox

MRC - Crofts

MLC - Johnson

AMC - Hoolahan

SC - Holt

SC - Jackson

Subs - Rudd, De Laet, Surman, Bennett, Pilkington,

Vaughan, Morison

TOUGH - I have had to leave out the following players that have had such an impact on this club in the last year or two - Ward, Drury, K Smith, C Martin, Lappin etc[/quote]

I''d be happy with that starting eleven. I know Lambert has said he though Johnson played better when he dropped into centre midfield but without Fox we don''t have any real passers of the ball with the vision he has.

-----------------------Ruddy-------------------------

Martin---------Barnett--------Whitbread------Tierney

----------------------Fox-----------------------------

---------Crofts----------------Surman----------------

--------------------Hoolahan-------------------------

----------Holt--------------Morison------------------

I don''t know why, but it does intrigue me why most people have only included one or possibly two of our new signings, and are also sticking to the diamond formation: I''m not sure we will use this anywhere near as much next season, but would like it if we had the confidence to as the current squad (or those that remain) seemed to blossom on it.

I still think we will get a new defender, one that would be a starting XI guy - no idea who, though.

As for the rest, I don''t honestly have a clue yet, but here''s a stab!!

---------------------------Ruddy-------------------------

Martin---------Barnett--------Whitbread*------Tierney

Bennett---------Crofts-----Johnson-----------Surman**

------------------Holt--------------Vaughan-------------------

*or a new guy

**doubt Pilks will be fully fit

That''s 3 (possibly 4) new signings used, which seems about right given last season as a guide. No Wes, as I''ve gone 4-4-2.

I did notice someone mention the Wigan/Blackpool score from last season: that is about as irrelevant as anything could be - do we need reminding that Wigan stayed up and Blackpool didn''t?

Do you seriously think Lambert wouldnt have a sub keeper on the bench thecanaryfan?! That would be incredibly risky/reckless, what if Ruddy gets injured or sent off?! it would be game over with no sub keeper. Baffled with that suggestion

[quote user="UEA Canary"]Do you seriously think Lambert wouldnt have a sub keeper on the bench thecanaryfan?! That would be incredibly risky/reckless, what if Ruddy gets injured or sent off?! it would be game over with no sub keeper. Baffled with that suggestion[/quote]

Put Grant Holt in goal and dare the opposition to have a shot.

[quote user="Chelmsford Canary"]. Not sure Elliott Ward is up for EPL. Got squad player, but think we need better![/quote]

The same must go for Whitbread and Barnett.

There''s been nothing to show they''re better equipped than Ward. Obviously they each have their strengths and weaknesses but Ward had a brilliant season and was a huge (but seemingly quite underrated) part of why we got promoted.

[quote user="UEA Canary"]Do you seriously think Lambert wouldnt have a sub keeper on the bench thecanaryfan?! That would be incredibly risky/reckless, what if Ruddy gets injured or sent off?! it would be game over with no sub keeper. Baffled with that suggestion[/quote]

Lambert has gone with no sub goalie on many occasions.

Ruddy

R Martin Ward Whitbread Tierney

Crofts Johnson

Bennett Wes Surman

Holt

Subs

Rudd

Da Laet

Barnett

Fox

Vaughan

Jackson

Morison

Thats with current personnel at the club as of today. Not 100% sure on Pilkingtons injury but if hes fit I would assume he may replace someone on the bench.

Plenty of flexibility to play a number of formations though which bodes well......

Interesting with people''s predictions that out of the 6 new signings, none of them (apart from maybe Bennet) are being put in as a sure fire bet.

Team vs. Wigan (Lambert will go to win)

GK: Ruddy

LB: De Laet (though I rate Tierney)

CB: Whitbread

CB: Barnett

RB: Martin

LW: Surman

CM: Crofts

CM: Johnson

RW: Bennett

FW: Holt

FW: Vaughan

Subs: Rudd, Ward, Morrison, Hoolihan, Jackson, Tierney, Fox.

*Assuming Pilkington is not fit

Interesting that you believe a player is guaranteed a place in the team on the basis that they are a new signing. I don''t think its going to work that way somehow. Jackson''s first start when both Martin and Holt were actually available came against Bristol City in about October. Fox was also dropped in favour of Korey Smith for quite a long time before working his way back into the side. Even Tierney had to bide his time for a while before he replaced Drury, while Steven Smith through a mixture of injury/form failed altogether.

@ The Canary Fan

When has Lambert not had a sub goalie? I remember when Rudd got injured we specifically called up Steer (meaning he would have to miss the FA Youth Cup semis which he had been a pivotal part of) to make sure they were covered.

My Team:

------------------Ruddy

Martin--Barnett--Whitbread--Tierney

------------------Fox--------------------------

---Bennett------------Surman------------

---------------Hoolahan---------------------

------Holt--------------Jackson------------